1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I use those on my 700c. They work great.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just found one but its leaking air where it goes into the track pump.

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Stupid question, but you have closed the nipple of the presta valve after pumping it up?

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh it's leaking while I pump it up.

I'm used to the valve type as that's what we had growing up mostly. Take off the dust cap, unscrew the valve nipple a little, give a quick press to make sure it's not stuck then attach pump, blow it up and tighten everything back up.

5. Cookie Monster

Cool. Sorry for asking a daft question, I though you would know what you're doing. We used to get a lot of people come into the bike shop i ran who just generally had no clue, so it was something I always checked first.

Leaking while being pumped up can sometimes just be a poor seal between the pump and the valve. The only way to really check the valve properly is to get the tube out, put some air in the tyre and give the valve a wiggle round 360 degrees to potentially open up a split. If there is no split it's the pump connection.

When installing the tube, never tighten the small nut that holds the valve at the rim as it restricts the movement and causes the valve / tube joint to split.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Oddly it's leaking between the adaptor and the track pump but it doesn't do this on my bike which has the Schrader type.

7. Cookie Monster

Inside the head of the pump us just a block of rubber with a hole in it, its sometimes not the best at sealing. As @Vault-Tec said, an adaptor is the next thing. When looking, if you can get one with a rubber o-ring around the presta end (like this) it will give a better seal than ones without. There is no guarentee you will get one with the o-ring, the number of times I ordered them and got them without was more often the case.

I've never done it, but you could always PTFE tape (if you have any) the thread of the valve just a little to try and get a better seal.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The adapter should be a schrader thread the same as a schrader valve.

[​IMG]

Make sure the O-ring is in there. It'll just pee air otherwise. Also make sure you have locked your pump to it correctly, as some start closed and you open the lever to lock, and some start with it open and you close it to lock. It needs to be locked to the schrader. Practice that before you fit it to the presta.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I put the adapter into my track pump on it's own and opened the lever to seal it, put my finger over the end and pumped and not a single bit of air leaked out, it's really annoying.

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

11. Cookie Monster

Check the Australian Giant website for 2021 bikes, they usually hit that site first. I don’t know if there is anything there though.

The boss was in my shop on sat sitting with the manager doing the 2021 Cube order.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2020
  12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Technically as Australia are in the future time wise, this makes sense.

ElThomsono likes this.
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nice to see this thread is alive again :)

I've decided to build myself a bike rather than buying one off the shelf, partly because I was struggling to get exactly what I wanted pre-built and partly for the fun of doing a project. Going for a bit of a jack-of-all-trades gravel/adventure build that can do commuting duties as well as offering scope for weekend rambles. Obviously half of the fun has been putting together the mother of all spreadsheets to track and source all of the individual components, but I've now acquired pretty much every component required... except the frame and wheelset. These have been delayed a wee bit so it'll probably be another month or so before they arrive, which is a bit frustrating but quite understandable in the current circumstances. Really looking forward to putting it all together.

And obviously it's been a good excuse to acquire a few new tools! I'm feeling reasonably confident about building it all up, and I think the only bit that I'm nervous about is cutting down the carbon steerer - this will definitely be a case of measuring twice, measuring twice again, then cutting once :happy:

Will post some pics in here once it's all built up. Could post some now but who wants to see a whole load of bike bits? :D

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hearing the prices on that Croatian site are 10% more than the rest of Europe so I'm hoping my cycle 2 work scheme voucher will still be enough to get something decent.

15. legoman

What frame/wheelset you after?

Photos always welcome though!

Had a bit of a mare this weekend problem with the right pedal or cleat not releasing properly so went splat a few times, last one I did something to my Ankle so this week I'm replacing the cleats stripping a cleaning the pedal an fitting some new bar tape.
    All easy just a bit sore today.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have a Mason Bokeh frame on order, along with some 700c Mason X Hunt wheels. I'll quite likely get some 650b wheels at some point as a secondary set.

Failure to unclip is always annoying. When I got new shoes over the winter I was amazed at how much difference there was between my old worn cleats and a brand new pair... But it doesn't count as falling over if no-one sees it, though, right? :D

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Nobody ever fell off a bike when there was nobody to see it, honest...

I remember keeling over at a junction once, because I hadn't loosened a toestrap. Never hsppened after I went clipless. Look pedals with Time shoes in around 1991 or 92.

18. legoman

I have 700c and 650b, both are a lot of fun though regretting the choice of 650b rubber as its a little too slick (it is actually slick) super comfy though 47c tyres at 45psi you just float along.
    Certainly look forward to the photos, what groupsets going on?

Unfortunately it was in front of a couple of club mates, all shocked as I'm the one who never has accidents, I was happily doing my usual in ride shenanigans so bunny hops, nabbing things out their pockets etc zero issue, come to a stop an my foots stuck. I said I should have stopped on the grass, alas I didn't.
    Found some Deda Presa tape nothing fancy but its fresh, other tape was getting a bit worn down anyway.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, it's going to be Panaracer Gravelking SK* 35s on the 700c wheels to start with, and if I get some 650b wheels later on then it'd probably be something knobbly around 45mm+ (the frame can accommodate 2.1" on 650b). Not planning on going tubeless to start with but could be persuaded. Do you run tubeless and if so, how do you find it?

* Fun fact: the "SK" in Gravelking SK actually stands for "small knob".

As for groupset... I may have done a madness and gone GRX Di2 :eeek:

20. legoman

Groupset, yes full madness, If I upgrade this I'll stick with mechanical mainly owning to cost. New shifters an possibly new brakes and rotors (140mm is a bit rubbish) Plus these are RS505 shifters an brakes so they are alright but the shifter will break eventually.

Yeah I went kind of the other way wheel wise, so my 700's have some G ones on them, of I have a set of Rubino slick's where the 650s are Vittoria Teranno Zeros, so fat 47c slicks.

I stuck with tubes as I am lazy, plus I never had luck with tubeless, ended up stuck middle of no where no signal an a tyre that basically tore itself in half. long old walk home that was! Since then, tubes for me.