1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia unveils RTX-30 series of GPUs and they're whoppers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 2 Sep 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If the benchmarks come close to supporting Nvidia's claims, as someone who games at 1440p and doesn't play the most graphically demanding FPS games, 3070 looks like it could hit the sweet spot, when I look at upgrading next year and, for not a great deal more than I paid for an Evga GTX 1070 ti 2 years ago.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I find it "interesting" that so far, only Scan & Overclockers have populated RTX30x0 pages on their sites.
    Neither lists any prices yet, nor do they show the reference cards revealed last night. :eyebrow:
    It'll be time for me to upgrade in Q4, and the 3080 is tempting at the official price.

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

IanW likes this.
  5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

6. DbD

DbD Minimodder

What I've seen looks like 65-85% faster for 2080 vs 3080 and the best increase was in doom eternal so not using ray tracing or DLSS. I just wish the 3070 had a bit more memory. The stock 3080 looks like the bargain unfortunately for wallets everywhere - £650 with the fancy cooler and a lot more performance the a 2070 - but I would never get that past the wife...

Last edited: 2 Sep 2020
  7. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

someone already screenshotted a leveno build with a 16 gig TI variant(and confirmed on toms hardware) just like always with nvidia, you would be a fool to buy the first round of cards, cause better is already around the corner, and probably for the same price

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Pretty much what I was thinking, this set of cards is to convince you PC is where it is at for gaming so you don't buy a console for great graphics, then the next set are probably holding back to counter Navi.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I don't think that will happen.

I don't think it is big navi worrying Nvidia so much, but something far more obvious. The consoles. They both target 4k 60 from what I can see, and Jen was quick to point this out in the longer video I didn't know existed. I just saw him in the kitchen, showing some cards.

The extra VRAM will be the catch. The fact he has had to savagely cut his own prices says a lot to me. However, I don't think cards with more VRAM will cost the same, as historically this has not been true (680 4gb vs 2gb, 770, 580 3gb etc). They usually cost quite a bit more, so it is possible that the lower prices he has given are because they have less VRAM.

I also think he would not have released now if not for the consoles either. It's clearly pre emptive action against them, not Navi. You know? RT, 4k 60 etc. All of the things the new consoles are focused on.

Maybe he is holding some cards with higher vram back for big Navi, but I can't see them costing the same. AMD will slot their prices just behind Nvidia's.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Will be well into next year before I even consider actually buying a new GPU and, it may well be a year or more from now.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

There is always a better card "around the corner", though. At some point you either have to pee or get off the pot!

12. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Yea I did that with the 980 I bought my wife, not even a couple months later they mic dropped the 980TI for some insignificant amount more and lowered the price of the 980. I cant imagine paying more than double and have that experience, video cards are significant chunk of money, and people like me tend to get "a good one" to hopefully avoid having to upgrade constantly, and while that 980 is still going strong (for the 1080p games that my wife plays) it still stings a little bit knowing I paid top tier monies for a second class card ... and I am not going to be a fool again when it comes to nvidia

ATI / AMD meh not as painful, you already know your paying less for "almost as good", though at my heart I am a nvidia fanboi (hell they just make better stuff)

13. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

The gaps between generations have become larger recently, and we've seen the Super/Ti trick for two generations in a row. I think the case for waiting (alongside possible price gouging with high demand) is stronger than usual.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This is why my policy is to only upgrade every other generation.
    The jump from my current 1080 to a 3080 seems reasonable to me.

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Likewise.

But it also depends on Navi.

16. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Have they stopped making Titans? Or is that the 3090?

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

it's the 3090

monty-pup likes this.
  18. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

When are the benchmarks due, or is that nugget of info under NDA?

Can we get 3090 SLi results please?

It’s not like I can afford it - but I do like to know these things ☺️

thank you!

19. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Unfortunately my Asus 1070ti died in April, so i could not wait. If i go without gaming on 27" 144hz my head will surely implode.
    So in April i HAD to buy a replacement card, which was a Gigabyte 2070 Super OC @ (£520.00) to get me through the "inbetween" period.

Now i will probably have to wait until Easter 2021 until i can justify a 3090 to the Mrs. Shh!

20. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Rumour is big navi will be 16gb and probably competing with the 3070 more then the 3080. That means Nvidia will need a 16gb 3070, and if they've done that a 20gb 3080.

Tags: Add Tags