1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zen 3 architecture may be delayed until next year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Jun 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'd understand it if AMD decided to do that, but I'd be a sad panda. And nobody wants to be responsible for making a panda sad. Please, AMD?

3. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

Yes it sucks, Intel and AMD never seem to be able to be competitive at the same time and that leads to one always taking the mickey. Also isn't the Ryzen 4000 desktop CPU's going to be based on Zen 3? If not, what the heck happened to Zen 3?

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Ryzen 4xxx will be Zen 3 Desktop CPUs with no IGP, previously on a roadmap for a 2020 release, now supposedly delayed until 2021.

Not to be confused with other Ryzen 4xxx parts (desktop with IGP or mobile parts, for those Ryzen 4xxx means Zen 2).

However, there is also the Ryzen 3x00 XT parts coming (supposedly in about 3 weeks), those will be the same as the current stuff just with higher clocks.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2020
    perplekks45 likes this.
  5. perplekks45

Slightly higher clocks from what has been leaked.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Why release something genuinely new when you can just re-release the same chip with a slight clock bump? Intel have been doing it for years and seeing as their new processors haven't done much to stop the march of Zen, it would be stupid not to.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Slightly higher clocks... I'm sure I read 400-600mhz increases, no?

That could be enough to rip the gaming/single thread crown right out of Intel's fingers and, if so, why wouldn't you sit on an advantage for a while and stretch your future R&D window?

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I find the reporting of this somewhat odd (by Digitimes). Pretty much everything electronic suffered a stall in production of around 2-3 months at the start of the year. It delayed B550, it's clearly delayed Core 10th gen and led to a more or less paper launch. It's not a huge leap to expect the it's delayed the fab lines for Zen 3 enough to push release back from Q3 2020-21 to Q4 to ensure AMD will have chips to sell when the release comes. AMD feeling confident enough to do this is certainly heartening, it's better than Ryzen 1's fire and hope for the best launch. But I doubt that confidence is the sole reason for the stop-gap Zen 2 CPUs.

Either way, if it pushes down the price of a 3900X that makes me happy, but I'll still wait to see how good the 4900X is before buying anything.

9. David

Couldn't that just as easily be the other way around? If they've found a way to squeeze a significant clock bump out of existing/binned dies, that could give them the confidence hold back on a Zen3 launch.

That's no different to Intel's old Tick-Tock system.

Either way, as you said, if it pushes down the prices of the original Zen2 parts... break out the party poppers. However, it does look like they've positioned them to sit above the existing line-up , if the reported prices are accurate.

10. David

Looks like I read it wrong or read a bad article - the clock bumps don't appear to be that high. Unless this is a single core/all core thing.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Assuming you mean the XT parts then the clock bumps are in the region of 100-200Mhz on the single core boost. All core boost is currently unknown but the base clock hasn't changed.

Might clock better or hold a slightly higher all core boost but nothing to write home about.

Key, as always, will be pricing. No point to the 3900XT if its just a 100Mhz clock speed bump but comes in at £50 more than the 3900X. Now if you could get it all core boosting to 2-300mhz higher than the 3900X.... that may be worth a look!

12. perplekks45

Well, this has been confirmed. And the boost bumps are.... as expected.

[​IMG]

13. perplekks45

It seems AMD has dispelled the rumour and Zen 3 will be released in 2020.

Tags: Add Tags