1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2x MO-RA3 420 vs 5x HWL Nemesis GTX560

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by TheArchitect, 3 Jul 2020.

1. TheArchitect

TheArchitect What's a Dremel?

Heyho,

I am planning a external waterbox for different uses. In the planned case I have space for either tow MO-RA3 420 with 8x Noctua 200mm fans or for five 560mm rads with 20x 140mm fans (either NoiseBlocker or Noctua). I am aming to run the fans with as low rpm as possible while keeping performance up. I want to run dual d5 pumps with a flowrate >40l/h
    The setup will cool a workstation/gaming rig for rendering and simulations with threadripper cpu and two 1080Tis (upgraded to either quadros or gtx3090/3080ti's).
    Just in terms of performace to noise - which config will be better overall and especially while running as silent as possible?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats massively OTT for that kind of heat load. A 480/560 rad with decent fans will be more than enough. Anything more is just wasting pennies.

3. TheArchitect

Well, thanks, I know that. Maybe I should have said that in the original post. I know this kind of setup is beyond overkill, but it's kind of a modding project for me and the goal is to go far beyond overkill to achieve a nearly passivly cooled setup.
    So please, do me the favor and reply to the original post without considering the potential "waste of money". If we go down that road more then half the buildlogs on this website are a waste of money. I don't think they are because some amazing build happend on this site and I love it.
    With this waterbox, which will be build inside my new desk, is a modding project and as I said - going overkill is kind of the goal here.

Smoked Brisket likes this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you want to go passive you need rads that are designed to be passive, like these bad boys. I think I calculated that they can disapate 21w each, so you'd need a fair few of them. I think for my only 6800k and a GTX1080 I worked out I'd need around 15.23, or 3 of those kits. That are Alu, so that would be a pain, probably best to use a heat exchanger to connect the two loops. Something like that with a sinlge active rad to assist wif it starts overheating would be my suggestion.

The thing is you want to aim for as few fans as possible. More fans running slowly is the same as less fans running fast, so you want to aim for it needing no fans as much as possible. Seeing as you're building it into a desk my suggestion would be two banks of those passive rads on each side then a 360 x 60mm rad tucked away. That was the active fans can be off completely a lot of the time but when you really start kicking out heat they can kick in as required :)

5. TheArchitect

Thanks for the suggestion, but I rather stick with some active cooled radiators with really slow spinning fans. So again my question: Which would be better? 5x 560 with 20x 140mm fans or 2x MO-RA3 420 with 8x 200mm fans?

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Won't make very much difference. You'd be so over-radded (speaking as someone over-radded) that the water temps would be low whichever solution you chose.

There gets a point where you might gain or lose 1ºC of water temp with a different solution but you'd be under 5ºC water temps anyway. My setup gives water temps around 3ºC with the fans low and 1-2ºC with the fans at 1500rpm.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. CYBER-SNIPA

CYBER-SNIPA What's a Dremel?

I have an MO-RA3 360mm with 8 x 180mm Enermax fans creating a push/pull on the rad. It cools my 10900X and a 1080Ti FTW3 superbly well. Idle temps are always within 2 degrees of ambient, whilst gaming or benching temps are 40-45C for CPU and 30-30C for GPU. A similar set-up like that will be overkill for your hardware, but at least when you upgrade you will be well covered for-sure!!! :cooldude:

8. Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket What's a Dremel?

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My only thinking is with the fans open like that it doesn't matter how silent they are you'll be hearing them far more easily!

10. Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket What's a Dremel?

I know those fans. I have had experience with NBloops along with EK varder, and Noctua chromax and every variation of noctua/gentle typhoon fan that is out there that is not rgb. NBloops at full blast have the best sound period. I am not saying they are the quietest but they simply have the least annoying swoosh out of the respected radiator fans. Also the stil look the best.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yes, totally, all I mean is that if it was enclosed, even partially, with something like plexi, you'd get an even better sound profile :) As long as it doesn't rattle :p For me it'd get so dusty!

Tags: