1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ryzen build for 1080p -1440p

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iknowgungfu, 20 Jun 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not overly :p And I haven't actually check if Lian Li is traded :p I'm a big fan of it, its a fantastic case, to the extent I've seen 3 or 4 companies do bad copies of it! Theres a version with a mesh front for 'proper' airflow, bit in my opinion grab some Artic F12 or P12 fans and do a bottom to top airflow and it'll perform well :) FYI, it doesn't come with fans...

2. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Thanks. Will bear it in mind - presume noise isn't too much of an issue as long as some biggish fans are used?

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Those artic one I suggested are quiet. From mine its just the rush of air as the only noise.

iknowgungfu likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The reason he loves the case is because it's badass. For once someone actually thought to ask a guy who knows a thing or ten about cooling to design a case. It's no surprise it's highly revered.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  5. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Cheers all. The last time I built a PC you didnt really need to consider air intake/cooling so much - it obviously seems to be important these days (or significantly more important).

I've seen some reviews and I do like it - I'm just wondering if it will look a little naked if I had a set of fans at the bottom and top. What about the vertical space towards the front bordering the back section for cabling?

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sadly for the last three or four years case makers have not been considering air intake either. They smothered their cases in glass, and we basically stepped back 8 years to before good air cases came about.

It really is daft. That is probably why they hired Der8auer to come up with something that has glass but actually cools your components.

adidan, wyx087 and Bloody_Pete like this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well thats where you put your watercooling ;P TBH I don't really, you could use a 360mm dust filter to cover it :)

8. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Bloody hell - I am turning the last few bits over and over now. Can't make my mind up on motherboard choice. B550 or X570 - the more I read on B550 the less I think it is worth it when X570 can be of a comparable price. There is just too much choice out there though. I don't suppose there is a go to X570 that people tend to recommend from a bang for buck standpoint? I'm thinking of getting the Meshify S2 case now and that has a USB-type C on the front (noticed that not all motherboards come with a front panel USB-C header).

Thanks in advance because advice on here really helps cut through the chaff of online review sites.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

For a budget option of a glass sided case that cools well i'd throw in the Coolermaster NR400 (they do a ODD version and one for larger boards).

Yeah it's not as fancy but it does a damned good job

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/cooler-master-masterbox-nr400-review/3/

I slapped Noctuas in mine and I don't find it noisy but then I have it shelved below the desk. And i wear headphones :)

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That looks nice! 5.25" drive bays a blast from the past! I'm surprised to see it on a modern case!

11. adidan

:) Yeah, i'm surprised it's an option - that's the NR400 with ODD, I got the NR400
    [​IMG]

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I do think its weird to have the IO on the top of a case so small though, as its too small to go on the floor, so it'll be on your desk where front IO is faaaar more useful!

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

Mine is actually on a lower shelf behind my desk, I kinda bought it for the position it was going but I see what you mean.

14. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

OK. I am almost at the point where I want to make a purchase. Would appreciate the thoughts:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QJc8tp

Decided on Meshify C. Tinted or non-tinted? Should I be concerned it does not have USB-C at the front? So far I have nothing that I would use it for.

CPU Cooler choice? Is it odd to use this sort of CPU cooler in a mesh case? They came recommended from a friend and I quite like the tidier look it gives. Presume I would mount this at the top of the case.

Anything obvious? RAM is DDR4 - 3600.

Should add anything else? I need Wi-Fi but can move an existing card over. I am also moving a 2tb 3.5 hdd over too.

Thanks again all.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Looks good. Personally I don't like going for multiple drives, but you're looking at about £300 for 2TB one. I'm running a 1TB and I've not had any problems with space, so maybe just a single 1TB drive would do you? Otherwise all looks good :)

16. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Cheers. The 2TB HDD I already have is being moved from my current PC - it has a lot of my photos on too.

Cheers

17. adidan

Oh I do, but, I only ever install windows with one drive attached and add the others later.

It's caused issues in the past for me if i've not.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yea, my colleague did it reinstalling his work laptop, left an external drive plugged in... He says its a security feature now :p

adidan likes this.
  19. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Thanks for all the advice over the last few weeks. Finally ordered the components for the weekend. Very excited.

I'm sure I will have questions as it has been a while since I've tinkered with PC building.

Just realised I could do with getting W10 sorted too as I intend to have a complete fresh build.

20. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Parts ordered for delivery this weekend unfortunately the PSU is out of stock despite stock and order being confirmed at the time of order :oldconfused:.

Looks like I won't get to build this PC yet. Shame as I have a day off on Monday to myself. Frustrating to have everything apart from one thing. No idea what happened at the vendors side of things - had I known about their error earlier I might have been able to source a suitable alternative. Boo.

Bloody_Pete likes this.