1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

So last year my partners grandad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and given 3 months to live

Against the odds he's made it 12 months on and is still going but it appears his days are now numbered with nurses staying with him throughout the night until he passes.

I've not seen him in a while (even pre-covid) so only remember the occasional meal out, I've seen pictures of him from 6 months ago looking frail and very unwell but in good spirits given the circumstances.

Saw a picture of him from this weak and wow... just wow... cancer has ravaged him to the point he is barely the man he once was. I'm not emotionally attached to him in anyway because I never had much of a relationship (I could probably count our conversations on two hands). But I can only imagine the pain and suffering of his close family and friends watching a loved one go through this suffering...

I've said it once and I'll say it again.... **** CANCER

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It's a shitter isn't it mate.

Sorry to hear, cancer can just do one. I can't remember a time when a family member, partner's family, friends, friends family haven't either been living, recovering or unfortunately dying from it.

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

30 bloody degrees in the study :sigh: every year I say we'll get a couple of portable air cons, every year we fail

IanW, MadGinga and adidan like this.
  5. adidan

Ditto in the loft study. In winter i need to wear layers, today I need to remove my skin.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Where extreme, by our standards, weather is concerned, I always think we are fortunate to live where we do in the west of Somerset. We are never the hottest, never the coldest, never the wettest and never the driest, always a bit more moderate. Our room thermostat is currently on 27℃ and, with a draft blowing through, it's just about tolerable.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

England needs to get behind the concept of shutters on the outside of the window like Germany.

It makes the inside temperature just that much more bearable IMO.

perplekks45 likes this.
  8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Opening the windows, all of them, early in the morning, closing them before 8am, shutters down. Best way to keep the inside cold.

IanW and liratheal like this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I agree on the forums or websites aspect, but it also means that institutions need to make sure they are holding and retaining accurate information. In some areas, such as child protection and adoption this was not previously the case.

In my personal example, my wife and I adopted from out of county (but still within Englad) and after a number of years we needed to access records on our son, as he and professionals he is now involved with were asking us questions and we were struggling to answer. trying to get this via normal channels took forever and in the end we made a SAR (subject access request) to the county that put him up for adoption and after some fighting we got to see (receiving both physical and digital) copies of all record that they held on our son. We learnt several really important things we had not been told during the adoption, and in total received 1000's of pages of reports, documents and case files. While some was redacted we were now able to help him piece together a lot of his early life.

While there is always petty people just using it for self gain, for me and my family, this is a big win.

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My mums a foster career so I'm in involved in adoptions a lot (one next Friday in fact :( ). From what i understand this has been greatly improved in recent years as has the protection of the child. With the explosion of social media they've had to make a lot of changes about how data is passed on to different parties.

IanW, adidan and Goatee like this.
  11. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

He passed away this afternoon...

Clearly the family are devastated. he really wasn’t that old (75). Two years ago a perfectly able bodied man, lots of charity work, extremely social and extremely successful in his prime. You’d honestly think he’d go on well into his 90s and beyond the way he was...

12 months is all it takes to snatch everything from your being piece by piece... such a cruel disease

13. Vault-Tec

Sorry to hear that man. Godspeed.

14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I can only imagine how tough that must be to say goodbye for foster careers and the families caring for these children. I guess at least for the placed child, it’s the next stage of coming to terms with their childhood trauma.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm 23 and we've had close to 30 kids. Some with us 2+ years and others a few months. You slowly get used to it as bad as that sounds. It's horrible pay but it's super rewarding knowing we've gave these kids a second chance and parents who wouldn't have been able to have kids the opportunity. We've had the current one for 7 months and she goes 3rd July.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Wake up around 3am in a puddle of my own sweat; sleep for another hour or so before I wake up sweaty again, and repeat until the alarm goes off. The other half isn't even bothering with coming to bed; it's much cooler downstairs, so she's just sleeping on the sofa... It's supposed to be cooling down tomorrow, but if it doesn't I'll be getting the air bed out and sleeping on the floor in the lounge...

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I broke a bit of tooth off mid lockdown when no dentists were open. Wasn't too bad, only a wee bit. That has now grown into a sizable hole, and it's tingling rather violently. If I wasn't on so many drugs already I'm pretty sure I'd be in agony now. Can i get anyone to answer the phone at the dentist? Noooo. Just a message saying they're only taking emergency appointments, no info on how.

18. adidan

Dude, one thing after another eh?

Hm, dentists. If you can't get a hold of your dentist it may be worth trying other local dentists or giving 111 a call.

IIRC the NHS offer emergency dentistry during lockdown.

That may just involve a piece of string and a slammed door though. :worried:

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I call all your sweat posts. I mean. I'm curious this things is cheap..(you need to be within 2 feet of it) which is fine for me. I've checked online and most people feel like it works. For relevance it is 30C in the room im in now. £30 to drop it 8 degrees..I'm suspicious. But if its within 2 feet I can see it working. I am so close on pulling the trigger. (portable USB AC unit)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable...585480?hash=item217186e088:g:r-oAAOSwu51e8alS

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Grab one of these from Superdrug/Home Bargains/Amazon Crapman, it should fill the hole until you can find a dentist. I've currently got some on one of my teeth right at the very back. It's lasted longer than the "permanent" filling the dentist put in.

The_Crapman likes this.