1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage workshop (garage conversion)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman, 16 Jul 2020.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

After requests over on discord for a project log so, here is a project log.

Rough plan is covert half a single garage into a workshop, builder was here the other day and has fitted a for and double window.

Idea is this will be mainly for the two things I do most, fix bicycles and wood working. So it'll be kitted out for this mainly
    Power and light due to go in soon awaiting a sparky but three double sockets and lighting will be on the list.

Space wise it's about 2.5M wide by 2.8m long. If my maths is right I'll get all my current stuff in and have a load more space to play with.

Photos later namely as the ones I have are huge and I can't be bothered to scale them down via the mobile. Plus I reckon I'll have one of the work benches in place this evening.
    Main issue is have is moving things round, it's going to be like one of those sliding image puzzles but I'll make it work.

More later

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

A sliding puzzle is the perfect analogy. -Only the open space is always getting filled up as soon as you clear it out.

3. legoman

The space is a lie :hehe:
    Once the bench is in place I'm going to move it again and get some paint on the wall. Theres a big tub of white masonry paint in there somewhere which should brighten things up more.

Nexxo likes this.
  4. legoman

So, bit of progress, cleared out a stack of crap which is now neatly piled ready for a visit to the tip.

Wood bench is in, my initial layout isn't quite going to work but a quick revision will allow it but heres a rough plan, app wont let me re scale the image sorry!

[​IMG]

Garage window and door after day 1 builder came back and finished the job its all secured now

[​IMG]

An here is where I'm up to, bench is around 124cm long window is 90cm wide, window security film

[​IMG]

Next unit to be moved tomorrow leaving the biggest bench till the weekend as its very heavy even when empty. Can't find the paint at the moment, likely been binned so i'll grab some at the weekend

neSSa likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

The builder really should have put something under the pvc window sill and doorstep. I'd recommend some concrete under that step.
    -Not a fan of painting brick either. It can't be reversed and looks like a penitentiary interior.
    -Captain picky builder.
    Prop that fence back up too. :lol:

MLyons likes this.
  6. legoman

He actually did on day two, you can see the plastic spacers still jutting out. He didn't do a step as I'm laying a path from there so no point, plus I don't have the slab currently. May do a small step inside too we shall see how I get on.

Walls, undecided on painted will brighten it up inside, but as you say its very prison like. Either way a ceiling is going in which will be painted, once I source a sparky. place is an utter tip still got loads to bin but you have to book a tip visit currently which is set for Saturday...

Panel, that's actually a panel from an old shed the mother had ideas for but they all failed. It has been propped up though ready to be broken up.

Also, got bored I had already planned this frame triangle for a light so thought I should offer it up. Likely needs a shade of some kind on it too, unless I get a smaller LED that is flush fit to the lower cup on the headset. Cable will be routed inside the frame though.

[​IMG]

Also on my list of jobs is sort the sofitt panelling and the gutter work. Wood is fine but needs re painting and the gutter work is just old and faded.

No real photos of progress its just going through binning stuff I need to work out the all important shelving space and bike storage position though.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  7. Cheapskate

The light reminds me of a lamp my mom had for her sewing machine. It was basically a U-bent tube that swiveled in a wall mount. The power cord ran through the tube so the lamp could be raised and lowered.

8. legoman

Progress update, no photos as I'm still in bed (weekend yay). Tip run was fine in the rain last week.
    Mother is going through a load of boxes condensing them down that's been a large hurdle to be honest as I had a load at my end so even measuring up was s pain.
    Waiting in a quote from another electrician, first came back at £195 but he can't do it till October, second I'm waiting on his quote he just needs a couple weeks rest as he's damaged a tendon in his hand but seemed way more knowledgeable.

Electrics layout. Two double sockets with usb above the work benches. One double socket above the wood bench obvious consumer unit with a delayed RCD one 4ft led baton light 2100lm at each end. Double light switch.
    Nothing fancy standard 24a sockets circuit 6a lighting circuit three way consumer panel third panel blank with the option to add in for ev car stuff if required.

Like I said no photos it's mainly me clearing up. If the second guy comes back an says he can do it in the next couple of weeks I'll just clean up an work what I can on the blank wall.
    I'll mock up some designs for aba long wall unit, all pen an paper no cad I'm afraid but could be some fun stuff in there none the less. I'll throw some ideas see if anyone has better ideas or feedback.

I have a couple ideas I can play with need to get some dimensions etc to see though. Hopefully more soon, progress will ramp up once the electrical works fine as currently I can't put shelves up etc as they'd have to come down to run cables up the wall so I don't want to have to go removing shelves or wall units an modify them I'd rather just wait an do the job after.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. legoman

Small update, put up the bike racks, the black plate left is actually a wheel hook, that likely needs moving but no hurry at the moment. Electrician is now booked.
    Now the bike rack is up I have a better idea of what I can build underneath, got some ideas I need to flesh out.

Apologies for the mess!

[​IMG]

10. Cheapskate

How much space do you have with the ceiling open? That's a lot of un-utilized area.

11. legoman

Not a huge amount its quite a shallow pitch, There is a plan when I panel the ceiling to put in a hatch for storage. But there is a notable bow in them so when I put in the partition I will have to tie in parts of it to the walls to prevent further sag. Anything up there will have to be light so as not to add undue stress to the eves.

