1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I hadn't even thought of that TBH.

Honestly... the packaging exterior is immaculate. The bubble wrap inside is not damaged.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You too? It seems to be on ALL the time when SWMBO is unwinding of an evening... She's also watching the UK version too.
    Certainly one way to keep me out of the living room, plenty of interesting and educational content on YT thankfully.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

YT and headphones is my salvation too. :thumb:

An eclectic learning of woodwork, lockpicking, galaxy formation and funny cats.

Maybe I should thank her.

Nah...

Arboreal, Mr_Mistoffelees and David like this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My desk is within earshot of the TV. Noise cancelling headphones FTMFW!

IanW, Arboreal and adidan like this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Not life ruining but, annoying. Got a Samsung Galaxy S8, still on Android 9 and, won't be getting Android 10 or 11. Forget it Samsung, I want a mobile that is kept up to date and secure and you won't do it so, I will not be buying another.

Hello Apple, when upgrade time comes. I know they are far from perfect but, they are not linked to Google and they keep phones up to date, for much longer.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2020
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yep, I'm with you. I'm in the process of going back to my 3-year old iPhone SE...

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

My work phone is an SE, I can't imagine you typing on one. It's a nice little handset, mind, but too small for a daily driver?

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's why I switched to an Android One phone.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm definitely going iPhone, the wife's XS is an impressive device.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Android One all the way.

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The XS perhaps, but the SE is like a child's toy.

Don't get me wrong, it was the last decent phone in that form factor but I couldn't use one day to day.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It is a little small these days, but for me this is still an OK size TBH. A decent keyboard helps, I can't use the built in Apple keyboard but SwiftKey is fine.

Even if it's a little small that's a compromise I'm more than willing to make in order to have a decent user experience.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

There's nothing that ticks all the boxes for me, a pretty bare Android build is as close as it comes. I don't love the privacy situation but I just can't get along with iOS, I'd cope with the lack of handset options though.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That scam would not work, as no courier in the UK will insure anything with a screen in. Laptops, TVs, monitors are all on their "take your chances" list.

That's why when I sent David mine I encapsulated it in about a foot of foam.

Byron C likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I didn't even think to look at that... It was sent via Parcel Farce, and...

[​IMG]

This guy is f'ed. Even if I believed the 'it was damaged in transit' story, he's failed to adequately insure/protect the machine from damage during transit. Just a pain that I have to wait until Tuesday now to get eBay to step in...

I've just been having a read and it looks like Collect+ will insure laptop screens thankfully. RM Special Delivery will also insure it (I think), but it'd be close to £30 for me to send it back with them!

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

He's even more F-ed if he paid the insurance because they won't refund it now.

But yeah, it was becoming like the "hit the brakes and get hit up the arse" scam. People sending out smashed laptops and expensive stuff, then claiming. That and the fact that if any courier even so much as thinks that the parcel has any glass in it he will become a butter fingered goon and break it.

Another hint, and I just got done arguing this on the 2080Ti.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item/return-postage?id=4066

Noting of course -

Who pays for return postage?
    The seller pays for return postage if the item was damaged, faulty, or doesn't match the listing description, or if they offer a free returns policy.

So hold firm and make the bugger send you a label. That was the only hiccup in the return for me, he refused to accept that until I sent him the link.

IanW, Pete J and Byron C like this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Noted, thanks for the link! :thumb:

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I guess I'll be that guy and say the buyer pays return postage thing on Ebay is both easy to set up and use without the buyer's input. You can print a return label and Ebay will deduct the cost of postage from the refund automatically. I had a guy get very pissy with me over that a couple of years ago. Ebay told him to go away since I had refunded the item in full and the cost of postage was their money now.

Byron C likes this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

TBH I was expecting to foot the bill for return shipping anyway. This guy just needs to pull his finger out of his arse and do the right thing.

The point about insurance etc is moot anyway. Even if it was genuinely damaged in transit (which I seriously doubt), it's not my responsibility to go chasing that up or worry about whether it was adequately insured in the first place.

Mr_Mistoffelees and Pete J like this.
  20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's less ruining and more irksome.

Two hour drive to look at a few things, one of the things is goosed (also a Mac, so no easy to find diagnostics LEDs..) one is absolutely fine but being windows and on loan to a Mac user, something tells me they're just being a finicky sod about it. The new terminal has a user that no one knows the password to, so that's going to get wicked interesting. And the guy who is coming to break their internet is not here yet. I feel like I need to get my BT head on, given that there's a time 'slot' not a time.