1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays dual screen issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 30 Jul 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Nothing is more annoying and stressing than something that works fine for months and suddenly stops working without any logical reason :miffed:
    I come to seek for your knowlege, or any idea that I wouldn't think about to solve this. Thanks by advance.
    here is the situation
    I use a dual screen on one of my PC, composed by a Compaq 220q PC monitor and a Toshiba TV.
    -The Compaq display is linked via a VGA/HDMI adaptor
    -The TV is linked by a HDMI/DP adaptor
    both are plugged on my RX 580
    Windows 10 display settings are set on " extended displays"

It worked fine for several months, but today, Radeon software asked for an update, so I did it, and after restarting, only the Compaq display view the desktop, but the TV went black...:sad:

I restarted again, same thing, so I took the basic steps to isolate the issue:
    - I checked through display options in Windows, and also in the Radeon software: nothing changed
    - I swapped the HDMI plug on the TV (there are 4 of it)
    - I tried the TV as a second display on another computer : it worked fine :naughty:
    Finally, I linked only the TV to the computer, removing the Compaq display, but the telly remained black :wallbash:
    This is where I am now, and I am pretty mad because it seems unlogical to me :rollingeyes:
    any ideas ?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What if you try mirroring the display?

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for such a fast reply bloody_pete, I've just tried that, but it didn't changed anything :rollingeyes:

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

probably not going to help but...linus had a video where, after trying everything in the world, he removed the adapter and went with a straight cable...so basically a cable with hdmi on one end and display port on the other (or something of that nature)...and it worked...as if the adapter was the problem...might be worth a try. those cables run pretty cheap here in the states

edit...this was a recent video...trying to play games in 8k or something

5. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for your suggestion @trig, but the cable between the telly and the PC is precisely that type of straight cable
    [​IMG]
    And I checked the cable integrity by linking it on another PC, it must be something else...:idea:

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

This seems to be the only thing changed. Try going back to older driver?

7. kim

kim hardware addict

First of all, thank you for your reply @wyx087, yep, it was one of the first thing that came to my mind...after reading your suggestion, I checked the release notes about this update and I saw this:
    in the fixed issues...:grin:
    • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system hang or black screen when running Folding@Home while also running an application using hardware acceleration of video content
    Mine isn't from the RX Vega serie but it's a RX still and @folding is active on this computer so...:sigh:

and then in the known issues...
    • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround
    All of this sounds pretty similar to what I experienced, so I will try to disable Enhanced sync first of all, and if it doesn't fix it, then I will try to go back to the previous driver...:rollingeyes:
    however, if changing drivers was an easy thing to do before, nowdays with the Radeon software wich is managing everything automatically, I don't know how to do that, but I will scour internet to find the way...
    Thanks again, I will post about the result.

8. kim

kim hardware addict

I'm pulling my hair out :wallbash: here are the latests things I tried today, and it's more and more unlogical :sigh:

I disabled Enhanced Sync, but it didn't change anything

I went back to the previous driver using the device manager, but absolutely no changings, the TV was still black

A glance into the advanced display options of Windows 10 showed that the TV was listed but not detected :rollingeyes:

I uninstalled @folding and tried all configurations without any results : black screen, black screen :wallbash:

I tried with another TV, a more recent one, in dual screen mode and in single screen mode...same thing, in dual screen, only the PC screen is detected, and TV stays black but if I use the TV in single screen, it doesn't works neither via HDMI or DP :lol: :grin:

I tried both TVs alone in single display via HDMI/HDMI and via HDMI/DP, using different cables : black screen :sad:

I decided to remove the RX580 and to install another Graphic card, I had a spare R9 Fury so I plugged it and update drivers, but it's exatly the same f....g result :miffed: only the Compaq display is detected, all TVs remains black whatever I try...:waah:

More incredible: once again I tried both TVs on another PC, and the result is exactly the same ...it works in single screen but dual screen isn't working anymore here :hehe:
    it drives me nuts :lol:

Last edited: 31 Jul 2020
  9. kim

kim hardware addict

some new clues...
    Well...I found the traitor :grr:...I didn't give up and I discovered that the HDMI/DP straight cable was defective, I was poking around with cables when I saw the desktop appear by lifting up the cable :eyebrow:
    I tried to link the TV with a straight HDMI cable and the Compaq display using a brand new VGA to DP adaptor, but now, the TV is the only display detected :hehe:
    Though, the Compaq display was showing the boot sequence when I started, but then it went dark, and while I am writing this, the power led is turning green every minut and the screen shows like if it was going to wake up... and the second after, it shutdown again :oldconfused:
    To get back to my dual screen set up, I had to install a second GPU and link both displays in HDMI, that's the only way I found ... I am aware that my Compaq is too old, the VGA connector and required adaptors are not suiting multi displays...
    I think I will just buy a new HDMI/DP cable, thank you very mutch to all those who replied for your time and advices, I myself, consider this thread closed.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2020
    wyx087 likes this.