1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Herman Miller reveals gaming-focussed chair and desk

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Jul 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think some were expecting it from Logitech; a 'racing chair' type seat with a Herman Miller sticker and matching price tag.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. Plus, Aerons come in three sizes - doesn't matter how much you adjust it if you got the wrong one...

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Bingo. A, B and C look visually almost indistinguishable even when sat next to each other. But sit on the wrong one and it really sucks in short order.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Pointless. Totally and utterly pointless, as people have found out when modding the chair to take a headrest. I have an Embody, and if you are sat in it correctly your head is nowhere near the chair at all. In fact, the chair isn't even high enough.

[​IMG]

With the chair adjusted properly and me sitting in it as I should (feet flat, thigh support out and correct lumbar) there is just no way you could actually use a headrest. The chair supports your lower back as it should and your spine follows with your head atop it. Sitting back in it is actually quite tough, and it doesn't encourage slouching.

The only way I could possibly see it ever needing a headrest is if you were reclined in it, at which point I may as well walk the 7ft to my actual sofa and actually recline in it.

TBH? it is actually very difficult to sit in an Embody incorrectly. Like, the edges of the seat area are lipped up to support your thighs, making it impossible to do what I used to do so often (sit on my foot). Which of course wasn't good for me at all.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, now THAT we weren't told. As far as I'm aware, the whole office got the same model.

I think what rankles with me is the combination of price charged/proliferation of Golden Throne of Terra-like personal reviews/my own personal experience all not quite jiving. But it now appears they may have been given a bad rep on my part due to a possible massive fitting error. And no alternative options being offered by the firm didn't help, either.

I'd be interested to know if that was indeed the case. Where does one even go to try out chairs of various make and model, other than all over the place to many, many different shops? Is there a one-stop showroom?

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Pre-plague I used John Lewis to test drive a healthy selection in-store, and their return policy allows for a reasonable amount of home trial as well

silk186 likes this.
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Chairs are one of those things where bricks and mortar stores still have value... you really can't assess their suitability based on a picture, you've really gotta just sit in it.

jb0 and silk186 like this.
  8. Merglet

Merglet What's a Dremel?

I'll stick with the SecretLab chair I'm (probably) ordering next week.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I still can't figure out whether or not I'm getting on with my Titan. I don't feel like I am today.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I ordered the Secretlabs Titan a few days ago. I've never had a good seat and it was on my mind I needed something better than the office chair I been in for years. I'm tired of putting up with it. I WAS saving up for a graphics card, but I reasoned the chair was more important. I checked reviews and everyone seems to agree it's worth the cost. I will start saving up for a GPU again.

Tags: Add Tags