1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yeah, it’s personal preference really, and I do have a bit of a sub getting for passive.

Im not a fan of the conventional layout on the M1

2. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

I went for black, since I have all black hardware (including noctua chromax fans). I agree the white looks nice though, but would get triggered by the contrast. Minimalism not maximalism.

I manage the colour by some subtle rgb strips and a commander pro, hopefully it all fits in the case.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2020
  3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

No, I've got an Asrock ITX server board with a Haswell Xeon and 16GB ECC RAM. Perfect combination for a small homebrew NAS/storage server.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I may have accidentally bought the case as well now...

Arboreal and adidan like this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ooh, a rack board? Noice.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Heretic! I'll fetch the matches... Errr wait, if you hadn't got rid of yours, I wouldn't have had an affordable M1 to buy :confused:

I didn't buy the industrial 1150 ITX board in the end, I didn't like the idea of potentially 'same day service' on booting...

I did buy a nice retro GA H81N ready to go with and i3 and 8GB of DDR3.
    Smasung Evo mSATA boot drive and WiFi card fitted, also swapped out the RAM for some old friends. Lovely to have the dear old pre unicorn DDR3 Ballistix Tactical Tracers on the go again. Blue or orange only and some nice patterns.
    I even had the software on a stick still; handy as the Crucial web site seems to have deleted it!

All I need to do now is test the Flex ATX PSU, then I can do the v0.9 build in the new case.

Not looking forward to working with a PCIe riser, but that's a new adventure

Goatee and David like this.
  7. David

Is this an aesthetic preference for you or is it a performance/temp/noise issue?

I liked the idea of accommodating a chunky card in a small case, if needs be - not something really addressed in sandwich style cases until the T1 arrived.

In other news: I have a sickening feeling that my GPU block is going to arrive sometime next week, when I'm 300 miles from home, and the courier will wedge it behind the recycling bin and stuff a card through the door.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I think its the waste of space, its pretty inefficient, compared to the back to back nature of the sandwich style.

9. David

There shouldn't be a great deal of wasted space in mine, when I'm done. We shall see.

I am wondering about the Tygon tubing though - it looks like it could kink quite easily. I shall have to be careful with the tubing runs.

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

This one.
    I've never made the most of it (or most of the hardware I have).

Arboreal likes this.
  11. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Nice board, I need something for my playing NAS so it can become the main one, the cooling in the qnas case and adding an HBA makes it run a little too warm for my liking. My loft gets really hot and I have had the Gen 8 running in full fan mode but drives still hitting 45C!

12. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I had a NAS previously based on this board and InWin MS04 before but I then went with the DS380 so I could use 8 drives. I think the InWin case is better match for this board considering the number of SATA ports (had to use an add-in card fit the DS380). I just need to decide on the drives and software now.

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

FWIW currently loving unraid!

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I've used it before during the trial period and I liked it a lot. I ended up using proxmox instead and running a FreeNAS VM with hardware passthrough on the drives. I did it because I could, no other reason. Anyway, this isn't the thread for that.

Back on the ITX train, Aorus B450I arrived today and need to get a CPU and case now. Already got 512GB SSD and 16GB ram so may as well complete the build. I'm thinking gaming rig for the living room so 3300X or 3600?

Arboreal likes this.
  15. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

3300X is supposed to be a mini beast

Arboreal likes this.
  16. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Yeah but it's hard to find at the moment.

17. Arboreal

Fook me fellas, that was tight....Flex ATX and wiring shoehorned in and the rest test crammed.

H81N with i3 4130 plus 8GB DDR3 and 240GB mSATA
    Super hacked custom GTX 1050Ti courtesy of @Goatee and Noctua Redux

I have never had to do such extreme wire placement to get a 24 pin connector to fit in place. cablegami is go.
    The riser barely fits and needs putting in properly on the actual build. The last 2 days test has been like packing your suitcase then having to sit on the top of it to get it closed.

It's running 3D Mark Night Raid very nicely, better than the i5 6500 and 1050 Ti, so something was amiss there before it conked out

The Aorus B450i would my choice of board if I had the money at the moment, and probably a 3100 to get started as it's not my main rig.

David and adidan like this.
  18. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Share with us some dirty pics please.

adidan likes this.
  19. David

Pics or it was a dude you're making it up.

20. Arboreal

Pics are part of the plan, I'm going to do a build log. Hopefully I can get it off the ground this weekend

Just to whet your appetite, this is a potato shot of how tight the 24 pin cabling is to the front panel...

IMG-20200820-WA0017.jpeg

Vault-Tec, David and Goatee like this.