12. legoman

Update time! Sparky has been an fitted some electrics. Means I can now crack on. Rotated a bench so rather than a C shape I now have a longer L which is more useable.

Bit of bad news while stowing my tool chest on the centre bench it actually bowed the wood with its weight so I'll have to keep an eye an replace if it gets too bad.

One terrible photo with the phone cameras wide angle lens. Only difference now is area area where the safety specs are now is my pillar drill, eventually the drawer units in that corner are going too as they will be part of a unit on the other wall, all 6ft of it.

[​IMG]

6ft unit in question is more precisely going to be 180cm long, 90cm high and 40cm deep. Depth is a restriction of the door as that is just about where the frame ends so I don't want to encroach on the entrance an create a trip hazard.

Its going to contain the two above mentioned drawer units, plus my actual tool chest. Also going to have plenty of storage and a pull out work shelf and hopefully some drawers too.
    Its going to be a challenge, I'll be having to over build one part to deal with a 60+Kg tool chest and accommodate the opening top. have a pull out work shelf and somehow shoehorn in a small bench vise, small as in 3" jaw but it weighs in at 14kg!

So it has to have all of these plus storage, I recently picked up some new power tools which will definitely be getting used for this project. Nail gun is going to be a lot of fun and make some of the pinning far easier.

Also got a host of smaller projects starting mainly storage related so as its part of the workshop I'll be detailing them too. But for now the big step forward is I have power and light!

MLyons, The_Crapman and AllXFrag like this.
  13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Irwin easy-out/bolt remover set?

14. legoman

It is yes, slowly corralling all the small sets I have like this, I saw my set of wood drill bits with countersinks too.
    Not sure yet where exactly they will go but I'll get there

15. Cheapskate

Bow in desk: You don't want stuff rolling OFF the counter, right? It's far better to have a sag in the middle so you don't lose stuff. :thumb:

16. legoman

Yeah the bow I guess helps, it does mean the top draws are very out of whack now, but I'll live with it for now, replacing the top is six bolts so not too bad.

I have been working in the back ground on the workshop. Lots of sorting tidying an binning etc. The other half of the garage was getting worse so focused on clearing that. But we have some progress.

First up, Toolbox storage, totally overbuild for the purpose so its ideal

[​IMG][

Really overbuilt no real fancy wood work going on here 2X3 timber frame a couple of random bits for bracing and a bunch of 5X60 screws

Basic structure, nothing fancy I can sit on either the front or rear beam an it will take my weight which is about 80Kg, like I said, over built!

[​IMG]

Walls filled up, mainly shelving, knocked up a unit from some random furniture board I found, mother seems to hoard this stuff as you'll see with up coming projects, saves me some pennies so I can't moan

[​IMG]

Couple bits to go up, but will now start focusing on making the units for the other side, one will be super simple, just a low box basically, the other is where I get to have some fun pretty simple carcass, but we will have...

• Pull out work area
    • drawers
    • a folding up top
    • adjustable shelving
    • Lighting!
    So this should be fun, about, 1.2m long, 470mm deep an any other funky ideas I can shoe horn in. I don't really do CAD SketchUp etc but I may upload the hand drawn design once I get it finalised, or just start building an do a load of photos, who knows!

Arboreal and ElThomsono like this.
  17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

This is looking very good. I'm trying to sort out a garage full of junk, with not enough storage for the good stuff. Being ruthless with bits of wood that might come in handy has helped. Unfortunately I'm hampered by a 2.1m ceiling, it doesn't overly affect the storage space but it's a pain not being able to maneuver a 4x2.

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Looking good @legoman.
    Like @ElThomsono, I'm battling with a stuffed garage. Heck, I had an MG Midget in there 18 years ago, and now you can barely walk down the middle.

Ruthless with potentially useful wood will have to come into play.
    Departed bunny's hutch sold on Gumtree yesterday, so I now have room for 140mm wide workbench, ex
    Lush shop display. Thankfully it doesn't reek of their wares any more....

My ceiling is low too, and the tallest bit is at the up & over door end where I won't be working. I have been able to pop the double extension ladder up under the rafters, which has freed up space.

Next job is to unearth a massively buried Black n Decker Workmate that's in need of renovation. 2 kayaks to move, a paddle board to deflate and roll up and a 1100cc MG Midget engine to get past; as you do.

Oh, and the 'just in case' 50+ inch TV box to get rid of, alongside the 100s of carrier bags from 2020 supermarket deliveries. A flyby to the bag collection point at Castle Lane Tesco is well overdue.

Maybe next week if I remember when I do the click and collect.

#Bomogaragetidyingunited

19. legoman

140mm wide workbench :eek:

@ElThomsono, similar issue, my ceiling height is 2.5M, length of wood is 2.4.M light fittings come down 10cm, thank god they are plastic body, reminds me going to chuck some boarding up on said ceiling once cleared, pesky spiders dropping are annoying me.

20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Yep, it's tight for space in there ;).

Raspberry Pi service centre only I fear...

OK, maybe 1400mm may make more sense, along with proof reading my posts