1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other CEX voucher and GPU?

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 16 Aug 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm selling a few things to CEX because they all old and it's easier.
    • Apple iPhone 7 128GB Black - £130.00 / £157.00
    • Apple MacBook Air 6,2/i5-4250U/4GB Ram/256GB SSD/13" - £290.00 / £350.00
    I'm also planning on upgrading to a 2060 when the 3xxx cards drop. Would I be better off taking the trade-in value and getting a 2060 from CEX later, or take cash and buy from someone upgrading here? I don't want deal with selling these on eBay and GAME said they don't want any more iPhone 7. I went to ask a few questions yesterday, my first time going into a CEX.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think CEX are a bit on the expensive side for GPUs, but you lose a significant amount of your trade-in if you opt for money instead of their in-store credit. Basically, if you're intent on selling to them, you're kinda tied to buying from them, if you don't want to take a hit.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Will anywhere else give a better price for the items?

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You could get more money elsewhere by selling privately and, iirc CEX's stated prices paid are dependent on assessed condition once they've received it.

That may have changed - it's been a long time.

I suppose it's less hassle through CEX, but you do take a hit on price paid and prices of purchases.

silk186 likes this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But do remember you also get a two-year warranty, which coupled with the extra you get by trading for vouchers instead of cash may balance things out.

silk186 likes this.
  6. silk186

silk186 Derp

Is it a good 2 year warranty? I don't have to sell through CEX, but I'm not sure where else I can easily sell it and how much more I would get.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Never had to claim, so I have no first-hand experience. TrustPilot suggests they're on the up-and-up, but Reviews.io says otherwise - including one guy who says they wriggled out of the two-year warranty on a faulty MacBook and he had to have it repaired at his own cost.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

CEX generally have inflated prices for items like consoles, games, and popular/common components.

If you look off the beaten trail though, things that are more difficult for the lay-person to value can often be really cheap, combined with the vouchers I've had a fair few bargains.

This doesn't help you with your GPU, but maybe worth hanging onto the vouchers for a rainy day and just shopping around for your 2060 as and when. The vouchers have no expiration, assuming CEX doesn't go under.

silk186 likes this.
  9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Bit of a thread revive but remember this post from last year, just to add I had to use CEX warranty this month, my daughters PC died, I traced it down to the 2400G I bought from CEX in 2019.

Sent it back and received a full refund, unfortunately at 2019 prices and not 2021 prices, so I had to pay and extra £50 for its also secondhand replacement a 3400G which whilst drop in and newer is an utter disappointment and actually doesn't perform any better, anyway, no matter, point is CEX warranty was great. and made the repair cheaper than it would have been.

IanW, Arboreal and adidan like this.
Tags: