1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Occulus to require Facebook Account

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RedFlames, 18 Aug 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not 1005 sure where to put this but -

From Oct 2020 for new users, January 2023 for existing users, Oculus will require a Facebook account.

...tbh been expecting this from the moment FB bought Oculus.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

How is this going to work in regions that block FB?

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

VPN and generic account name like John7546548968546, just saying.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

There are other VR options out there for those of us who don't trust Facebook, just sayin'.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

China is a pretty big market, especially as China has VR arcades (at least it looked like one from the outside), VR rides in parks and VR gaming in arcades (sort of).
    When I first moved to China in 2008 most computers were low end (sub £800), and many still ran XP. A few years later and I was seeing triple monitor setups with custom water loops on display.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Time to research how to convert my Elite Dangerous install back to 2D then.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Not hard to make a random facebook account that you dont use

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

This is why if I stick to PC gaming and want VR again, I will not be buying a Oculus unit and instead will go to a Vive unit.

I don't use Facebook and shouldn't be forced to even sign up to a dummy account just to use a piece of hardware.

Imagine if nVidia, Intel or AMD tried to pull this "oh you must have a facebook account to use your hardware" there would be outrage.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've not yet picked up a VR headset but this puts me off Oculus.

I know you could make up a FB account but would it then link into your Steam account? No idea how it currently/will work but it's my first question, based on no experience whatsoever.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Here's little ol' me, logged in with my old FB account that I rarely use, from day one of owning my Quest.

For stand alone hardware, I thought going through FB account would be par for course. You need an Apple account for iPhones, a Google account for Android. All standalone hardware came after FB acquisition.

For PC based Rift however. I'm on the fence. Is it possible to not have a Steam account to use original Vive or Index?

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As someone using both an Android and an Apple device without being signed into either service, I beg to differ.

wyx087 likes this.
  12. wyx087

How do you download apps on the Apple devices?
    I can understand you can get away by sideloading on Android.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I suspect I'm something of an edge case on the Apple front - Work mandated that I have an iPhone as my work phone (Apparently I can't just put the work sim in my dual sim Android because device management - Device management that has yet to be installed..), so for me it is literally a phone. It does nothing else, I installed nothing else, and I have no need to either.

The battery lasts almost two weeks the way I "use" it. Use in quotation marks because I just kind of.. Tolerate its existence.

Dr. Coin and wyx087 like this.
  14. silk186

silk186 Derp

Many games require you to make a stupid account. I don't see an issue provided you can access FB in your county.
    That's why I have a steam, epic, ubi, rockstar, etc. account.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

None of those accounts are specifically designed to be found by the general public (like prospective employers, elderly relatives etc who may in some form judge you for playing games).

Social Media accounts (like FB) are an entirely different beast...
    Yes, you can protect yourself with a fake name and making sure you never post personal info, just more of a hassle.

16. adidan

Forgive my ignorance but will this not link the real/made up FB account to an actual real Steam account in some way?

17. wyx087

In settings, you can set everything to "Only me". My FB account has zero trace of me using a Quest.

adidan likes this.
  18. adidan

Ah ha, good to know.

Wonder if that will continue to be the case.

wyx087 likes this.
  19. wyx087

Let's hope so. If it changes, that's when I'll jump ship.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with standalone headset and wirelessly stream PCVR.

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yes you need an account to play games which I am fine with, but it's not a requirement for being able to actually use the pc though.

There is no requirement either to have a Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA etc etc account in order to run the hardware in your machine.

All this is doing is forcing you to have a Social Media account in order to use hardware that you have purchased, and if you don't have one you are not going to be able to use it.

Frankly this to me is all about being able to target you with specific adverts whilst gaming, and money grabbing by selling your "Habits" to companies.

How would you feel if you were let's say browsing facebook and looked at a post about vodka, beef or veg etc and then the next time you play a game, you get little advert's popping up about vodka etc?

How would you feel if AMD or Intel said that you have to have a facebook account in order to use a cpu and then if they do not agree with what you are posting on facebook, then they will ban you from using the cpu?

Ready Player One showed this sort of thing and people I know said it would never happen, they wouldn't advertise to you whilst playing games, but oh boy look how stupid they look now.

Oculus or Facebook is also going to be able to stop you using the device and ban people because they do not "approve" of what has been posted on there own social media pages, again why should what I say on social media stop me playing a game?

Think he is right or wrong but people were banned or threatened with being banned because they followed Tommy Robinson on Facebook, why should that matter for being able to use a piece of gaming hardware??

There was also people banned for posting a Guardian article showing "Aboriginal Men in chains" and later restored the accounts because it was a "Mistake" but, that would mean that if this was in now those people would also be banned from using a Oculus device.

There should be no requirement to have a social media account ever in order to use a piece of pc gaming hardware.

wyx087 and adidan like this.