1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

phone, McLaren 6T to be exact.

Pete J likes this.
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Currently awesome, though also likely to be ruining at various points over the next couple of months.

Sale agreed on our house, offer accepted on the next one.

It's also the one house that we were particularly keen on last summer, so as frustrating as it was when we listed last summer when frick all was selling, we were able accept an offer for ours within 3 week of re-listing this time around and the house we're buying has handily had a couple of drops, not to mention the savings on stamp duty.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Business has been rather good of late, but that comes with a hidden cost I'll post to the obverse thread...

adidan likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

[​IMG]

Amazing. That's just plain regular old paper (A4 too, the A3 decal vinyl isn't in yet !).

No more paying out the ass for decals !

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nice to know you can still snag bargains on eBay auctions from time to time.

One of the reasons I bought a clunky old PowerMac G4 was so that I can try out MorphOS, a modern Amiga-like operating system with backwards compatibility (through emulation) for classic 68k applications. But MorphOS doesn't support graphics acceleration on the GeForce2 MX that my PowerMac came with, and nor does it support the numerous Mac GeForce2/4 MX cards you can easily find all over eBay. Flashing the BIOS on a PC AGP card just seems... messy... and means I'd never be able to use the Apple Display Connector* (if I ever get a compatible screen).

So I just bagged a Mac AGP ATi Radeon 9000 Pro, which apparently enjoys full graphics acceleration under MorphOS. The 'awesome' part is that I was the only bidder and I paid a total of £4.09 - £3.10 shipping and 99p for the card. I just hope it doesn't turn up smashed to pieces!

I am also picking up a 1GHz CPU module tomorrow, for which I also paid a relative pittance...

*By the way, I had no idea that the ADC supported up to 100W of DC power output. Until very recently I just thought it was a proprietary modification to DVI. I remember being enthused at the prospect of being able to have power and video on the same cable when USB Type-C was first starting to become a thing. Little did I know that Apple did this 20 years ago.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

With the risk my missus will jack in work for pastures new I've been ramping up my eBay operation to really get some money flowing in, over the weekend I spent a lot of my time trying to snipe some really good deals and bagged myself a box of 50 Vinyl LPs for £15

I usually steer clear of vinyl because its a load of stuff nobody really wants, this box was full to the brim with gems!!

Artists such as Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Elton John, UB40, Stevie Wonder to name just a few... I'd say resell value is well over £250-£300 if not slightly more. All listed last night and I've already made a return on my investment.

I also bagged a couple vintage 1950s Bush radios for £25 the pair, In reasonable condition. Again, made an almost instant return on investment having sold one.

It's harder work than I expected but hoping she'll be able to muck in and do a majority of the work soon enough, just hoping I can maintain the momentum.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'd steer clear because after you've factored in the time to listen to every one all the way though to be sure they're not damaged the return will be minimal

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...now I'm imagining a turntable hooked to a Raspberry Pi which uses a simple ML algorithm to look for scratches, pops, and what have you in the audio stream. Maybe even plays back at higher-than-normal speed, so it takes less time...

EDIT:
    Ooh, mount it above the turntable with a Camera Module and have it take a picture of the record before playback starts, automatically rotate it so the label's the right way up, and save it along with a waveform visualisation (or a simple "Quality Checked" graphic) - ready to list on FleaBay then, all you need is a shot of the sleeve!

Last edited: 4 Aug 2020
  9. Vault-Tec

10. Vault-Tec

Finally after over a year I can fearlessly peel the old decals off. Stunk of fish boak.

[​IMG]

And try mine :D

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Signed a contract for a new book, on the absolute tightest deadline ever. It's going to be a tough couple of months, but I'm hoping the finished product will be worth it!

IanW, David, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ooooh good news, what's the subject matter Gareth?

:D

13. Gareth Halfacree

MicroPython - the Python implementation for microcontrollers.

MLyons, adidan, yuusou and 3 others like this.
  14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Went to the dentist this morning to start a root canal. I'd seen a different dentist when I'd gone in previously, but got my usual one today and he reckoned we could just do a deeper filling. Result! Still feel like i've took a left hook though.

EDIT: And after a couple of emails I've arranged for my drill to be looked at under warranty as it developed a bit of a wobble. Halfway through ISAC. Being collected by UPS tomorrow so don't even have to go anywhere :rock:

Last edited: 6 Aug 2020
    adidan, IanW, Vault-Tec and 1 other person like this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Now I remember why I always wanted one.

When I first saw the Fat Boy I thought "OMG that looks so stupid". Then I saw TJ Lavin back flip one at X games and I was like "Man that bike looks so mean".

[​IMG]

And it does. What a totally killer rig.

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Worth the sunburn.

Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Yeah it was just so much fun ! (heavy dollop of sarcasm)

[​IMG]

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I made a thing!

Well, a couple of things.

The lady has an apparently unending desire to own chopping boards, and she (of course) likes the ones that are nice to look at. At the moment they're all propped up against the side somewhere, and it irks her.

So I had an impulse thought about getting a nice bit of wood and cutting slots into it so the boards could stand away from the side, look nice, and given that her birthday is around the corner..

I got myself a bit of olive wood (which smells very strange when working), and attacked it savagely with a sander and a router.

There was another conundrum, though, what to finish it with. So I had a nosey around, I know she likes beeswax and citrus scents. I found some food safe mineral oil for cutting boards with a citrus scent, and some beeswax pellets intended for cosmetics. Melted the wax, mixed in the oil, and stuffed into jars. So now we have "custom" (In so much as I made it over the stove, feeling like a right weirdo) wood finish.

[​IMG]

Strangely, most of it fit on the first try. Not usual.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Look how clean it is! <3

[​IMG]

And it works! <3

[​IMG]

Floppy drive is knackered though, belt has perished :waah: . Will test it with my Gotek over the weekend and get it running some games. I definitely want to refurb the drive and check out just exactly what type of drive it is though, I don't recognise it at all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

That is actually a lovely bit of kitchen-kit. Very pretty. I loved how the grain moved through it. You really put some effort into it.

And the thought you put into it is beautiful. The wood selection, then the scents of the finish and the extra effort into that. Just amazing. (Totally serious)

*** REMOVED ***

EDITED BY MLyons:
    "bruh"

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Aug 2020