1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2020 thread - Season over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 2 Feb 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I knew there'd be some big crashes. Racing was good on the starts as cars were tight and jostling, but after that it was almost too easy once you had drs, most passes being completed before you even got to the corner. Was fairly tame once people stopped crashing into each other. Good for Albon to get his first podium and gasly to have a bad day, should take the pressure off and maybe he'll calm down a bit. He gets a bit too scrappy-doo at times.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

3. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Yeah I did wonder if there were "no political statements" clauses in their contracts with either sponsors or under the F1 banner itself.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well, not a surprise given how far major sports go to try and 'avoid' politics. Certainly less of surprise than F1 letting drivers kneel and pride rainbows appearing on the Mclaren. I wonder if they'll stay on for Sochi and the Arabian rounds.

If they have any sense they'll give him a reprimand and a modest fine, which Lewis will complain about briefly, then completely ignore.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Or he'll just pay the fines and keep wearing the t-shirt.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

How big a **** storm does F1 want to wade into?

7. rollo

rollo Modder

He wont even get fined be asked to remove the tshirt nicely probably

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Which i expect him to completely ignore. He is clearly in the IDGAF stage of his career and when your 7 time world champion and on the moral high ground its hard to imagine a strong fight from F1.

Now if had worn a Nazi top or even a "I love bojo" tshirt it would warrant a heavy hand.

I struggle to see how calling for a transparent justice process in someones killing is 'political'. All deaths and in particular killings deserve due process regardless of your political persuasion. I for one expect police to be held to the highest standards (as should be the case for all people in a position of power)

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's F1, so the biggest, the deepest, the smelliest.

On that note, Frankie Morbidelli had a Spike Lee 'Do the right thing' inspired helmet at the Moto GP over the weekend, he also won the race. Oh the Italian press are not happy.

10. javaman

With Russia up next it's probably being used as a warning before someone wears a "justice for Navalny" shirt

11. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I struggle to forget Hamilton winning in Russia in 2014, accepting the trophy from Putin himself, six months after Russia annexed Crimea leading to an armed conflict in which 13,000 people have been killed.

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

If he does, will he be asked by a mystery person "Comrade Hamilton, does this bottle smell of Novichok?"

13. rollo

rollo Modder

According to BBC No further action will be taken

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

That's a shame. I'm all for Ham using his fame as a platform for awareness/change, but I don't feel a sporting podium is the right place to apply pressure to a foreign Govt to arrest cops accused of a crime. It's bad enough that he wears a BLM t-shirt, instead of the FIA approved End Racism message.

He's a wizard behind the wheel, but he's a bit of a tit out of the car.

15. javaman

I agree in principle and the times F1 has rose against politics has in my mind been the correct thing.

However in many ways I see BLM as the more official antiracism message currently and having a seperate message for the same thing (especially with the extreme feelings BLM triggers) kinda dilutes the message and feels half assed and me to rather than a proper effort.
    In the case of BLM while i do think all lives matter is a better message (coming from a place where ending racism and sectarianism was done by "positive" discrimination), it is something that needs addressed and shouldnt be ignored.

I do think tho the tshirt worn might be pushing things as it was targeted and not necessarily constructive especially as the US is so divided and taking aim at law enforcement that is clearly circling the wagons is counterproductive.

The situation is too nauanced and the FIA official end racism message feels me too and half assed. Im conflicted over no political statements however the FIA having a racism message has set a precident that isnt consider political.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Nothing was ever going to happen let’s be honest

if they say he can’t wear it looks awful, if they say he can they also lose

Mercedes are a 100% behind there driver and the FIA and F1 have enough issues as it is

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Saying "all lives matter" completely misses the point of the BLM movement. Don't think of it like a statement that black lives matter and who cares about anyone else, it's a message to racists who think black people are lower lifeforms and think nothing of gunning them down that hey, "black lives matter just as much as yours.", but that message/slogan isn't quite as punchy.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The fact that all lives matter isn't the point. BLM was launched on the back of disproportionate numbers of black people being killed in police actions.

Think of it as Black Lives Matter Too and you'll get the import of their message.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Reminder:

His tshirt didn't mention BLM.
    Cops breaking into the wrong property and fatally shooting an innocent person is wrong, regardless if the BLM movement exists or not.

The_Crapman likes this.
  20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder