1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Mad quad 2080ti system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 26 Jun 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Tat thing has some beautiful engineering, but as Linus says, I'm really interested if a single (I would assume) 480 rad is enough to cool it all!

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A 3x140 rad is slightly more fin area than a 4x120. A 120 for each GPU is more than sufficient for a rack case with shared airflow.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But plus a thread ripper CPU and the VRM heat? Plus its a thin rad.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Volume wise it's fairly big, could house a more traditional setup easily. A lot of empty space in there.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's also a shared rad. You'd need to be maxing out all 4 GPUs and the CPU all at the same time before you'd need to start worrying about thermal limiting.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

In the kind of workloads that thing is designed for its far more likely though, as rendering and AI training will utilise as much as you can give it. And if you're not using it for those loads that system isn't for you.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm sure it'll be fine, I used to run with 4 290s 24/7 on a weaker WC setup, it ran warm, heated up the house :D but still better than on air. I shifted down to three in the end as I was at the limits on my PSU, even with 3 it would pull ~1.2Kw from the wall :D

Can't remember CPU i ran then.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Remember, rack mount. This isn't a cooling system specced for 'let's overbuild it and then install fans that sedately rotate so as not to cause the barest mouse-whisper', it's going to be running high-RPM screamers next to a bank of other high-RPM screamers in a room with forced cooled airflow. This is not the Idyllic Realm of Noctua, this is the Harsh Dominion of EBM-Papst.

Mister_Tad and David like this.