1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage 4 TB becomes a 2 TB and all datas are gone ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 13 Aug 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

I recently bought a Seagate Baracuda 4TB HDD, I use it to transfer the datas from the Download folder of my M2 SSD, mostly movies, videos, and music.
    First time I ran it, I did format it in GPT to have the 4TB in a single partition.
    Until today, I used it with an external drive enclosure, plugging it via USB when necessary to backup files, but as I had some free sata ports on this MB, I decided to plug it permanently as a secondary drive.
    I did so, and the computer started normally, and my 4TB was visible with all the datas...but suddenly, a message appeared mentioning disk issues to fix, and a restart was required...so I did it :eyebrow:
    But now, in Windows explorer, my drive appears as a 2TB, and all the datas are gone :duh:
    In PC managment, disk manager shows the disk with an active partition of almost 2TB, and another unallocated space of 2TB....WTF :wallbash:...Where are my datas ???
    Honestly, I know some about data recovery but this particular issue never happened to me and this time, I don't know what to do to get it back :waah:
    Any ideas?

Last edited: 13 Aug 2020
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Step 1, unplug it. This will minimise data loss

3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for such a fast reply, well, this is the first thing I've done, and then I replaced it into the external enclosure and plugged it like before, via USB...of course the result was the same :miffed:
    I am actually running Easeus data recovery, 255 GB of lost datas are already listed, but the scan requires almost 5 hours... it says :sad:
    may be I should wait and try to save it this way, before doing anything else :worried:

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Sounds like you're already on step 2 then.
    Just make sure you've got another drive to copy the data to once it's discovered it (as you can't write it back to the same drive)

kim likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

FYI: NEVER leave a usb drive plugged in during an update. Win 10 has conveniently bricked five USB sticks on me.
    (You'd think I'd remember that by now. - Lost one last week.)

kim likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for passing by Cheapskate :grin:, always a pleasure, and I should say, "I will remember your advice", but the truth is, (and I don't boast about it here), but I had sooo many issues with updates under Windows 10, that I totally stopped it with the help of a little soft called StopWinUpdates :naughty: :worried::worried:
    ... sorry for your lost sticks, I am also going through a bad streak of "loss of data" those last months, I know how it can be stressing so I empathize :grr:

A big thank to you @saspro , it's really great to have someone who cares when posting our mishaps, very appreciated :thumb: ...Yes, I have another 2TB empty but that's my last unwritten drive :rollingeyes:
    Actually, Easeus found almost a TB of lost datas wich is pretty encouraging, but the scan countdown still displays 4 hours remaining time...so I will know more tomorow :cooldude:
    Thank you to all for help and comments

Arboreal likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Just seen this @kim , hopefully it keeps finding more of your data even if it does take its time in doing so.

Let us know how it goes, fingers crossed :thumb:

kim likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

Good evening @adidan :grin:, that's so cool to have comments like this :rock: it feels good to have some support ... well, yes, Easeus is great but it takes ages :hehe:, for sure I will update the thread :thumb:

adidan likes this.
  9. adidan

Well we all know the pain of thinking or actually losing data.

Hope the recovery gods are on your side :happy:

kim likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

May they be yes...:grin:
    :grr: especially as I lost already a 3TB of precious datas 3 months ago and Easeus managed to save only the half of it :sigh:

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good Luck Kim, I'm watching with fingers crossed...
    Remember you should be recovering TO of data! Those nasty English TB may not be the same.;)

kim likes this.
  12. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for your support Arboreal :grin: :rock:that's great :thumb:
    :jawdrop::hehe: you're kidding me ? :grin: I made the effort to write TB for a better understanding of english readers, and remembering our late co-member Jeff Hine's comment :p: :hehe:

Arboreal likes this.
  13. adidan

I wonder why you're having such bad luck? :sigh:

14. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah :oldconfused:, that's what I am wondering :miffed:, fact is, I am hoarding an insane amount of datas, I have backups for a large part of it, and it turns out that it is always with the drives that aren't backup, where the loss of datas happen :eyebrow::waah::wallbash:

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

It is always the drives that aren't backed up that decide to cause problems.

The must know :worried:

kim likes this.
  16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Vive La Difference! Is nice to remind us Brits sometimes that our language isn't 100% universal :lol:

kim and adidan like this.
  17. kim

kim hardware addict

:grin: I ought to know... and BTW, you also learned me my mistake :worried: the drives that aren't BACKED up and not backup like I wrote, thanks for that too, l hate to make mistakes :grin:

18. adidan

Well I wrote 'the' instead of 'they' so I have no room to comment :grin:

kim likes this.
  19. adidan

Mate, it's not even universal in our own country :lol:

kim and Arboreal like this.
  20. kim

kim hardware addict

You may be right, but from my point of view, being a member of an English language site, requires to express yourself properly, and thank god I was not bad in english, because there is nothing compared to Bittech in France :grin: