1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Thirteenth Monkey – Is that Steampunk?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Flux, 17 Aug 2020.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Well trust the English language to allow completely opposite interpretations of a single statement.

Flux likes this.
  2. Flux

Flux Minimodder

New arrivals from far away China:
    [​IMG]

Steampunky Key Caps and a 5.5inch 1440*2560 pixel display. I am still waiting for a large fresnel lens. Can you see where I am going with this?

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Once you have the lens we should be able to see clearly :grin:

Flux likes this.
  4. Flux

Flux Minimodder

:hehe::hehe::hehe: I come here mostly for the puns. :grin:

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:duh:

Flux likes this.
  6. Flux

Flux Minimodder

Ok, so this is the plan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know, a nice rendering is pretty far away from a finished build, and I am still a little afraid of my own courage. And the idea to just build a case around leftover parts has gotten a little out of hand. But I think it is doable. A major concern is still getting 3d printed parts to look like metal.

The two bellows are driven by the monkey wheel and are meant to blow air through the Noctua NH-L9i processor cooler. I am aware that they will not move nearly as much air as a fan, i just hope it will be enough for basic tasks. This build obviously isn't about efficiency, I will be happy if it works at all.

One of the things that I remembered from first watching "Twelve Monkeys" is that in the dystopian future they seemed to have lost the ability to produce large screens and compensate for that with loupes. Rewatching the movie I found that to be not as prominent as I remembered. Do you know any other movies that follow that scheme?

7. kim

kim hardware addict

Awesome render... personally, this would remember me more about the computers like we can see in the movie Brazil from Terry Gillian

[​IMG]
    I mean the display system...:grin:

Last edited: 30 Aug 2020
    Flux likes this.
  8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Terry Gilliam likes magnifying glasses, apparently. I seem to recall some shots using them in Time Bandits too.
    The render is looking more like a concertina hybrid.

Flux likes this.
  9. Flux

Flux Minimodder

Right, Twelve Monkeys is by Terry Gilliam too. I have never watched Time Bandits, but I will, thanks!
    :grin: It kind of is!

10. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

wow, i looked at it and thought what a great job. then saw its a render. well then i am really curious to see you realise this one.
    good luck and keep the progress coming..

11. Aytos

Aytos Minimodder

I wonder if portable laser projector with some dimmed glass would give better results than small screen. Looking forward to your mod.

12. Flux

Flux Minimodder

Me too! Thanks!
    Cool idea! But the LCD is already here and looks stunning (2K), and I wanted to go for the Lens idea from the Terry Gilliam movies.

13. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Very curious to see how "metal" the 3d prints will turn out. Looking to do that myself too in the near future by 3d printing a sword. So I'll follow along closely!

14. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

i have tried a few spray chrome cans. they didnt really turn out like real chrome, even though the videos were very concincing. am curious whether you you found a good solution too. will be watching!

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Some quality ideas here, dude - impressive stuff.

Quick question as I have an issue with something I'm trying at the moment - how will you connect the screen to the GPU/graphics output? Also, how much/where did you get it if you don't mind?

16. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Fantastic renders there :thumb: Regarding smoothing out those prints as a first step towards making them look like metal, I discovered this recently:

I've not tried it myself yet, but looks promising if its not just a troll lol.

Tags: