1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Another option is a tablet, as most are waterproof and a bluetooth keyboard :)

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I do have a waterproof Sony Xperia Tablet, from back in the day. Pretty slow these days, though - and this way I also have a Chrome OS device to test stuff on.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Going for the liquid-immersion overclock eh?

Byron C likes this.
  4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A bottle of Knob Creek. Trying to find out why so many people tell me that bourbon is "at least as good" as scotch. So far, I'm not convinced. But at least it's not expensive.

Doctor Sleep on BluRay. As an avid Stephen King reader and having enjoyed both The Shining versions (book and movie) and the Doc Sleep book I thought why not give it a try?

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Because, sod it I miss induction noise. (induction kit, also not my car I need to install it)

[​IMG]

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You need an old Alfa with a pair of big, twin-choke Webers.:grin:

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I took the best part of a year alternating between scotch & bourbon, I only drink bourbon now

8. perplekks45

Interesting. I had a couple of glasses and it's quite okay, way better than Jackie or Jimmy. But so far I can't see this replacing scotch.

Time will tell.

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

What I've done is to wrap the exhaust tube in sheets of the insulated foil (suggested by the Aircon supplier) used for loft insulation. I got mine from Homebase and it's the quilted type. Don't use the really cheap stuff as it disintegrates within a year or so.

The tube temps can easily get up to 45ºC+. With the foil it's a degree or so above ambient.

EDIT: Gorilla Tape does an excellent job of sealing the foil to the back of the aircon. A loose, rather than a tight, fit of the foil to the tube seems to help. I use a combination of Gorilla tape and paracord to hold the foil in place on the tube.

The aluminium tape that's normally used to hold the insulation foil in place in lofts is an excellent and lasting way to repair any damage to the tube as they tend to split after a year or so if constantly moved.

It helps if you can rig up a permanent drain for the extracted water particularly if it's humid as it can be really annoying to go back into a room after the water level triggers the cut out and find the room has heated up again.

Don't switch it off immediately you've finished with it. Let it run for 30 minutes or so with just the basic air extraction (increase the cutout temp to well above ambient) to remove all the heat from the condenser otherwise it's released into the room and can make it hotten than when you started in 20 minutes or less.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2020
    Arboreal and mrlongbeard like this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

11. perplekks45

His bit about "cultural appropriation" is both true and hilarious. He might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I love him for being the opposite of politically correct most of the time.

Pete J likes this.
  12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Big boi batteries

[​IMG]

I have designs on using a 36v mower at the new house and I already hate mowing enough without the swaperoos that my current trove of 3ah batteries would likely entail.

Yaka likes this.
  13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Aye, the big Makita batteries are a wonderful thing.

I was in the market for a multi-battery charger, but I realised I could just buy a couple of the big buggers and rotate. Even the 5Ah ones are pretty long lived.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Damn you Welshy, DAMN YOU !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than a bit of dust it looks pretty mint. BTW, if you want any of the internal parts (free) then LMK, as I do believe mine is better than yours :D

Mine, however, is going under the knife to be my new NAS.

I also can't believe what I paid for it. £30. £30 for a case like that :O I feel like I have Roshambo'd the poor sod.

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Astroturf. Problem solved.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not big enough for a sit on mower?

You're starting to disappoint :happy:

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yeah... I found mower calculators and picked out my big chonky ride-on early on, as initially thought some of the places out in the countryside with 3+ acres was a good thing, but after finding that for all of them the bulk was classed as agricultural land (some with a shockingly small curtilege), and therefore comes with caveats around what you can do with it, and technically whether you can even mow/maintain it, it quickly fell in the list of wants.

I think we've managed to settle on the perfect size of garden for us, with up to 1/4 acre of actual lawn to mow. Not big gardeny people, just wanted outdoor space to A) relax/eat/drink/be merry in an outdoor extension to the living space (like our postage-stamp-suburbia garden today) plus B) for Small_Tad to run around, kick balls, play hockey and so on and not feel penned in quite so much. This has a closed courtyard for A, and the open garden for B.

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Oooooooooooooooohhhh, shiny! Mirror Drive Door Mac G4. Tasty. Sharpen your cutters to get a PC in there

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That is so much better than mine....! :grin:

I'm not sure what can be transplanted though TBH. That's a Mirror Drive Door (MDD) model, and I have a Quicksilver... Let me know what's left over!

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

No worries dude :) You should be able to use the RAM?

I bought the donor patient just the noo.

[​IMG]

CPU: Intel i5 3470

Speed: 3.2Ghz

RAM: 8GB

HDD : N/A

Optical Drive: CD/Rom

Cost me £50. What I liked about it was that it is SFF, has a PSU (I can always hook up another for the drives but it will probably get four SSDs out of the Alienware) and the board looks like this.

[​IMG]

So she is small, but has two PCIE slots (RAID card? sound card maybe for later on?).

And then I got the bzzzppp. You know? that sound as you drag a needle across a record. Yup, it's BTX flipperoo.

However. Because the board has OBG I can simply get something like this.

[​IMG]

And basically mount the board however I want. Obviously a RAID card does not need to break out at the back at all, and the sound card is easily sorted. I have a X1 PCIE ribbon that cost me nearly £30 that was not long enough for the Lian Li, but would be perfect for this. So in theory I could mount that pretty much wherever I liked.

What's odd is that I have quite a few offcuts of grey acrylic left over from the Alienware mod, but I never threw it out.

[​IMG]

And trust me, I always throw that stuff out.

So far I have spent less than a single bay Synology NAS thing, and I can fit about 8 hard drives in it. Even more if I go SSD.

Byron C likes this.