1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Cummings plan going as hoped. You can rely on the Brits.

Edit: Oh and the Government voted down a motion to have NHS staff routinely tested for Covid-19, an amendment they did make was to praise themselves for everything they've done.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2020
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They'll do whatever it takes...

As long as 'it' doesn't involve spending money... or effort....

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Someone on the news was saying that the tests now are effectively pointless in the here and now as neither a positive or negative result will change anything because
    a)they don't know if immunity is a thing
    b)if it is how long it lasts
    c)if you've had it can you still pass it on

That said, they did say that having lots of tests of NHS staff will be good for research come the second wave as they will be able to see how those that have tested positive are affected if at all. So it's more of a long game thing.
    So as you've guessed, there is no point beyond research. And I suppose to be seen to be doing something. Oh and there's the problem of those people who think that a positive test is a carte blanche as they think they're immune so no worries - I know at least one member of my family who did this.

adidan likes this.
  5. RedFlames

6. adidan

Aye, positive or negative really is moot beyond research for, as you say, the second wave.

I mean without knowing if it gives you any immunity and if so for how long it surely has to be for research only. It would explain their ideology if on the other hand they won't spend money testing to see if NHS staff currently have it.

But yeah, NHS partner has been tested for antibodies but not once had a Covid test.

7. RedFlames

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

9. RedFlames

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Even without NY & NJ removed things are not looking great:
    [​IMG]

11. adidan

BoJo says the hibernation is over and people should travel to places.

People leave hibernation and travel to places, BoJo blames them for crowding.

July 4th chosen as the day to open pubs. A Saturday.... BoJo is trolling us.

12. RedFlames

Make the guidance wooly and vague, blame the public for not following the govt 'very clear' guidance when/if cases spike again.

Been the MO pretty much from the start.

...that and/or pretend it isn't happening.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2020
  13. adidan

True enough. They know the second wave is coming, one of the SAGE scientists said he feared that's what the stats are saying.

But yeah, BoJo MO, prep it to blame somebody else, namely us.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ugh. I was discussing this with a friend and my brother. The idea of trying to sunbathe on an overcrowded UK beach is pretty much my idea of Hell. Far better to do something useful, like a shoreside walk.

Seriously, no idea why any sane person would think it's fun to do. If you feel your skin cancer isn't up to snuff, just go lie around in your garden or a park.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Hmm do I want to be stabbed or get coronavirus...?

How about both!

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Remember, bad things come in threes. How about some tetanus too?

[​IMG]

That pic was posted last night as they were clearing up. Volunteers, like. TBH? if some asshole did that to my beach I would leave it, and when they come next they could sit in their own **** for all I care.

I will admit right now, I am truly ashamed at how my age group have raised their children. What makes it even worse? the bins were all empty. Like, nothing in them at all.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

None of the above...please.

I live 10 mins from the eastern end of Bournemouth beach, it's horrific here at the moment. Busier than I have EVER seen, more so than bank holidays or the Air Festival weekend...

Other than a 4.30am drone flight to film the mid year sunrise*, I have stayed away from the beach. I've not set foot in our beach hut this year, and want to keep well away from the visiting hordes.

Even kayaking on the river and harbour nearby is not as relaxing as it has been, as everyone and his family have bought kayaks or paddle boards this year! The nearest big Tesco a couple of miles away has reputedly sold £30K of paddle boards in the last 2 weeks.

Our road was solid with cars this week, that never happens even in high season.

I've had to tell the kids to really have their wits about them, keep away from most people and come home if it looks iffy.

My son has been elsewhere this last couple of days as he couldn't face the beach either.

Still very concerned about not infecting V V V frail 87 year old M in Law who we take shopping to and help out at arms length

* Saw a load of tents on the beach and families with tiny kids out walking at that hour.

It rained last night and is windy now; luckily no so appealing to be here.

I saw Brighton was similar, not sure if any other beach resorts were overrun.

our hotels and B&Bs aren't open yet...I'll let you know in a week how it's going.

/rant

**EDIT** @Vault-Tec
    Some of my son's friends have been handing out bin bags when they are out, and making sure they take all their own stuff.

BCP say the bin men took 8 tonnes of rubbish away on Wed am and 33 tonnes at the end of the day.

It really has been putting a huge strain on the system all round. Drunken brawls on the beach, those stabbings, and hospital admissions from drink, injuries and sun burn/ heat stroke.

People parking any F* where they want, double yellow lines, on the pavement. Sadly the fine is still a cheap day out. Apparently the Christchurch team issued a record 300 tickets yesterday!

Last edited: 26 Jun 2020
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That boils my blood. How ****ing hard is it to take your crap with you and dump it in a bin?

Arboreal likes this.
  20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

At least put it next to the bin if it's (v likely to be...) full.

Or take it with you and dump it later in one away from the beach that's empty or even at home????