1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have added, as you are right :D

The non square dimensions is because the technology is based around LCD screens. here is an example of the LCD screen in the printer, hence the print dimensions.

[​IMG]

MadGinga likes this.
  2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

It does, doesn't it?! Will file this under Another Slippery Slope Hobby (alognside GW, and Lego MOCs (thanks @Pete J, Drones) to add to the existing money-sinks that are Lego sets, Computers, films/tv, books, kids, etc....

Pete J, Arboreal and liratheal like this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's limited by the dimension of the LCD panel - which is produced in a 16:9 aspect ratio (ish). If someone made a 1:1 ratio panel, it'd have a 1:1 ratio print footprint. Height is effectively limited only by how big they want to build it, from my understanding.

Edit: Ninja'd!

MadGinga likes this.
  4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

You could use this to print models for your GW obsession, that's one of the main use cases......

MadGinga likes this.
  5. MadGinga

Lalalalalala i'm not listening lalalalalalalalaaa! :p

Arboreal likes this.
  6. MadGinga

Total n00b question, but how does a LCD screen "print"?!

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It doesn't. Y'know how an LCD normally blocks/filters certain parts of the white backlight, and as a result you get pictures made up of pretty colours? Now imagine the backlight is a UV light, and it's only blocking/not blocking. The UV light shines through the not-blocking pixels of the LCD onto a layer of UV-sensitive resin, which hardens 'cos it's being exposed to UV. The print bed then moves up a layer, taking the now-hard resin with it, and the LCD panel shifts to the next "slice" (a 2D image of a 3D object's layer). The process repeats until you've got a shiny new 3D thing.

MadGinga, Arboreal and Goatee like this.
  8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

As the Gman says it’s pretty simple. If you think about it in comparison to moving a heated filament printer along three axis, squirting molten plastic out it’s quite elegant.

As it’s optical rather than physical you can also use techniques like Anti-aliasing to further improve quality (like in gaming).

9. MadGinga

Ah-ha, thanks for the answer; i knew it didnt print itself (hence the quotation marks), but couldn't figure out how it was used in the printing process... too brain deep into a really sh*tily written software requirements document :(

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Requirements documents - Pffft! What you need is a little printer running away printing you out little mini's ready for some therapeutic painting at the end of the day.....

Joking aside, while researching I came across a world of Paetron modelers building and releasing free or subsidized models to supporters. Some of the work is pretty impressive and the volume of models from some of them is pretty impressive.

11. Gareth Halfacree

"£190ish for a 3D printer," thinks I. "That's cheap. I'll buy that."

Then...

Well, I'll need some resin, obviously.

Oh, the parts need to cure post-printing? Okay, then.

Support structures? Well, I don't want to gum up my nice side-cutters with plastic, so I guess these'll do.

Finishing where the structures were? Go on, then.

Total damage for my "£190" 3D printer: £284.78. Whoops.

(I could have got some UV lights a lot cheaper for the curing thing, but I liked the fact it was all-in-one and had a cover so you're not blasting UV around the room.)

MadGinga likes this.
  12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

...... There's no ultrasonic bath on there....... :D

13. Gareth Halfacree

I drew the line there: I'mma shove the prints in a Tupperware with some water and shake 'em around for five minutes.

MadGinga likes this.
  14. MadGinga

Thanks for doing the research for me! :lol:
    Yeah, 300 beer tokens is definitely beyond me at the moment... i'm looking at you Mr £95k extension and £30k kitchen...

15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

IanW, Goatee and liratheal like this.
  17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So, "I'll just get a cheap little TLR to play around with analog photography with" escalated a bit:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty grubby, but fully functional once you stop being a pillock and turn off the multi-exposure switch after exposing a 'roll' onto the first frame :duh:. And stop wondering why the shutter isn't firing and remember to pull the darkslide out.
    The AE prism finder is fairly bulky (but lets me be lazy and not carry a separate light meter), but for some reason the waist-level folding finder goes for £150 (damn near what I got the entire camera setup for)!

Arboreal and yuusou like this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Double post, please remove.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2020
  19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Might be pretty grubby but, I expect it's built like a tank and will outlast you.

"Escalated a bit."

That can happen when you get back in to listening to music, after a very long hiatus... :worried:

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What did you buy? :lol: