1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

DOOM 2016 OST?

perplekks45 likes this.
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yes. The song is "Cyberdemon".

3. liratheal

I remembered seeing Mick talking about putting that stuff in a track, but couldn't remember which one.

4. perplekks45

There are actually more watermarks in those tracks. And he put other stuff in the tracks as well. Six Easter eggs in total, I think.

Google it, it's quite interesting and shows how much TLC went into producing this soundtrack.

5. liratheal

I watched.. I don't even remember what it was called, but he covered the work on the soundtrack.

Which made it all the more disappointing that he and id are no longer working together. Although I'd be interested to know the circumstances that lead to that dissolution.. I read/heard that Mick was slack on returning some edits which is why some sound weird, because someone at id had to do it, but I've not heard/read why that was.

Part of me wonders whether it was his ego bloating after the first one received so much praise (Especially directed at the soundtrack), or whether it was pushback from id about aspects of the music (As happened in the 2016 game with guitars), or a combination of both..

6. perplekks45

You might be interested in this lengthy post by Marty Stratton regarding the whys and whos and whats. Take it with a pinch of salt, but at least it's pretty detailed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/gdg25y/doom_eternal_ost_open_letter/

liratheal likes this.
  7. liratheal

8. perplekks45

I'm not sure what really happened, but having read/heard both sides of the story it's a pretty bitter end to a very fruitful partnership. The NuDooms' soundtracks are amazing and I'm really happy I got both of them in digital form, the first one on CD and vinyl on top of that.

liratheal likes this.
  9. liratheal

Pretty sure I've rescued the GB Pocket.

Now, to order an IPS screen and mod that one too..

Byron C likes this.
  10. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Chair turned up, I like it... it’s okay.... but it doesn’t feel like a £189.99 gaming chair. Emphasis on the gaming part as any decent office chair will cost way north of that! the premium PU leather looks a bit cheap and tacky. It's all a bit bulky and in the way... comfort wise. meh... its okay... all a bit underwhelming.

I think I've made a bit of a mistake to be completely honest... I've contacted the company and they're happy for me to return it. You live and learn I suppose...

What will make my life awesome? £189.99 refund I've also bought myself a replacement desk, slightly wider, marginally deeper, more leg room and more practical for those working from home days. It should also allow me to fit a monitor arm so will optimise desk space greatly!

Edit: having sold my old desk and some time to consider, I’m going to keep the chair. I spent a bit of time adjusting it tonight and while I stand by some of the above it’s certainly got the firmness I wanted.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2020
  11. liratheal

After some sanding, perhaps too much sanding, the pink GBP is now.. Pink, as oppose to snot-yellow. Also lacking the most gregarious dings and dents.

I have lost the A-B Start-Select prints, but I'm not too fussed about that.

Interestingly, I think this is a mishmash of GBP parts from someone's repair bench.

It has the power LED, but I'm given to believe that the power LED meant a plain power switch - But mine has the red dot to indicate power that was present on the GBP's without the power LED.

I also have an idea on how to use USB-C to charge batteries in the normal slot and removing the terminals from their corroded spot on the motherboard.

Parts list is now;

IPS screen
    replacement screws
    USB-C header
    2x 10440 300mah batteries

Byron C likes this.
  12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

New desk estimated between 29th-31st July

Yet arriving today! Wooo

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I just can't leave it alone, can I? I had to go back and redesign this, didn't I?

[​IMG]

To be fair there was a purpose. I've made it 120mm wide so that it fits inside the enclosure I want to use:

[​IMG]

The GBS-8200 is 117mm wide, so it should be a good fit for the enclosure. Relocating the connectors to the back of the board will help keep cable height low. It's an expensive enclosure - £35 for one this size - but I like the fact that these extruded enclosures have runners for PCBs to mount into - it means no faffing about with figuring out how to mount the boards in a case, just slide it on in and drill out the end caps accordingly. Of course it also means that the WiFi won't work as well since the only parts that aren't aluminium are the end panels.

At this rate it would have been easier and quicker to buy the OSSC, but there's no fun in just buying something off the shelf.

IanW, Pete J and liratheal like this.
  14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

after going on hiatus mid season due to covid (boo!) Tacoma FD is back on the air.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

What should have been a ten minute job took me seven hours. I'm only in this thread because it turned out well :D

Yesterday all I had to do before I could do tons of wiring was flip my little book case thing I put my amp and router in etc I just had to flip it upside down and screw and glue it to the oak top I bought. However, for some reason I will never understand the oak cracked along the grain. It didn't crack all the way through, but about 80%. So I glued it up. Sadly I had no clamps or anything else. I just let the weight of it press it together. Then after that had set the other 20% underneath cracked through. I was really stressing as I don't have any tools left here, let alone drills and power tools to make stuff. Not even a Dremel.

In the end I remembered that mum gave me an airer, and with the two side wing things it was too big so I removed one and removed all of the alu poles. They already had holes pre drilled, so all I had to do was saw into the ends a bit (with an old serrated kitchen knife, FFS) and bend them. Et voila.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mostly there now. Just have to put the snake stuff on the network wires running across the floor there and hook up the bluetooth sender/receiver and get some rear speakers or a sound bar or something.

[​IMG]

Remotes are getting out of hand too.

[​IMG]

Oh and ignore that fat smudge on the TV. That's just me with no top on showing my nipples etc so I blurred it out. Figured people might be eating their Sunday lunch :D

I've also created a new space for what seems like it could easily take a next gen console too :D

Goatee likes this.
  16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

[​IMG]
    Time for a megatron?

...Actually best cheap simple solution I've found (excepting RF stuff like the Fire) is a One For All remote with a learning/macro feature. Amazing how capable they are for the money. The learning means they can do stuff that probably isn't in their database of presets *cough*TAG McLaren*cough* :happy:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Just finished installing a tailgate central locking kit on the truck, and it actually took around the same time that the instructions suggested (90 mins)
    I was very dubious about this as step 11 in the instructions is "route the cable to the wiring loom in the passenger footwell"

Which slightly glosses over the involvement here as it consists of...
    - Try to fish the cable through the rubber trunking contorted between the tailgate and the bed
    - Find some grease when you decide that it's not working and lube it up a bit
    - Feed the wire through and shimmy along under the truck with zip-ties and attach the cable to existing wiring
    - Feed the cable up over the front passenger wheel well liner into the engine bay
    - With the worlds longest and skinniest arms (or a long stick and some good luck) pull the cable up to the top of the engine bay
    - Go on youtube to figure out just how to get this wire into the cabin
    - Try to punch through the grommet identified on youtube
    - Push the grommet through and lose it behind the firewall
    - Remove the door sill and trim in the passenger footwell
    - Pull up the carpet and pull back the firewall to find the grommet
    - Punch through and feed the cable prior to reinserting it into the hole
    - Pull the cable through into the passenger footwell

It was also missing a final instruction of "After you've wired everything up, reverse the wires on the lock actuator because in spite of following all of the instructions properly, it's backwards" (i.e unlocks the tailgate on lock and vice-versa)

It was around 2 hours end to end, but there was some brief stop in play to allow for rain and I took a few extra minutes to solder instead of using the splice clips provided.

And it works, and it's so much more convenient than pulling the key out of the fob to unlock. It seems like a little thing, but operating the little clip to release the key is a two handed job, which is almost always incompatible with the scenarios where I want to throw something in the bed.

18. Vault-Tec

Either that or

A. I need to get a serious dose of radiation and hope I grow a few more arms (too much Fallout 3 I think) or

B. Become an octopus.

In other news....

[​IMG]

Finally. Four months after building it !!!!! woooooo !!!!!!!!

19. Vault-Tec

Oh god it just gets better.

So I phoned my old neighbour earlier. I asked what had happened to the flat I used to live in (the damp hell hole). Apparently Environmental services black listed it so it's still sitting empty 16 months later and she can't sell or rent it. Ain't gonna lie I was all like

[​IMG]

IanW and Byron C like this.
  20. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

After the below post from the "What's ruining your life thread" I can report that all machinery is currently working (aside from the telehandler AC)

This includes the Deutz tractor finally coming back from the workshop along with the delivery of our new direct drill and a new trailer for me to build a mineral feeder on for out cattle to give them free choice minerals.

Back up to a full complement of 3 tractors, telehandler plus the 2 ATV's. :)

After deciding to do all maintenance on the Polaris vehicles myself I can report that both are now driving better and all annoying rattles have been found and fixed, the dealer isn't going near these vehicles again if I have my way. High cost for spares, ridiculous labour charges and poor service that leaves you without essential equipment for days or weeks if the dealer is busy. When these need replacing I'm going to be looking at Can-AM and Kubota I think.