1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So basically this disease is now here forever and vaccination is probably going to become and annual thing added into the flu jab.

Unless of course the ENTIRE WORLD can be made to co-operate long enough to vaccinate around 90% of the population in the space of a few months...

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

or it mutates into something [relatively] harmless like the other coronaviruses out there [though it could always become more virulent and nasty too]

3. oscy

oscy Modder

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@oscy Who's the guy and (presumably) his daughter bottom right?

5. oscy

oscy Modder

His name's Bob and his son is Kratos II.

The father is a terrorist and the son is trying to take our jobs.

As you can see by their skin colour, they're less morally sound and more dangerous than any white guy, especially the one in the other corner.

Nexxo, enbydee and Anfield like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A bit of Googling and I've found the story.

Yup, definitely more dangerous than the guy who for all intents and purposes made Brexxit a reality for the sake of seeing if it could be done.

:sad:

7. RedFlames

HMG have found their scapegoat -

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Last edited: 15 Aug 2020
  9. RedFlames

What could go right [in HMG's eyes] is everyone talks about this instead of the catastrofuck that is the A-Level and soon to be GCSE results...

...or they sneak this **** out whilst everyone's still angry at that, probably win win from cumsatin's point of view.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Thank god I'm playing life on game journalist difficulty rather than having kids (and having to understand the UK education system).

Edit:
    If you fancy suicide by brain aneurysm here is the 319 page pdf the Gov released on the whole algorithm predicted grades BS:
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...fications_in_summer_2020_-_interim_report.pdf

(while I'd love to point and laugh at some of the flaws I can't, it is a Grayling of such epic proportions that it would be like shooting fish in a barrel even by my low standards for mocking Tories)

Last edited: 16 Aug 2020
  11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I guess I'm going to be ultra cynical and say the whole thing is deliberate to draw attention away from the continuing Covid clusterfrack and the gutting/rearranging of Public Health England and the continual failure of Track'n'trace.

It's the Trump school of crisis management, draw attention away from a crisis by creating a noisier but less important crisis. The whole predicted vs actual grades thing can be solved at the click of a mouse, they can't solve Covid that way, it's too convenient. Even if it wasn't that simple the Universiites will already be figuring out ways to accept the students they were excpecting to accept, otherwise they've got no budget for next year.

I even think the poor areas = lower grades part is deliberate, don't want to be accidently denting the egos of any party donor's heirs.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Posting because I can:

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

sTr0AO9cmr.png

I'd go with:
    They simply forgot to count potentially Tory voting older relatives of the victims when they guessed the consequences.

14. RedFlames

It's the Boris school of governance. See disaster coming, do nothing to stop it, go on holiday when disaster hits.

...just watch, the same thing will happen in January when brexit brexits all over the place.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And finally the u-turn is official in England as well, sprogs of the rich get to keep their algo inflated grades though, so business as usual.:p

16. RedFlames

And if you were a pleb who did a BTEC or similar rather than a-levels, you're still ****ed

17. RedFlames

looks like they u-turned on the cap on uni places too -

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Now he just needs to u-turn on the u-turn from his sacking...

19. RedFlames

Sacking, this calls for a promotion! [Or at least it typically does with this lot].

Unless he's done a Grayling and ****ed it so spectacularly he can't even get fired without cocking it up.

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Having a bit of inside information for reasons, I believe it was a legit case of a mathematically sound normalising algorithm implemented by neckbeards and at not point did a human look at it and think "hmmmm, maybe how this actually works might not be cricket"

The backtracking is a problem though... universities had already worked out individually how they're going to work things out to lock in places and filled allocations (and then some), in most cases taking into account the stupidity of the algorithm and looking at predicted grades and proven results previously anyway. This spanner in the works blows up the numbers way too high. It's not about caps, it's about the physical capabilities of the respective courses to actually teach the number of students in a competent fashion.