1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Project Power: Garbage. Did neither the Limitless nor Narcos angle well so was just a paycheque for Jamie Foxx and Joseph Gordon Loveme pls. I don't universally hate garbage though and was paced well by the algorithm that writes these things so it gets half a bag from me.

Contagion: clearly well researched and interesting view on how the consulted scientists thought a pandemic would be handled in the US. Was drunk so some of the early people drama perhaps didn't hit like it was meant to but carried me through
    R0.7/1

Greed: Steve Coogan at his greasiest in this Richard Green spoof/doc. Oddly it itself feels a bit like an excuse for the cast to holiday in the med on expenses, and the credit roll's social justice element feels largely detached from all but a single thread of the film's narrative. "A-hole makes money" is hardly the grand reveal and it does it in less interesting ways than say Wolf of Wall Street.
    3/5 lion paws.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Watched this last night, really disappointed. Between a favourable AVF review and a general bro crush on Jamie Foxx I had high hopes - totally unfulfilled. It was "fine", as you say algorithmic miscellaneous action, but very disappointed.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ditto. Within the first five minutes you could tell the story was going to be garbage... at least with Limitless there's some substance to how the pill works, but with Project Power it's a big fat "just because". Why does the effect last for exactly five minutes? Just because.

Ugh... some really nice visuals but a truly awful, awful movie IMO.

enbydee likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What Happened To Monday? - 7/10

Jesus. That was depressing.

I enjoyed it though.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  5. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Upgrade - Some suuuper clunky opening exposition actually ended in an unexpected way, albeit a little bit borrowed from a fave film of mine. Hit the action notes I was looking for but felt some of the characters were underdeveloped to claim any rewatchability. I kinda don't want to give it an 8 as the start makes it feel like less than an undergrad project (writing this I actually recall thinking "who writes this ****?"), and there wasn't much in directorial style to up the art level so will have to stick to 7/10.

6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Snowpiercer.
    A smidge depressing but watchable.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if you liked Gran Torino I recommend checking out Harry Brown.

Vault-Tec and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Wonder Woman: Wonder?/10

God that was hard work to watch. I wanted to like it but... meh.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh yeah seen that tons of times :)

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Tenet

Damn, I need to watch that again.

A few more times

:lol:

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Venom: A Love Story/10

That is, indeed, a film that exists.

Mallrats: Snootchies/Bootchies

Believe it or not, I hadn't seen it before. It was everything I expected, but that Magic Eye picture is *not* a sailboat. 0/10, unwatchable.

Added bonus: the common thread betwix the two films? They both had Stan Lee in 'em.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Fun fact:- As it's set in the mid-1990's, Stan's cameo in Captain Marvel has him rehearsing his part in Mallrats on the train as she walks past him.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Aaaah so it's good? I'm really keen to go see it... might even go this coming week.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I enjoyed it, but I have questions. It's quite convoluted so I've probably missed things that, on reflection, feel like there were one or two heefing plot holes.

I'd happily sit through it again though, so it's no hardship. Mind you, my boys said they'd like to see it again too, so the hardship might be on my wallet.

LennyRhys likes this.
  15. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

One review suggested Tenet's dialogue audio was a bit weak which is one of my pet peeves so I'm not sure I'll be rushing to the cinema for it.

Watched Venom last night. Not exactly a classic but entertaining.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Gemini Man - 5/10
    First 45 minutes are allright, goes straight downhill from there.

17. liratheal

Babysitter Killer Queen - 7/10

I mean.. I'm not sure what I just watched but it was fun in its own weird way.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The Joker: Even the good lady liked it/10

We both found it a good watch, even when one of us has never seen a Batman movie. A good stand alone evolution of someone beaten up by an awful life becoming awful himself. Fun film :happy:

Terminator Dark Fate: So where does Daenerys fit into this timeline?/10

Yeah it's a Terminator film, you know what to expect.

19. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

The film makers said that Any Terminator film after the 2nd one is superseded by Dark Fate which makes them non-canon and you can avoid.

IanW and adidan like this.
  20. liratheal

Enola Holmes - ?????/10

EUGH. Okay, I wasn't super enthused by the film as a concept, but the lady wanted to watch it so we did. Firstly, I was disappointed to find that Cavil is in it for about as long as a brief sneeze, but I suppose it'd just be Sherlock if he was in it.

The biggest problem, IMO, is how it starts off as a detective thing, and then whoever was writing the story had a stroke and decided that a woman can't possibly be a lead without a love story arc, and one is shoehorned in so hard that the titular character completely forgets what she was doing and focuses on this random boys ******** instead.

I'm not against female leads having romance arcs, I am against shoehorning one in so unnecessarily that it breaks the flow of the film, and the relevance to the supposed plot is contrived ******** for the sake of making people forget how ****ing dumb it was to start with.