1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Recommend me some good co-op games...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 2 Jul 2020.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hi all,

Since I'm currently...unbusy and my brother's on furlough, and Steam is doing its summer sale, he's particularly keen to play together. We're particularly keen to play games that actually have a campaign of sorts - for example, we loved Deadspace 3 but aren't fond of L4D (one of my least favourite games). We've also played Portal 2: great fun!

So far we're considering:
    • Borderlands 3: my brother wants to wait until all the DLC is released, and would have to buy it.
    • Wolfenstein Youngblood: has an advantage in that only one person has to own the game to play together.
    • FarCry 5: we'd both have to buy it, plus I didn't bother playing much of FarCry 4 as I've played FarCry 3 and it was more of the same.
    • Gears of War: I'm personally keen for this, but my brother doesn't like the fact it's a bit 'dumb and macho'.
    I'd be more swayed towards 3D AA titles, though my brother's willing to look at indie stuff. To give an idea of the perfect co-op game - if we could play Fallout 4 together, that'd be AWESOME. This would naturally lead on to Fallout 76, but we don't hear good things about it.

I'd be interested in hearing people's views on the games above, as well as other recommendations.

2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

You’ve only mentioned shooters, but there are some real crackers you can play on the same computer if you have a controller or two:
    Human: Fall Flat is glorious fun, moreso than Portal IMO
    Terraria too
    Neither of them have much in terms of story however. If you want to try a pure RPG then Divinity: Original Sin is great fun.

FYI Far Cry 5 feels like more of Far Cry 3 too. It isn’t bad though.

Pete J likes this.
  3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Magicka - though it does have a few crash issues
    Dying Light
    Borderlands 1+2 (since you mentioned 3, dunno if you've done them or not)
    Grim Dawn/Titan Quest/Torchlight 2/Diablo

Possibly
    halo - not played, pretty sure they have co-op and pretty sure it's story based
    DMC 5 - as above
    Dead Island - Dying Light is much better IMO
    Terraria - no story but fun
    The Forest - don't remember a story so to say, IIRC there are notes left about and a general theme, find the kid

Pete J likes this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@Vault-Tec I need your advice, as I know you're a massive Fallout fan!

My friend and I are considering Fallout 76 for a coop game to play. We just want something that can give us a decent few hours, with a storyline we can complete. Bearing in mind it's 50% off at the moment, is it worth it? Also, is the base game decent enough, or are the add ons and monthly subscriptions necessary?

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I didn't know the Co-op published games.

I'll get my coat...

Pete J likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Not worth it. It's absolutely terrible mate.

The best of the best for me were.. FC5, FC New Dawn, Dead Island Definitive (that's a great laugh). Dead Island Riptide Definitive, Gears 5, Gears 4, All of the Borderlands (2 being the best) Portal 2, Diablo 3, A Way Out (not the best but a real laugh)

Honorable mentions.

The Division, Division 2 and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands. Oh and COD BLOPS III had a terrible story but the action was great fun.

Pete J likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Avoid Youngblood. It's really stupid and annoying.

If you both liked Fallout then get Dead Island Definitive. It's a RPG. It's nowhere near as good as FO3 as an RPG *but* it is miles better than FO76, has much better graphics, has the best weapon modding system of any game I have ever played and is a complete riot.

Like I say, visually it's an absolute cracker and the laughs you will have taking zombies apart in all different manners is just hilarious.

Pete J likes this.
  8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm filing that under 'Dad jokes'. I'll save it for someone I want to have a brain aneurysm.

@Vault-Tec Roger roger. Gears 5 is our next one to play - might actually take a break from FC5 as it's DAMN MASSIVE. Youngblood was...we had fun, but it could've been SO GOOD. Also had constant disconnection issues, but that may have just been my internet connection (I still have to call up Talktalk to give them an earful).

9. Vault-Tec

If you think that's bad try FO76. It kicks more than a pissed off donkey. In fact, just getting on at all can take ages.

I just thought it was terribly childish tbh.

Gears 5 is absolutely stunning. A real feast for the eyes, so even if it's not your bag you should still get tons of fun out of it.

Pete J likes this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Co-op games I play with a friend;

Ghost recon Wildlands. The story is guff, and there are some repetitious side activities but it's been fun enough with another person to laugh and do dumb **** with.

Mud runner. It's very, very, slow. But fun in a weird way, although as with Wildlands I think it's the person you play with more than the game.

Arms 3. Complex and definitely would not be too of my list if my friend hadn't already dropped hundreds of hours into it and was happy setting up missions and the like.

Farcry 5 is.. I like it. I own it on pc and Xbox, have played through it two or three times, but last I heard about the coop stuff is that the host gets everything and the guest gets stuck with starter weapons because they can't unlock **** - for the entire game. Not sure if that ever got changed, though.

Pete J likes this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

It's not too bad. The person who is not the main player gets the majority of things, and we found a workaround for the weapons - I drop them and he picks them up :grin:.

liratheal likes this.
  12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ah, well that's better than I remember.

Although, having been playing the game again recently the base weapons aren't so bad. Although I do love my M60.

Pete J likes this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

liratheal likes this.
  14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

give indie stuff wise broforce a try