1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Using Hue in multiple locations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 7 Sep 2020.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

SWMBO is having her garden office assembled today after what seems like a long wait for it to be made.

She's decided she would like some Hue lighting in it, but wasn't sure whether you could have a separate setup in the house later that does different stuff and not interfere with the original one.

Advice greatly appreciated thanks

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My experience is limited, but I believe there's no issues with doing that.

My first thought, though is range. The Hue Bridge is attached to the physical network, and the light controllers themselves use Zigbee (Or something similarly named) wireless communications. The controller needs to be able to talk to said controllers to let you via the app configure rooms and the like.

You can set routines etc on a per "Room" basis, and you can configure "rooms" to suit, so I have a living room and an office both with different lighting routines, colours, etc.

Soo.. Wireless communication limitations aside, I don't believe there'd be any issues with later adding some in the house. The garden office'd just be called "Garden Office" or whatever more whimsical name took fancies.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Perfect thank you @liratheal.

I assume the indoor setup needs a second bridge to connect it to the network

The GO is going to be ethernet wired to the Virgin hub and there will be a wifi re broadcaster and switch at the other end for both sorts of connection.
    I'm glad you mentioned naming, as that has been in discussion. She strongly took against the alleged female version of 'Man Cave', the 'She Shed' and it's just the Garden Office or Snug right now.

I don't get a look in here, unless it's accompanied social use out of work hours...

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Honestly it all started sounding a little mental to me, the way the Zigbee light controllers work - My understanding is that they can effectively act as rebroadcasters, so if the hub is at point A, and that's too far from point C for the controller to connect, but point B is another light controller somewhere between, then all fine. So it does all depend on what kind of distance and stuff there is between the hub and the lights.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2020
    Arboreal likes this.
  5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

You are right its pretty mental:

All depends on the device in the middle if it is a repeater or not.

I personally have a HA setup with a CC2531 controller, some ikea wall plugs acting as repeaters and various Zigbee devices:

upload_2020-9-7_13-44-22.png

Arboreal and liratheal like this.