1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Project: I.S.A.C - Thermaltake 2020 Case Mod Challenge Winner and MOTM July 2020

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Crapman, 29 Mar 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thanks. It's so tricky trying to get even pressure across the edge, often end up bowed with the corners worn more. Think I have solved the case of the precision holes with an afternoon of measurement and a compass. Next time will start with tiny holes and check centering and hopefully be able adjust if need be.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Bloody finger. Modder level up. :dremel:

Good first effort mate and if you learn something it's time well invested. :thumb:

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. idpcmods

idpcmods Minimodder

Looking good buddy cant wait to see the new cover

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

good work :clap:

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

Welcome back Crapfans!

Has it been 2 weeks already!? Time just has very little meaning or reference any more and it can really get away from you. Let call it a mid season break :winking:

In the last episode, I got close to finishing a piece of motherboard armour before screwing up drilling out a couple of holes, but there were some little tweaks I wanted so not the end of the world. I used the original drawing I'd done on card and cut out a new section to fit around the SATA ports, took a few snips to get it right and then I could transfer the measurements onto a copy from the scan I'd made.
    [​IMG]

So I went to print out a couple of copies of the scanned design but they didn't look quite right. Measuring it against my cut out I could see it was clearly too small. Odd. Tried printing again checking that the print options weren't resizing, now it was too big. What!? No matter what I tried, 4 or 5 different programs, on the JPEG or the PDF versions, countless settings, I could not get it to print the correct size. So frustrating, but I had the cut-out and I could trace round that. It'd likely add a degree of inaccuracy, but what you gonna do?
    [​IMG]

Now I knew I had the holes for this pieces mounting screws correct, so I used them as reference points and took measurement from there to both of the M.2 cover's screw holes. Using a compass I could use those measurements to plot against each other and get the locations. Simples! :idea:
    [​IMG]

I'd got myself some proper mounting glue so the paper sat flusher to the metal.
    [​IMG]

But then stupidly used cutting lubrication to drill a hole for the jigsaw which of course dissolved the glue in that corner :rollingeyes:
    [​IMG]

Didn't take long to have it cut out though and no further mistakes thankfully.
    [​IMG]

I worked my way round the piece filing down the edges, it was going really well at first, nice and straight and flat, but it got harder and harder to get it right and I realised my files were getting clogged. I tried freeing them up with a cat brush (as it has similar thin pins to a file bush) but it didn't work that well and they just got too clogged to carry on.
    [​IMG]

So I went to Screwfix and picked up a set of Magnusson files. I have a set of their pliers and a wire stripper and they're decent so thought they'd do. Plus they came with a file brush. The file brush broke on the second stroke :duh: So I went to take them back but they're not accepting returns at the minute with all the pandemic shenanigans. I ordered myself a nice set of Bacho files and while I waited I thought a little more use of the Magnusson ones won't hurt, I'd almost finished when the file brush broke so I'll get the basic outline done, leave a smidge to finish with my new one's once they arrive. The edge next to the SATA ports would need to slope with their profile.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didn't quite fit and would need some little tweeks in quite a few places. I decided to wait till my new files came, in theory they should be better and allow for finer adjustment than the others and I didn't want to take the mick if I was returning them.
    [​IMG]

While waiting for the new files I didn't rest idle. I stripped all the sleeving off the fans...
    [​IMG]

... did some prototyping with card for parts of the mod coming later...
    [​IMG]

... had some stencils made by the guys at 4D Model Shop, top quality work and quick turnaround....
    [​IMG]

... then I had to do a photoshoot for the album cover of a cat boy band I manage, Mew Kitts on the Block.
    [​IMG]

Then the Files Arrived! :clap:
    [​IMG]

After installing the handles on most of them I thought "Hey, I should do a video on how to mount file handles", so I filmed one, wasn't great, shot another and I mumbled a lot. Shot another one, was a great take, went to watch it back aaaaand I'd hit the selfie camera button so had filmed the wrong direction. :duh: And that was the last file. :wallbash: Still, They were all in with only 1 minor mishap from when the hole wasn't big enough for the tang. Luckily for you that was on film

:hehe::hehe::hehe::lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

I started with the edges that sat against the sloped sides of the M.2 heatsinks and added an angle to them for better fitting, top right and bottom left.
    [​IMG]

I trimmed a bit more off the SATA port edge so it could sit in properly and drilled the 2 mounting holes to check it all fit properly. So far so good.
    [​IMG]

Now, despite having done umpteen measurements to get the hole position the the M.2 screws, I was worried about history repeating itself and started doubting myself. To check I had those measurements right I used the cutout I'd done by card and punched holes through into all the threaded mounts. The I lined up the 2 mounting holes and marked where the holes for the M.2 screws were.
    [​IMG]

Now a bit more confident I drilled the holes out, just 2mm to start with and you know what? If I'd drilled them where I'd originally marked they would have been perfect :hehe::duh:
    [​IMG]

It's not easy to see in the picture but they were just out, but that's why I started with a 2mm hole, I needed to get it to 5.5mm so I had room to adjust and correct, first with this nifty carbide milling bit.
    [​IMG]

Then when it was big enough I switched to using a file, while is a bit more controllable. By twisting the file into it, then rotating back and forth it would gradually increase the hole.
    [​IMG]

I'd file a little out, dust it off and then check it on the board to see how it was going. If I needed to move the hole over in a particular direction I'd file that side with a needle file, before returning to the larger file to round the hole out.
    [​IMG]

Until eventually.....
    [​IMG]

Success! :rock::clap: A real snug fit too which is just perfect. I could leave those screws in and have a quick reference to work on any minor adjustments that were needed. With a little trim of the top edge along the PCIE slot, a few other minor tweaks and a bit of finishing all round it was almost done.
    [​IMG]

Now I just needed to drill the other holes out to allow the mounting screws to sit flush. The mounting points sit about 1.1mm below the bottom edge of the alu, so I'll be attaching a couple of washers to the underside for the screw to fit into and the whole thing would actually rest on them then. Almost done! :happy: Oh and spraying clear plastidip on the underside to prevent shorts. Then put a brushed finish to the top and apply a clear coat. And some other bits. So no, not nearly finished. :rollingeyes: lol

Since it had been a while I thought now was as good a time as any to drop in and give you an update. Hopefully I'll have it ACTUALLY finished next time. So stay tuned crap fans. Same Crap time, same Crap channel.

6. adidan

Nice to see an update mate, been a busy boy. Anything jaggy you can slap a trim on. :thumb:

Yeah, it'll do that.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. kim

kim hardware addict

great set of files :naughty:, 'was squinting on it the other day on "latest purchase thread" :grin:, glad to see the armor done with holes fitted perfectly :thumb:

8. The_Crapman

Oh they're so good too, especially compared to my old draper ones, cut so much better and cleaner. Theu weren't even that expensive really, was £60 for all the files and handles and I got exactly the files I wanted, rather than the set I bought originally which came with rasps that I didn't want or need.

9. adidan

So @The_Crapman is this all to be done and dusted by the 15th Andy?

10. The_Crapman

No, because of delays and ongoing pandemic related shenanigans, it's been pushed back to the end of August. I'd be in real trouble if it had to be finished in a week :hehe: :worried:

11. adidan

Phew, was going to say - you're making good headway but August seems a more comfortable timeframe :happy:

12. The_Crapman

Oh there's looots to do yet. I could have had more done, but there's an order I want to do it in so it will fit/piece together nicely, plus have a nice narrative in the log, keep my cards close to my chest. Plus there's been the odd set back from tool and body malfunctions lol

13. adidan

I guess at least the enforced delay on the planet has allowed for that at least.

