1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ryzen build for 1080p -1440p

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iknowgungfu, 20 Jun 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Always the way! It depends on how they to their stock registering. Can you use your current PSU then swap it out when the new one comes?

2. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Potentially but not sure I can be arsed with that though....will see what happens.

3. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

CCL managed to sort out my PSU problems by Sunday thankfully. I've just built it but realised I have made a rookie mistake. My CPU cooler doesn't bloody fit! The radiator can't squeeze in-between the mobo heatsinks and the mount at the top.

Then at the front I don't think there is enough clearance for the GPU. Daft.

Anyone recommend a good fan cooler that performs well and is quiet? Unless I'm being stupid I think this will be my only option.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What case do you have?

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

What CPU cooler is it? They are all very compatible thesedays. Try mounting in a different orientation?

I have Noctua D14, a massive dual tower, I've never had any problem over last 3 builds across almost 10 years with this cooler. I've had 2 free new mounting kits from them so far.

Consequently, I could highly recommend Noctua coolers, any one of those will work great. D15 is currently the best air cooler.

6. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

It's a meshify C. I've just had another look after a sleep and I think it is the RAM that is the problem it's profile is too high. Didn't see that as a problem in any of the reviews I read :(

I don't mind too much as it might have looked a little cramped in there but I do want a different cooler.

Cable routing wasn't as easy as I had expected either. I don't like my PCI-E cables but can't see how to improve it. The same with the SATA cables at the bottom- it offends me that these look so disorganised. And to a lesser extent the bright colour on the HD Audio cable at the bottom is a distraction too.

7. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

The cooler is an arctic liquid freezer II 240 and it's the radiator/fan which can't fit to the top with my RAM and my GPU is quite long to front mount the radiator. I've posted some pics in the harsh light of day of my cable woes....I never thought I would be this bothered by scrappy cabling.

[​IMG]

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You could use something like this to rotate the cards and cover all of those cables. The power cables can then be mostly hidden behind it.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Oh, I see, sorry. I didn't realise it's a AIO water cooler.

If you are dead set on using it, would it install in the front without a fan at the GPU part? Eg. single fan at the top, no fan near the bottom where GPU is.

Otherwise, single fan AIO cooler?
    Or just a huge lump of metal air cooler.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just looked at the Meshify C product page, this is whats getting you 'Top radiator: 120/240 mm (max component height on motherboard 40 mm)'

11. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Yeah. Will have to try and return the cooler. Glad I hadn't actually used it.

With the cabling am I correct in thinking you can by replacement cables (The PSU is semi-modular).

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

I recently build in a Meshify C and put my 280mm in the front, but my 280x isn't massive. I would have preferred top mounting.
    Maybe slim fans would fit out you could mount the radiator externally for the old school look.

I found that radiator compatibility was the biggest obstacle for case selection, especially as I have a 280mm and wanted something compact.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Damn, I can't suggest a PC-011 D of any flavour this time! :p

silk186 and iknowgungfu like this.
  14. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Cheers all. I'm giving up on the radiator option (will see what level of return I can get from AWD as it is unboxed but unused).

Really hacked off with myself.

Would appreciate any recommendations for a CPU air cooler? My last one was a Bequiet! Cooler from years ago. Ideally wanting something that is as quiet as possible of course and not too garish (don't mind a bit of LED but not essential).

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Noctua D15 should fit with 1cm free. That'd be my choice, as it can out perform AIO's.

wyx087 likes this.
  16. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

OK. I haven't got around to sorting what to install here but the CPU cooler is fairly noisy. I am left with two option:

1. Keep existing Patriot RAM (3600 CA16 or 17 i think) and buy a decent air cooler e.g. Noctua or Dark Rock Pro 4.
    2. Replace the RAM with something a bit more low profile and then install the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2.

Both options require me to ditch something and sell on either CPU AIO cooler or DDR4 RAM.

Questions is - which is likely to be the quietest? It probably costs me more to replace the RAM but only by about £20.