1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Also enjoying "you did it vat doin" and "class of 2020 2"

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm sure he has an "oven ready" strategy... :p

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A timeline of wilful incompetence:

edzieba and adidan like this.
  4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I like how that video ends with "Led by Donkeys." I'd like to see a similar video of the US timeline.

5. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

[​IMG]

Mr_Mistoffelees and Anfield like this.
  6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Their jobs just got a lot closer to home I guess.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2020
    Pete J likes this.
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

In other UK Corona news: The FCA is trying to do the right thing over business interruption insurance:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/20/fca-insurers-covid-19-claims-policies-coronavirus

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Insurance companies trying to weasel out of paying? First time that's ever happened.

12. RedFlames

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'm shocked, shocked!
    Well, not that shocked...

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sam Harris predicting Trump's incompetence at handling CoronAIDS...four years ago, before he was even president.

15. RedFlames

To see how a Trump govt would handle a pandemic, you just had to look at how Pence handled a HIV outbreak whilst he was a Governor

TL-DR: he made it worse.

16. VipersGratitude

So Sam Harris predicted that a historically incompetent man would continue to be incompetent? Let me blow your mind - Usain Bolt will continue to run pretty fast a year from now
    FYI Sam Harris also believes that black people are genetically less intelligent than whites (Look up Ezra Klein debate).

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm having extremely horrible thoughts about how exactly one goes about making an HIV outbreak worse...
    Probably not - he retired in 2017.
    I've just fired up the 2 hour debate to listen to while I build my Lego. However, if I were to make a prediction based on my previous listening to Sam, he probably states that black people have a lower Gaussian distribution for IQ testing (which Asians score higher in than whites), but does not state that this is the only method of assessment.

18. VipersGratitude

Retiring won't stop him from being able to run pretty fast

A distribution which he attributed to race rather something like the pygmalion effect

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm going to be honest - I got about halfway through and got bored. Might be the engineer side of me who prefers to hear solutions rather than people waffle on.

Anyways:

You mentioned the pygmalion effect - do you have data to back it up? Because unfortunate as it is, the IQ relation to race is possible to argue (though the cause may be environmental).

To state that Sam Harris:

is utter crap though, and not at all helpful.He's more concerned with seeing if it can be addressed as he sees it as a potential result of the data analysis. In fact, he actively states right at the start that he dislikes using IQ values as a comparative.

20. VipersGratitude

Personally, no not on me, but it was coined after a landmark study in the 60's. In the intervening 50 years there have been many more. I'm guessing @Nexxo may be able to teach us both something about the observer-expectancy effect

"People don't want to hear that a person's intelligence is in large measure due to his or her genes, and that there seems to be very little we can do environmentally to increase that person's intelligence even in childhood. It's not that environment doesn't matter but genes appear to be 50-80% of the story. People don't want to hear this. And they certainly don't want to hear that average IQ differs across races and ethnic groups". ~ Sam Harris.

I'm starting to think I sent you to the wrong piece of media - The Klein challenge being Harris on the backfoot, attempting to mitigate the fallout of his invocation of race science to explain racial/class stratification. The above quote is from the original podcast that kicked off the controversy. Try it instead, noting that Charles Murray is not a geneticist of any sort, but a political scientist, who works for a right wing think tank, and who wrote a book arguing the innate intellectual inferiority of certain races.