I swear everyday something else either doesn't work properly or works differently :happy:

14. The_Crapman

Or just hurts :hehe:

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

That's a given :hehe:

16. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Very nice file work!

Asbestos kills cats too!

adidan likes this.
  17. The_Crapman

Is that asbestos on top of the bricks!? F### I didn't know what it was, I pulled it out of the rubble from the old shed. Thanks for the heads up.

18. kim

kim hardware addict

could be some kind of fiber reinforced concrete...:idea:, not necessarily asbestos

Defyant Mods likes this.
  19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

LOL's I'm a ticketed asbestos supervisor , until you know for sure treat it as if it is :thumb:

The_Crapman and kim like this.
  20. The_Crapman

Morning Crapfans!

Well that's another week that's flown by. We've now been given a date of 24th July to have the mods completed and a video submitted so I best get my skates on. Particularly with this motherboard armour which should have been finished already. What's that old saying? Keep it simple stupid! :hehe:

So with all the holes now in the the right place, I had to enlarge the 2 holes for the mounting screws as the threads for them sit a little over 1mm below the bottom side of the alu plate. I'll be mounting some washers to the underside of the armour for the screws to pull on and then they'll sit flusher to the top surface too.
    [​IMG]

So I enlarged the hole from 2mm to 3mm to 3.5 to 4, all with no problems, was nice and centred still, but needed them a little wider still. I thought about using the round file again like I did for the others, but it wouldn't fit in the hole yet. "That's odd" I thought, "I didn't think the other holes were that much bigger. The file must not have had as much taper as I thought." So I pull out the 5m drill bit and
    [​IMG]

:duh: As I looked for a file or something suitable for cleaning that up I found my smaller round file, the one I'd used for the other holes, that would have fit in these to enlarge them. Joy. :wallbash: I ended up countersinking the hole to clean it up, which meant doing it on the others as well for some continuity. Was pretty darn annoyed at such a stupid mistake, I hadn't wanted to countersink them but it doesn't look too bad. More importantly, I can continue with this piece and not start again. I think I'd rather cover the motherboard with duct tape than start again.
    [​IMG]

With those all sorted, now we needed to tackle the chipset cooling, as the fan will find it difficult to breath through the alu plate. So open sesame!
    [​IMG]

After marking the centre of the hole by lining up the original cover, I drilled a pilot hole then used a step bit to get it that big. but it wasn't big enough. I'd got some carbine milling bits for the Dremel, so used one of those to get close to where I needed to be. I was apprehensive about using it to go all the way as it could get a bit grabby and I didn't want to mess it up at this stage.
    [​IMG]

After filing most of the rest out I checked where I was in relation to the fan, see if I needed to remove some in a particular direction, which it did.
    [​IMG]

I'd drawn the circle on the back which wasn't great, especially as the pencil rubbed off fairly easily. Should have measured the centre point on the motherboard, then drawn a circle on the front with a compass, but at least I'd checked and could fix it from here. I drew a slightly larger circle that was centred to help gauge the edge which helped a lot. I kept checking it against the original and the motherboard to make sure it was going in the right direction and wasn't getting out of shape.
    [​IMG]

In the end I was pretty pleased how it came out and how round it was. I won't claim it's a perfect circle but it's really close. I decided to leave it at that point as I have a tendency to go too far with trying to get something absolutely perfect and end up making it worse.
    [​IMG]

Next up I needed to fashion a fan shroud to direct the air over the heatsink, for which I'd use some aluminium angle. I decided to try and get the shape fairly close to the original so used several small pieces.
    [​IMG]

These pieces were too tall and I needed to get them down to 8.5mm. I had this little compound table and figured I'd try and use it in conjunction with my Dremel stand.
    [​IMG]

It was not as easy as I'd hoped to get this set up. Just mounting it to the Dremel base took an age. I'd have it set right start tightening the bolts and a washer would slip and get stuck so I'd have to pull it off again, get it lined up, get the bolts back on, tighten, slip...... :wallbash: I ended up having to lie on my back under it to get the bolts tightened and stop the washers slipping. Not made easier by my decision to use nylon lock nuts to stop them coming undone from the vibrations it would make. Then I wanted to mount it direct to the workbench, but the bolts I'd bought to ensure they fit flush underneath the Dremel base were too short to fit through the workbench top. I had to search the house for a piece of conti board to mount it on. Then I tried to get the bolts flush with the bottom of that, but I didn't have the right bit to drill out the nut recess and I ended up wrecking the first set of holes. Luckily the bolts would sit either side of the workbench piece so I just let them poke out and then attached it to the bench with some grip clamps.
    [​IMG]

At least it worked! :clap:
    [​IMG]

But it was slow. Really slow. It had at least given me a platform to be able to get at the edge that needed removing, which was nigh on impossible in a vice. So I cracked out the "rough cut" file and used that instead.
    [​IMG]

Now I needed to look at the side that would attach to the armour, make sure it didn't hang over the edge or cover any screw holes. So I transferred the pattern over to the underside where they'd live.
    [​IMG]

I'd also need to check some pieces against the original. As you can see here, the long straight piece would interfere with the fan and would need to be trimmed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a little while to get them all done, filing angles onto the corners to get them to fit properly as well. I had to file a bit, check it's alignment, file a bit more, but eventually I had them all done and stuck down with double sided tape for a test fit.
    [​IMG]

It needed some more work doing to it. The fins of the chipset heatsink hit the angle and they were also still too tall. Must have measured that wrong thing as I needed to take at least 2mm off.
    [​IMG]

Back to the shed I went, filing away like a man possessed. Luckily the "rough cut" file can take material off pretty quick when given some welly. As the clamps on the compound table went to about the height I wanted I could use that to gauge where I was and just give a few final strokes with a second cut file to smooth and make sure they were level. I also changed the setup on the corner that sticks out. After filing the original piece out there was barely anything left to stick it down with, so I made a new piece to point outwards and took some of the other piece to give it some room.
    [​IMG]

And it fit! :rock:
    [​IMG]

The compound table had taken a fair bit of abuse though. It's only a cheap chineseum ebay one with an aluminium bed, so fairly soft material compared to the nuts and bolts of the clamping mechanism.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to stick the pieces together as a single unit before fitting to the motherboard armour, so I got one of the old card templates and glued it to the original armour plate I made, then stuck the pieces to that with double sided tape.
    [​IMG]

Then give it a test fit just to make sure everything was in the right place. Good to go! :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Now it's time for our good old friend JB Weld :grin:
    [​IMG]

The original plan was just to put some on the joins to stick them together, maybe spread a little to reinforce, but things kind of got out of hand :worried: At least I can be damn well sure it'll be stuck together :hehe:
    [​IMG]

I then turned my attention to the armour piece itself. I gave all the edges a good sanding, try and get rid of the filing marks. It was filthy after so I gave it a wash, which took the paper from the template off. The finish underneath was still decent so wont require too much work to put a nice finish on, so I covered it in masking tape to protect it. This top edge had been bothering me a bit. I'd cut it too tall but I didn't know if I wanted it brought down flat or at an angle to match the M.2 heatsink.
    [​IMG]

After asking around a bit, the general consensus was to angle it and I do think that would look better there. I just wasn't sure if it would look out of place being as all the other edges are flat. Didn't take too long to sort it out and it does look so right.
    [​IMG]

I'm waiting on a final piece to finish off the armour, which has just taken way longer than it should have. Probably didn't need to do all this for the chipset cooler, probably could have left it and it would have been fine, or made it simpler, but sometimes I just have to do things right or it will bug me to oblivion. In the mean time I can finally start working on something else, but that's all for now folks. See you next time for "what crappy overcomplicated next" :winking: Same Crap time, same Crap channel.