1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I don't think that's a reason to feel bad. Many if not most of the "big painters"and today's artists make heavy use of guiding lines and sketches in their art.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

A used Sapphire PULSE RX 570 ITX at a reasonable price.
    I was looking at GTX 1050TIs and possibly GTX 1650s, but this seems to be better value and has more horsepower.
    The GTX 1060 was probably the best choice overall, but none were in budget - gotta keep feeding the GTX 1070 fund!

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

New (to us) washer. It seems to work fully. Still, even if it needs some work it's better than washer with bad computer.

adidan likes this.
  4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I needed something that is robust and built to last. Something that is as close to a commercial product, rather than a gimick, but also something that did not take up a massive footprint.
    Something that I wouldn't be able to max out too quickly.
    With over 180KGs of weight on the smith, I think the only time I will be hitting the max weight, is during deadlifts.

[​IMG]

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Literally just small bits to finish this bike I am doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This morning I discovered that Scan had a rare* item in stock (for list price! :jawdrop:), so gave my new car a decent shakedown run up to Bolton.

[​IMG]

What you see above is Elgato's "Camlink 4k" - a video capture device for connecting a decent quality camera to a PC for streaming or Skype/Zoom/Teams video conferencing.

*These have been like rocking horse poop since the plague began.

Arboreal and goldstar0011 like this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Power Mac G4 - 733MHz CPU, 1.25GB RAM, and two HDDs (which I'll probably replace with IDE-to-CF/SD adapters).

[​IMG]

I was looking for complete desktop systems with an internal floppy drive when I saw this. Couldn't help myself. It's a Mac from the days when Macs were truly different to PCs, instead of being just another Intel machine with some proprietary firmware/hardware. They made some great design decisions back in those days, and the easy hardware accessibility of the Power Mac/Mac Pro machines is a great example.

Plus it's compatible with MorphOS (so long as it doesn't have an Nvidia graphics card), so I can play around with what is supposedly a 'modern' Amiga operating system :thumb:. Whether or not MorphOS will be worth 80 Euros to me however is highly unlikely :grin:

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Garage work commences next week...

Doors an window have been delivered.

Delivery scheduled for three weeks for various electrical bits, sheets of ply to pin to the joists to form a basic non load bearing ceiling. Wood to frame out a partition and a few rolls of magical foil insulation for the ceiling some thermal paint to slow the heat loss, may panel the walls in the future and properly insulate them, but for now it will do. Plus I'll be anchoring stuff to the wall so its easier without insulation I can box in an work round in the future.

Need an internal door so keeping an eye on facebook people are giving them away a lot.

Goatee likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Wow. If that thing is as mint as it looks my Dremel hand is shaking.....

ITX build with some big chops and Hackintosh. Otherwise if you get bored LMK, I will have it off you :D

Byron C likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If it looks half as good as it does in the listing photos - and it survives the courier trip unscathed - then I'll be impressed indeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be honest, I hadn't even thought about the modding potential. The irony of turning this into a modern Hackintosh build does amuse me, however :grin:.

I'm going to keep it as a PowerPC Mac for now. I never used Macs from this era - I wouldn't have been caught dead with one back in 2001 - so it'll be interesting to see what 'the competition' could offer. Would be nice if I could get some CPU upgrades for it though (the RAM is nearly maxed out); there were dual 1GHz CPU options for this machine back in the day.

Arboreal likes this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A Sony A6000 camera to plug into my Camlink, as it turns out the old Canon SX720HS I have doesn't output a "clean" (no OSD) HDMI signal.

[​IMG]

And a "dummy" battery so I can run it for as long as needed.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

8bitdo receiver for Sega Mega Drive - supports pretty much all 8bitdo controllers.

[​IMG]

Meaning I can use that lovely Bluetooth 8bitdo M30 Mega Drive controller (background) with an actual Mega Drive. And possibly any other system that supports the 'Atari'-style joystick pinout - will test with... well... an Atari ST :grin:.

13. Arboreal

@Byron C I had to look up what version that G4 Mac was. We used G4 Macs at work back then, and I remember them having codenames.

That's a G4 Quicksilver, the 2nd of the 3 variants. Looks fantastic, and the design was amazing, for carting it round and also getting into it to add some RAM or storage.

I know the aluminium G5 that replaced it has been a popular case to mod for PC use, but have seen some G4 mods over the years.

Have fun with old Mac OS, I used it for years when that different architecture was genuinely better and faster at image manipulation than X86 PCs.

Byron C likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Indeed, I've been doing a bit of research since I snapped it up. I'm quite glad it's not the 'mirror drive door' version (MDD) because that mirrored panel looks a little garish IMO!

I can't get over how much Apple have changed their approach to upgrading their computers. This old G4 Power Mac? Everything is replaceable: CPU is on a card, RAM is standard, HDDs are standard IDE, graphics are AGP, expansion is PCI-X, WiFi (OK... 'AirPort'...) is a slot-in module (albeit proprietary), and the entire case opens up with one latch.

To be fair the newest Mac Pro is pretty easy to get into and tinker around with, but let's not forget that the 'dustbin' model was considered a 'Pro' machine. They have definitely got more expensive though. The current Mac Pro starts around £5500 and tops out at an insane £54,000, and the asking price for a G4 Quicksilver was apparently between $2400 and $5000 (adjusted for inflation).

These days the only USP Macs (and Macbooks) have IMO is their software. For an enthusiast who knows where costs can be saved and isn't afraid of building their own, the cost barrier to their computers is just too high for the small amount of Apple-exclusive software. Maybe it will be different when they go all ARM - maybe Apple computers will go back to being a genuinely different offering to x86/x64 PCs. But I can't help thinking that the only place that road leads to is completely locked-down hardware and software.

Sorry, didn't mean to start an Apple rant there :grin:.

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Just got a Logitech K400 Plus bluetooth keyboard with trackpad, to use with the TV. It's great device for 30 quid. Only setup needed was to plug in the little usb transmitter on the TV, then it just worked.

Why can't everything, just work?

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There was a discussion on that front when it launched: the Mac Pro pricing at the top end is actually cheaper than speccing the same thing from Dell or HP.

17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Even "just works" when plugged into a Xbox 360...

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Radiomactive, 2004. My first ever mod.

[​IMG]

Don't worry it was a trashed G3. By trashed I mean the whole thing was covered in battle scars, and it was matte clear plastic so you can't fix that. You would have to polish it all clear, and then you would see the steel inside.

[​IMG]

Intel Celeron D. Asrock board, IIRC (it's been 15 years). I actually bought a red spinning light (like one from a police car) that I wanted to come on when the temps got too high but Arduino didn't exist then lol.

[​IMG]

It featured in a PC mag BITD. I was the second person ever to do it. The first was called The Rotten Apple and started life as a G4.

perplekks45, liratheal and Arboreal like this.
  19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Although since that discussion I did read that the memory spec was bargain basement if the chips were to be believed - Although I mostly just went "huh" and moved on, rather than checking what the equivalent options were via Dell or HP.

20. Arboreal

I think we had Graphite and Quicksilver G4s, I don't remember the much vaunted (and OTT) 'MDD' version around the place back then.

Rant on, you're amongst friends

Holy Z that's bright! Was it originally the transparent blue & white G3? Good reuse of a classic design.

Byron C likes this.