1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trumpet Blowing 2020

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by meandmymouth, 8 Jan 2020.

1. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Nice ... saves scrolling through the pages on the EOC stats site :thumb:
    Looks like you are also about to go passed an old time Folder 'saspro' - he was 'Folder of the Month' in CustomPC magazine in Dec 2008, and they ran a profile on him in Feb 2009 ...

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Do you have a list somewhere or are you just doing this from memory... I can't tell you what I had for breakfast today let alone something from 11/12 years ago.

3. DocJonz

Haha - from a list I compiled. I knew he was in the mag, but couldn't remember exactly when.

4. 1Car1_Garforth

1Car1_Garforth What's a Dremel?

Using the "Active only" button on the stats, there are only 2 pages.

Yes, I remember Saspro well. I started folding in 2008 and he was very active in the Forum for years. It will be a sad day when I overtake him.

I have just overtaken pompeyrodney, he is not well known, but started at the same time as me and we chatted a bit in the old days.

If I ever overtake Lizard, zz9pzza and Unicorn, they will cause a small twinge as well. Unicorn because several problems he had with his set up meant it took him years to overtake me.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi folders...I am one of the last newcomers in the team, my membership is from April 2020, with 2 folding rigs, and in only 3 months, I reached the 4th page of the team's members, and I am now ranked 377, up to 7million points ; certainly because so many folders are just idle...
    I 've been folding up to 100k points per day for several weeks, until recently, when summer heat started to really overheating the computer room, 10 days ago, it was so hot inside, I experienced GPU artefacts and restarts and one of the rigs even shutdown itself totally one night, and it has been hard to start it again...so I had to pause folding during the day for a few days, but I managed to decrease ambiant temps with a huge fan, and temps went back to normal...yet, I observed a significant lessening of my dayly assigned WUs, I'm now in the 15k average production since...do you think it is the consequence of my interruptions ?

Last edited: 7 Jul 2020
  6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I've noticed WUs being a little sketchy again the last couple of days, few sizeable gaps where I'm getting none. Where are you seeing 15k average, extreme shows you as 45k PPD, that will have dipped heavily with what happened over the last week to you:

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=1070181

kim likes this.
  7. kim

kim hardware addict

well :grin:, after a second look, I realised I was wrong...I also check my stats on Extreme, I just didn't pay a glance to my PPD rate, I only refered to my color (purple), and obviously, 45k PPD is below the 50k, so I am still purple :duh:...my mistake
    [​IMG]
    Still, I was up to 50K PPD before my mishaps :rollingeyes:, even up to 100K some days...the gap is significant :eyebrow:

Last edited: 7 Jul 2020
  8. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

250k points, 1/4 a billion.... seeing a few new WUs appearing which my two 2070S seem to love, have been hitting 2.2m ppd each when they get them and even my 2060 hitting as much as 1.8m. But there are also a few units that they dip to 1m ppd, pretty big swings with some units.

9. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Shirty, congrats on the 4bn. How's the electric meter? Whirling around quickly?!!

Shirty likes this.
  10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Thanks! I'm as surprised as anyone tbh. We're on about 1850-1900 watts at the wall at the minute, there is a 2060 folding as well that isn't in the HFM stats too which adds a little extra.

Not been too lucky with points in the past few days as the Covid Moonshot WUs are a bit sketchy in terms of speed, but it's all for the greater good so I'm happy enough. Seems to have picked up again today.

Arboreal likes this.
  11. Shirty

I've picked up the pace again by recommissioning a 2080Ti, I reckon my output will stabilise around 18.5 - 19.5 million PPD now (assuming they don't produce too many variable work units as has been the case).

Even at that rate, if Doc completely stopped folding it would still take me a year to overtake him, and there's no sign of that any time soon :hehe:

I'm happy just aiming for the number two spot though, all of the old-timers at the top of the leaderboard are there on merit after years of commitment and have produced epic amounts of science :rock:

DocJonz and Arboreal like this.
  12. DocJonz

Nice - I thought your PPD had gone up :thumb:

I don't have any plans to stop at present; currently waiting on the release of the RTX 30xx series cards to replace my GTX 10xx cards :grin:

13. Shirty

I'm in two minds about selling of most of my current cards before the new lines release and the price slumps, out holding on to see whether the upgrade is worth the outlay.

Efficiency becomes almost as important as output once you're dealing with multiple rigs, so I'd potentially take a PPD drop off it meant a huge power saving, but I don't expect that to be the case.

14. Shirty

Probably not the place for it, but in lieu of a thread called "Trumpet Sucking 2020":

I lost about 2 million points for the day in the early hours of this morning. Bloody firewall decided that whilst it would still allow internet connectivity, it didn't want to speak to the various FAH servers any more. Quick reboot fixed it, but it's just typical that it would happen when I'm asleep, never when awake.

Rant over, still churning out good points :thumb:

15. DocJonz

Better than my complete outage (and that of others) due to changes at the F@H end last Friday night which backlisted multiple versions of OpenCL ... Waiting for work on 192.0.2.1? :rollingeyes:

16. DocJonz

@Shirty - congrats on breaking the 20M PPD barrier yesterday :thumb:

I noticed you had 10 GPUs running ... I bet the house is getting a bit toastie if its anything like mine :hehe:

Arboreal likes this.
  17. Shirty

So I did, thanks!

The Aircon unit is managing to keep the room at around 24-25°C ambient with all this lot running, adds a fair old whack to the bills but is essential to prevent spontaneous combustion!

I have had the other two GPUs running for a little while now, but they were in my gaming rig and I never got round to adding them to HFM. I've now built a new rig to house them and get the heat and noise squared away with the other folding gear, so I can finally sit at my desk in silence* again. It's refreshing.

*As much as can be expected with a 6 and 9 year old in the same building.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Very nice Shirty.

Anyone notice a weird blip yesterday, I showed 161 units in a 3 hour period yesterday, gave me 2.8m points in one go, usually only get 800k. See a few others had the same, think the servers crapped out for a bit.

Also annoyingly, my main folding server shut off and I didn't realise... Only lost 12 hours or so but still annoying.

19. Shirty

Slipped into 3rd at some point overnight!

:clap:

20. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Just about to claw past phoenicis :naughty: