1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fan Testing and Comparisons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 22 Apr 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you dump it into a google sheet then at least we can help with the analysis :)

cobalt6700 and LennyRhys like this.
  2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So I got this in the post today - Delta BFB1212VH. It's absolutely mahoosive for a PC blower (120 x 32mm), and it really packs a punch, developing 33mmH2O max static pressure (according to the spec sheet - I'll have to measure it myself!). I plan to make a shroud for it so I can do some thermal tests and compare it with axial fans which develop a lot less pressure but significantly more airflow.

This thing tops out at just under 40CFM. The only axial fans I have that get even close to 33mmH2O are >200CFM monsters.

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Whats its noise like?

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's actually not bad, all things considered. I had it on the speed controller and it vibrates a fair bit when I slow it right down, but at max speed of 3100rpm there's a lot of air noise.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Here's the setup I used for the thermal test with the blower fan - super hi-tech stuff, as you can see. Moving a little air at very high pressure is gonna generate more noise than moving a lot of air at low pressure, it seems - this thing is LOUD.

The average delta temp for this setup is 33.5°C. The main problem is that most of the cooler doesn't get the air from the blower (even with the shroud) so the temps could be a lot lower.

Curiously, the behaviour of the blower fan is the opposite of axial fans when the output is blocked - the impeller speeds up rather than slows down. I'll need to get it on the chamber for some pressure testing, which I may do at the weekend as I'll need to make a proper jig to mount it securely to the box.

[​IMG]

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ek vardars are all white.

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Now that is a proper set up. Love the use of the C-clamp.

cobalt6700 and Bloody_Pete like this.
  8. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

C-clamp or G-Clamp? :p

Nice work as usual @LennyRhys. That's a cool little snail! That's more what I'm used too. Looks like its forward curved and .. looks like 1/2 impeller with the back 1/2 and blades out of phase to the front blades.... ookay. There must be some tiny fan physics I'm not getting :lol:

LennyRhys likes this.
  9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

In the UK that is a G-clamp, Canada may be different.

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Canada and USA. I can see why a G. A quick google search of the two terms C-Clamp URL result .com mostly retail sites, G-Clamp returns mostly .co.uk, a few .com.au, and a few miscellaneous TLDs including a .com but included a UK reference elsewhere in the URL.
    I'd have said radial and out of phase, but it not clear from the picture. I tried checking data sheets but I did not see anything @LennyRhys can you confirm which it is?

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Fantastic work. Incredibly informative and useful.

Kinda interested how the F12 perform compared to the P12 as they're about £1 cheaper per fan. Arctic seem to aim the P12 at heatsinks and radiators as it has higher static pressure while the F12 is advertised as a high airflow case fan.

LennyRhys likes this.
  12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thanks javman! I'd imagine that there would be very little difference between these two fans, despite the P12 being branded a "high pressure" fan. All of the fans I tested on the heatsink were within 2C of each other, and in all likelihood it's less than that.

@Dr. Coin and @cobalt6700 here's a better picture of the big blower with the top cover removed. The two halves of the impeller are indeed out of phase. Interestingly, no fancy aerofoil shape to the blades... just very slightly curved and very densely stacked.

[​IMG]

13. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

14. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

@Dr. Coin They aren't always that keen ;)

Interesting design though. I'll have to look up the out of phase blades (out of interest)

@LennyRhys I'm not sure I've come across any centrifs with aerofoil shaped blades. They are interacting with the air in a different manner that that of an axial fan - as in they are designed more to conduct the air in a certain direction (outwards towards the 'snail') rather than accelerate the air over the faces of the blades.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Just to note dude. I haven't forgotten. Had a dig around today at my place and found some more.

I will be back over with the others on Tuesday next. So I will ping you then for an addy to send to.

LennyRhys likes this.
  16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thanks Vault - I haven't done much in the way of fan testing, still waiting on a fan arriving from Singapore (I ordered it at the end of March...). :wallbash:

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh you'll have plenty to keep you busy soon lol.

Hopefully I will get them out by the end of the week. I will PM you for addy when I land tomorrow.

LennyRhys likes this.
  18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Couple of small updates - I've been in touch with PChub[dot]com to request a refund for a fan I purchased at the end of March. 13 weeks since I placed my order, and no delivery... that's ridiculous by any standard, Singapore Post or not.

I also managed to break the styrene tube on Magnahelic gauges so I'll have to repair that before I get them back in action again, but it's a small job and easy enough to do... I've just been busy doing other things. The good news is I have a big holiday coming up so I'll be able to do more tinkering again.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yessss more data!!!!

LennyRhys likes this.
  20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Did you see the Gamers Nexus video where they showed their fan testing setup? That's the sort of thing we're trying to build internally.