1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

LTT did a good summary and breakdown of it all for anyone needing a catch up:

Who'd have thought the consoles would reduce GPU prices huh??

2. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Yeah I really don't feel these prices are that bad at all. The 3090 is only around £200 more than 2080Ti's are being sold at!

I am most definitely going to be getting one of these. After years of good fortune from AMD in the past, I was stung by years of irritating driver software and constant issues so I have been completely put off their GPUs now. CPUs, fine, I have a 1920X and it's been great so it's not a dislike of the company, just bad experiences.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Exchange rate at the minute is 0.75, which would convert to £450, £630 and _1350, so an increase in 20, 20 and 50 respectively. Not EXACTLY the base rate exchange prices, but not a 'rip off' either.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

So Lenovo appear to have leaked the 3070Ti, with 16GB of VRAM. OEM only? "Oh, we forgot to mention!"? Typo?

Well, I'll be holding fire for a few months at least (despite how much I'd like to get a 3080 on launch day) which will give everyone time to actually decide what SKUs exist or not.

5. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

call me when he figures out that using 2 sticks of ram in dual channel configuration is a good thing, every time I look at his channel he is doing something ignorant, and acting arrogant about it so I don't recommend

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

*raises hand*.

Mostly big Navi, but as soon as he started his waffle about 4k 60 and actually mentioned consoles the penny dropped. They are targeting the same, so as I said yesterday it was a pre emptive strike. I'm still getting the Xbox :)

7. Vault-Tec

BTW I found out why the CUDA cores and inaccurate spec guesses. They have the same amount of SMs as Turing, but two shaders (CUDA cores) per SM. That is why they don't scale on CUDA cores per RWP.

[​IMG]

Another hint at why the prices are "so low".

I still don't think 8gb is enough on the 3070. Unless they work very differently (like HBM on the Fury LOL, yes I am joking with that) then that's not much.

Me playing COD MW last night 1440p ultra.

[​IMG]

8. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

I think i'll upgrade my gtx970 3.5gb plus a bit to a 3070 founders edition, especially as price/performance from that card should be pretty much near the top of the pile - will be a huge step up but I may just hold off a little until AMD release details on big navi as i'm still interested in mixed resolution gaming and you can't do it on nvidia (despite all their current mid/high end cards having the vram and horsepower to do so but they haven't written it into the drivers and messing around with third party software to make it work is something i'm too lazy to do)

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Going by game VRAM usage is not always safe. Some engines seem to allocate as much VRAM as they can, whether they actually use it or not - while others only allocate what they need. Not saying you're wrong, just that it's not one-size-fits-all. :)

10. Vault-Tec

Oh yeah I am aware of that. It's slightly different on AMD also.

I just don't see it being enough for 4k. Time will tell :)

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

There's an awful lot of 2000 series cards on feebay today.

I very nearly caved and bought a brand new 2070 super about six weeks ago. I'd be gutted if I had.

B1GBUD likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

I wouldn't be gutted. At all.

I was quite surprised to see how the even bloatier COD MW runs on my 2080Ti today. I mean yeah, I got a mental one, but it's still very impressive.

Absolute maxed out, RT and all of the new shadow stuff. Looks really good now.

I'm certainly comfortable with buying another, that's for sure. Been chasing a couple today. Got offered an Aorus Extreme for £550 with a Barrow water block. Would like to keep it at £500 or under, and FE or the same PCB as I have a brand new Barrow block sitting in the box lol.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Prior to the announcement of the new GPUs there had been rumours that AIBs would release versions with double the memory some time after launch... might be related to that rather than an actual TI model.

14. Vault-Tec

And that model, like the Ryzen 3900 may not be available to the public.

Nvidia have done deals like this with Dell (well, the Alienware side) in the past. Like the GTX 555 and so on.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That would suck tbh.

On another note:

EVGA already has a 3090 Hydro Copper pictured on their website:
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/

So hopefully won't be too long of a delay after launch until WC'd versions are available.

Uhhm...

The 3080 has the exact same MSRP as the 780ti, 1080 FE, 1080ti, RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2020
  16. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

lol. Chuck my block on that is sparkling new in the box, sorted :D

17. Vault-Tec

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

shame they haven't made it single slot. I will probably buy pre made wc variant this time around, can't be arsed to build one.

19. Vault-Tec

Yeah that's strange given the block itself seems no thicker than a single slot and the back plate doesn't have any connectors there. Maybe EK will do the option like they did with Fury X?

20. Vault-Tec

ITX users look away, now !

[​IMG]

Goatee, IanW, Bloody_Pete and 2 others like this.