1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The 3D Printing Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SkiDave, 6 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Results? I've been on tenterhooks all afternoon - with mine delayed until Monday, I'm looking to live vicariously here!

Bloody_Pete and Goatee like this.
  2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Late to the party but yeah that's the way I handle my supports now, I've found that Chitu has a habit of running supports through the model regardless of settings which results in some strange 'artifacts' at times, or the support connection being the full support size leading to damage when it's removed.
    One thing that Prusaslicer doesn't automatically do is put an angle on the support pad which can be useful for getting a blade under the print. If that's something you want you can change the pad wall slope angle in the pad section of the print settings.

Gareth Halfacree and Goatee like this.
  3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

[​IMG]

A frog, it’s sooooooo smooth. Like Barry White, smoking a Cuban sat in a barrel of whisky smooth. 0.1 print height so took about 90 mins.

well impressed.

Edit: Added bigger picture for the smooooooothness

Last edited: 24 Jul 2020
    MLyons, Gareth Halfacree and Arboreal like this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ah, the cure of late week shopping :p

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Gareth Halfacree and MLyons like this.
  6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Is the water-based resin any different in use/quality/smell to the normal stuff?

7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have never used normal Resin and have only been printing with washable since Friday, but I would say the smell is comparable or just a little bit worse than filament. It’s not horrific, just not great.

My understanding during my research was that the worst smelly bit was the cleaning step (95%+ IPA) and this avoids that entirely. The resin smell is much better than acetone or IPA in my view and comparable to paint fumes.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I meant to ask: when you increased the print height to 0.1mm, did you change any of the timings as well or leave 'em at default?

9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Nope, although I maybe should have done as I got some print issues. I'm back to 0.5mm as I'm printing a load of Voronoi heart's to make a lighting installation for above our stairs.

BTW, I would suggest printing out the frog: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3124861 as a test piece, it came out nicely, is already hollow and has drainage holes.

Has it arrived yet?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, it's here - but I'm not sure when it'll get unboxed.

Cheers for the advice on the print settings and test print idea!

11. Gareth Halfacree

Well, here goes nothing!

upload_2020-7-28_19-5-31.png

Hope it doesn't matter that I knocked the table while I was taking that. Whoops!

Last edited: 28 Jul 2020
    Goatee and Byron C like this.
  12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

No supports, crazy man!

Edit: looks like that frog is hung!!

MLyons likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

I has a frog!

...I also has a small gouge taken out of the build plate, 'cos I wasn't being terribly careful with the metal scraper while trying to get the SURPRISINGLY WELL STUCK DOWN frog off.

Whoops.

<goes to DuckDuckGo "fixing gouge in 3D resin printer build plate">

Frog!

upload_2020-7-28_21-56-39.png

Last edited: 28 Jul 2020
    MLyons, Arboreal and Goatee like this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

I've always wanted an Eames Lounge Chair, and now I have one!

upload_2020-7-29_12-1-45.png

...in Sylvanian Families' scale.

Still having difficulties with the removal-from-the-print-platform stage. I didn't gouge out the platform this time, but I *did* manage to chip a bit off one of the feet.

EDIT:
    For my next trick:

upload_2020-7-29_12-26-18.png

Trying out three different ways to print a keycap: top-down, top-up, top-up with raft and support, top-down with raft and support.

I'm not sure how usable the finished caps'll be, though - the resin's pretty brittle when it hardens. We'll see!

Last edited: 29 Jul 2020
    MLyons and Goatee like this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

First print failures: I dunno what went wrong, but those keycaps are extremely variable. Some walls are *super* thin, some were incomplete, one shattered when I tried to remove it, and one - a top-down with raft and support - simply didn't exist, and I found a solid ghost of what it should have been attached to the FEP when I drained the tank.

Could be the model, maybe the walls are too thin for consumer-grade resin printing. Ne'er mind, onwards and upwards!

16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

How thin are the walls of the key cap?

i printed some really thin items, so interested in establishing limits.

I might try some key caps using my new patented support method and see if I have some luck.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Final score: four pretty usable, one usable but the top needs sanding flat, three imperfect - mostly too-thin walls - and two entirely unusable, plus one that shattered and the one that never was. Not great.

upload_2020-7-29_14-50-33.png

Fits, but it's loose - turn the keyboard over and give it a tap and it'll pop off no trouble.

upload_2020-7-29_14-52-42.png

There are a couple of the failures - you can see one's shattered/incomplete, and the other one's warped for some reason - see the droopy bottom-right edge of the right-hand one?

EDIT:
    There's one that fits absolutely *perfectly*, like a factory fit. I have *no idea* why they're all so variable - if the model was a problem, wouldn't they all be a problem?

Hmm. Annoying.

EDIT EDIT:
    Apparently, and I quote, "large parts might be particularly susceptible to warping in DLP 3D printing as usually the UV light is not as strong around the extremities of the build area." The keycaps aren't large individually, but I have crammed 'em onto the build surface. I reckon that's my problem - need to keep things closer to the middle!
    The model's here, if you want to give it a go.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2020
  18. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Will give them a try.

Which one of your 4 variants printed better? With supports on a raft?

I'm currently on a 6h+ marathon print with something like 1800 layers. 4 hours in and its still looking like testicles.

[​IMG]

19. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

One of us needs to see a doctor.

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I think it might be me, it was only this size a few days ago...

[​IMG]

Byron C and enbydee like this.