1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 PS5 Live Event @ 9pm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by suenstar, 11 Jun 2020.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If the free blu ray player isn't compromised in any way, then I'd be inclined to agree. If it doesn't support all of the bells and whistles of a UHD disc, or is noisy during playback, it may as well not have disc playback at all IMO. I'll opt for playing via Plex anyway most of the time so if I'm going to go through the "hassle" of loading in a disc it will be for the hit of the whole fruit and nothing less. But then that's me... appreciate for most "good enough" is just that.

I've found by the time I've loaded up my PSN account with discounted credit, there's not a whole lot in it a lot of the time - probably comes out in the wash if you were to opt for one or the other 100% of the time. Of course with the disc version of the console you don't have to opt for one or the other and can mix and match with whatever is best value at the time.

New-ish releases seem to be the worst value - i.e. after a few months when they've dropped to £30-35 for physical copies, but are still £60 (and £48 with discounted credit) for the digital version.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I both love and loath digital stuff.. On the switch, being as it's meant to be portable, digital is a real boon. It's more expensive (Which I doubt I will ever understand) than physical, but for laziness nothing tops it.

On the other hand, it's not so easy to revoke a license to something I have in my hand based based on the current lunar cycle and where the headless chicken stopped running.

As for the PS5 console.. I dunno, it looks better that V looking abomination that was doing the rounds a while back, but to me it still looks really goddamn stupid. That said, I am a lifetime member of the "square black boxes" club.

Unless you've gone through the effort to properly stealth your home entertainment, it's out on display in what tends to be a series of squares and rectangles. That thing is going to stick out like a baboons arse. Not a fan.

Maybe the slim version/facelift will be less of an eyesore.

3. Mister_Tad

I'm getting the feeling that most people's home entertainment is trending towards consisting of one box, a TV and a soundbar at most.

If this is the one box, then the looks are entirely subjective, and a black rectangle is more of an eyesore than something like this IMO.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I did buy a console once, a long time ago. PS5 is not going to see me repeating that mistake!

5. Mister_Tad

At the risk of getting into a PCMR debate... why was it a mistake?

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Because the game on disc is never the game you play, they all have to install and download 10s of Gbs of data they are essentially digital now, there is buggerall resale on the disc and there are always ways to get the digital cheaper on PS and Xbox.

Bluray player though woul dbe quite nice if it is UHD, I would buy it for that.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yep pretty much seen an reduction in clutter under my TV over the years, just one box right now excluding console, Ps4 actually live behind the TV as there was space between wall and TV :D being mostly digital I only ever need a disc for bluray which I rarely do anymore.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Obviously it's subjective - I don't even have to look to know that some people will be loving this design.

I'm just not sold on making a box that is meant to go near/under/around a TV so.. Not subtle. Hell, I've been playing with the idea of making my own subwoofer purely so I can make it look more like furniture than a piece of audio equipment.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Hardly ever used it, mostly because I didn't get on with the controller as it was too small, making the sticks awkward to use and, also because it was just before I started playing, PC only, MMORPGs. Btw, it was an Xbox 360.

10. Mister_Tad

Ah, that'll make or break the console experience, for sure.

I initially didn't get on with the PS3 controller at all (and never got on with the triggers... attached actual triggers to the rounded buttons) - much preferred the xbox controller. But then it was that or nothing in terms of gaming because I made a snap decision to ditch PC gaming for good, so learned to live with it.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If that price is accurate... it's $100 more than ithought it would be [and i already thought it'd be $100 more than it probably should be]

Last edited: 13 Jun 2020
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You saved me digging for a picture on its side.

At that price, no, not for me. Maybe a few years down the line but until then that money will go towards a gpu and i'll just use the PS4 for BR and streaming services and game on the pc.

Hopefully Cyberpunk and other titles will tide me over.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Premature listings like that typically have an inflated price so I wouldn't assume it'll actually be $£700.

14. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Watched a few bits of the presentation again this morning... the bit about the controller having a microphone made me a bit curious, I'm wondering if the controller doesn't have vibration or if they have some clever way to cancel out the sounds of the motors and excessive button mashing with the built-in microphone.

Seems like an odd idea to put a microphone directly into a controller.

15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I can only see that being horrible, it'll just be game-chats full of farts!! I never liked the PS4 controllers having a speaker in them. The games that used it always confused me so much as I could hear a faint noise somewhere and wondered what it was - I'm almost always wearing a headset so whatever they were going for was lost on me! That being said, the PS5 controller does look interesting and until I've used one I couldn't say, but the slightly more Xbox-y shape may actually mean it wouldn't destroy my hands as badly as the PS3/PS4 controllers do. I can only use those for short periods of time before I'm in agony.

I'm not a Sony fan by any stretch of the imagination and I was on a stream during the presentation, so I missed it. But having seen stuff online since - unsurprisingly, I'm not really interested. I only got a PS4 (from this forum) eventually because I needed it for work (game testing). I hate it and it rarely gets used. I find the stupid shape of the PS4 annoying enough, the PS5 looks like hell to me. It wouldn't fit anywhere. I also saw something about the stand for it to be on its side is an extra :rollingeyes:

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or they assume most people disable the vibrators to extend the pathetic battery life?

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It's amazing how long the battery lasts when you turn that junk off.

Glad to see the headphone jack is still present.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

If the price is anything above £500 it’s a tough sell, especially to the teenage parent market it’s aiming for mainly.

for me as always I would wait for a discount and the digital only model will likely be a lot more reliable than the disc one if my past experiences with PlayStation is anything to go by. The blue ray drive always burned itself out and is a expensive replacement

£700 would be crazy figures, expecting Xbox to be priced higher in all honesty

spec wise if nvidia have shown us anything these last few years hz can beat cores and the ps5 has a decent hz lead on its gpu cores

would expect them to produce very similar graphic performance, PS5 probably easier to code for depending on how the cores are handled

19. Mister_Tad

I've wondered if the digital edition is how they can make the "From £499" headline stick, and the version most people will want will be £550-600

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its it wrong that I don't care what it looks or performs like, I'm going to buy it anyway but I really want it to be quiet! I can't use PS4 in my front room, far too noisey.

Tags: