1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling QUIET CPU AIR Cooler - under £50 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 2 Sep 2020.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hey all,

Just seeing what people recommend for as CPU air cooler for under £50... Am I correct that
    the current king is the Noctua NH-D15 (which is unfortunately over my budget, but if nothing compares at all I may try to stretch to it) ?
    I was going to stick with the stock cooler for my R5-3600, and while the CPU temps are perfectly fine
    (never seems to go over 69 or so with what I do on the PC), its fan is a bit of a whiney bugger.

Possibly looking at changing the case fans I currently have too, as I think they're a little on the
    loud side aswell, and don't seem to like having low RPM. 4 120 GentleTyphoons (2 intake, 2 exhaust).
    I know I have some AF120L's and an AF140L laying around, anyone know if they're any good?
    I only find reviews of the non-L varients... I am not even sure what the "L" means...

tia

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

pete* likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I have a Noctua NH-U12S happily on my 3600.- about £53 currently on the Zon.

pete* likes this.
  4. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

And if you still want a bit more, the U14S is about £10 more...

pete* likes this.
  5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

pete* likes this.
  6. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

I'm very happy with the Arctic sp 12 fans, as good as Akasa black apaches at a much friendlier price.

pete* likes this.
  7. pete*

Ahh! I forgot about the legendary BeQuiet coolers! Even have a couple of BeQuiet fans, just can't find
    the little plastic pins to be able to mount them. And need a proper good clean.

But yeah, the Noc would be overkill, as I don't OC any of my stuff. So this about fits the bill!

As for fans, I WANT to replace the noisey (but airflow is very good) GT's I have, but might try these
    AF120/140s I have first as I have a few different fans about, so buying EVEN MORE, might be a little silly. But they look a bargain! So i'll save that for if I need it, thanks.

8. adidan

The thing i've noticed is different air coolers don't make that much difference to Ryzen temperatures per se - the better performers just allow them to stretch their legs more and get more Mhz for similar or slightly better temps.

From what I found anyway.

9. pete*

Yeah, it is more the noise than anything. I'm hard of hearing, and even I can hear the whine of this stock cooler. So a quiet cooler is what I want.
    Temps with stock are fine. It doesn't bat an eyelid at the games I play like Horizon:ZD and COD, even at highest settings. Not that COD is that taxing.

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

IIRC there is an Arctic 34(?) that seemed to be getting good reviews for its cost, about 30 quid.

May be another to look into.

Edit: I think it was the 34 esport I was reading about when I was looking for a cooler.

pete* likes this.
  11. pete*

Just been looking at that. £5 extra for the Duo..
    Really like it in white haha, just can’t find it to buy in white. Without silly delivery.