1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Is your AIO installed correctly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 23 Aug 2020.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Just saw this video from Gamers nexus and it raises an interesting problem that I hadn't heard about before.

Checked mine and the radiator tubes were at the top (sub optimal) because it was neater. But some configs could just plain starve the pump of coolant.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I watched this video late last night and it made me sad as I don't think radiator size 280mm or tube length will allow for any other configuration.
    I think I tried to run it the other way but the GPU is in the way.

[​IMG]

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's fine, the pump isn't the highest point, so will always have water. It'll take an age for enough permeation to cause problems. If you notice any constant gurgling or anything, then maybe switch to it in the roof (if you can), or by that point you probably won't mind having a bash at topping it up or splicing a res in.

Or just replacing it.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

That's good to know. I didn't find the information super clear in his video. Rad on top is better than rad on bottom of case - this is pretty clear.
    Rad on front of case no so much. Don't put rad lower than needed. But what about pump hose placement? is it better if I rotate the pump or make the hose lower (buy rotating the pump).
    I was also not that clear on the differences between pump in rad vs pump in CPU backplate (I'm sure this could be worded better).
    Give the hose length and that they can't be replaced, most cases don't give many mounting options with a discrete GPU.
    In my memory, I did want to mount the radiator the other way, but it wasn't possible with the GPU installed. I don't really want to pull my case apart to confirm.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think if you rotated it 90 clockwise so that at ports are at the top, this would help ensure air didn't get trapped in the pump, which is part of the issue. But I'd only change it if you notice problems.

silk186 likes this.
  6. silk186

silk186 Derp

When I next pull my case out, probably a GPU upgrade I will rotate the pump and re-TIM. At least I would need to mess around with any fans.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

No, but like many I can't flip the rad over because the hoses are not long enough.

If it fails then I will RMA it.

Tags: