1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

And the fact I’m a weakling? :lol: Besides, I don’t want to ruin perfectly good paving slabs on his face.

cavaet: I do not condone violence on neighbourhood parcel delivery employees. No matter how much of a dick they may be!

IanW and adidan like this.
  2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Appreciate the words, mate.
    Sadly, global recession means my current, very senior, very well paid job is likely to get the axe early on. My studies need to finish, so that I can start with my articles. That means taking a huge pay cut, but at least getting a salary.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Do you think it's possible that it may be another driver scheduled for the uplift?

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Possibly, I've not seen our usual Hermes driver for 4-5 days. It may be in the current climate they've needed to bring in reinforcements although on occasion I've seen him bring another chap wearing a Hermes tabard I presume to get the deliveries done twice as quick. Will be going to the parcel shop later to drop off, If I reschedule theirs equal chance he won't come for them tomorrow. I've not even had the usual "Hermes couldn't collect your parcel, please rebook"

He's just new and thats fine, I don't expect perfection from someone learning on the job.

Two of the three I have ready to go under my stairs have been marked as collected while the other has an orange question mark next to it. Five others collected on Wednesday have a combination of collected and failed collection... I have no idea where half of my parcels have gone. If they're processing through the system or what... The rogue DX parcel seems to just be circulating aimlessly through the system

I'm sidelining my birthday money in anticipation for a quantity of refunds in the coming weeks.

Is it weird to miss your normal Hermes guy?

5. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Not really, when we lived in the UK we always had the same DPD driver who was fantastic, out here in France the only delivery person who is close to his level of service is the La Post lady. When we left the Uk we gave the DPD man a few bottles of wine on his last delivery to us.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Coffee machine is on the fritz, possibly for good. It was in a socket that was a little sketch, you couldn't use the second socket, my partner tried, blew the trip switch. When she turned it back on the machine just started pumping water out the bypass into the drip tray. It will do that as soon as you plug it in, if you turn it on it continues. Devastated. We have a filter machine but it's awful, makes the coffee taste like crap, might as well be instant.

7. kim

kim hardware addict

:sigh: I comiserate, coffee is a very important part of my life, I like expresso myself, not pod coffee machines, I buy real coffee in beans, anyway, what I meaned to say was; I used to put big amounts of money into coffee machines in the past (500/600 euros), but with years, it became obvious that expensive ones wasn't working longer than cheap ones, mostly due to the low quality of pumps, actually my last one was on the fritz last month, I bought a German one, brand name is Klarstein, got it for less than 90 euros, works really fine :thumb:
    [​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

This is a Cuisinart Espresso machine. It was great as had a button for single, double Nd 'manual' which was set for a perfect americano. They don't make them anymore I don't think, can get one from America but is more than we have to spend. Will have to look onto cheaper options

kim likes this.
  9. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

When I worked on LNG tankers we used DeLonghi Coffee machines and I don't know of any of them failing, which when you consider the abuse they were subjected to on a daily basis is frankly amazing. The only advantage they had going for them was that the water was less than 3ppm NaCl.

The oldest one I know of was 7 years and still going strong when I last went on that particular ship (only reason I remember it is that I was who drilled and bolted it down). My home machine is now 5 years old and has survived multiple moves and since moving to France several power surges and still works perfectly. In short for a cheap reliable machine I'd go straight to a Delonghi.

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. The_Crapman

Thanks. I had been looking at a few deloghi ones. Will see whats in the kitty when my partner's ot comes through later in the month. Have a cheap filter machine to get us by, but the coffee just isn't as good. Still better than instant. lol

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I support the suggestion of getting a Delonghi. Not the cheapest machine you can get, but the cheapest good machine you can get IMHO.

The_Crapman and kim like this.
  12. kim

kim hardware addict

Delonghi is a great brand I agree, I had one before, lasted 6 years fine...BTW :grin: when you see how much money this kind of appliance is able to cost :wallbash: ... that's crazy, and there are more expensive ones I assume :lol:
    [​IMG]

13. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

15. The_Crapman

That's the one! I'll give it a go, but I suspect there's circuit damage from a power surge which has caused the pump to work all the time, even when the machine isn't "on" but plugged in.

Also wish I'd thought of that before taking it apart yesterday :duh::rollingeyes:

16. The_Crapman

So I put it back together, plugged it in and it didn't immediately start pumping water out like it did yesterday, good sign. Turned it on, it boots up and primes itself like normal, ok. Fill her up and try a coffee. Success!!! :clap:

Oh wait no it's just turned itself off. Turns back on, try again, starts working
    [​IMG]

Dead. Deceased. Finito.

God bless you coffee machine. You've given us a good 4 or 5 years and we got you 2nd hand in the first place. May you rest in cafe heaven. :waah:

perplekks45 likes this.
  17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I used to work with a consultant who really liked coffee (guess he still does, tbh). He spent £3500 on a single-cup machine from Italy and 80-160 a month (before tax and shipping) for coffee beans. His grinder was 1.5k if I'm not mistaken.

It was hellishly good coffee and I made sure to have all of my meetings with him (which, luckily, were plenty because he was a key resource in the project I managed) at his office. :naughty:

IanW and kim like this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Somebody has a Naim DAC-V1 (₤1500 new) up for sale on eBay for ₤600 and, I don't have that much going spare at the moment...:waah:

19. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, I believe you really enjoyed your consultant's coffee :grin:, but I understand, when you can afford it, why not, I even find one that costs more than 6000 euros :jawdrop:, though, I do believe that the best coffee taste and flavor you can get, depends mainly from the quality of the coffee itself, many people don't realise that coffee quickly turns rancid when exposed to the surrounding air, IMHO, conservation involves a subzero temperature, like in the fridge, and it can even stand freezer for longer period, but most of all, kept inside a box with a properly sealed cap :lol:
    I love coffee myself, it's kinda ritualistic to me :grin:
    About coffee itself, it's a fact that it can reach high prices too, I drank a special coffee in Asia, people who invited me said the price was insane because the beans were not picked up on the coffee plant, :nono: goats are raised around the place, goats eat the coffee beans :grin: swallowing it straightly without even chewing it, it's like candies for them, then they expulse the beans with their defections, and this is where beans are collected, washed and sold to an outrageous price :hehe:
    The brand I buy myself, is one of the best that can be found in the stores all around the world with still a decent price but not that cheap, is ILLY coffee...on the pic it's pod coffee but they sell in it beans as well or milled
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Jun 2020
  20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My care worker - "Why on earth are you wearing full length trousers today?!"

Me - "It's complicated"

Reality - Cold play.

[​IMG]

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.