1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There will be zero stock. That priec is purely for the FE reviews to make it look better. You'll see prices go up and those 2080Tis on ebay go back up as well.

wyx087 likes this.
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Power consumption only matters for GPUs that suck flying donkey testicles in the performance department like the Radeon VII, but since the 3080 is the fastest GPU ever made (until the 3090 next week)...
    No reason to care that it uses more power.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They had already started to yesterday. Back to around £700 for a decent model.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

As there always is, there will be cards at the rrp and there will be a large spectrum of cards at different price points. If you're going to Watercool anyway, way waste £200 on a cooler going in the bin
    [​IMG]2020-09-16_02-48-57 by The_Crapman, on Flickr

5. rollo

rollo Modder

2080ti is 2 years old now, the 3080 should be ahead and for cheaper that’s how technology works.

Even if the AIBs come in for £699 it’s still a massive win.

I will wait either way, I am hoping AMD has something to force a price war.

6. Vault-Tec

Where's that Andy? I can't find any.

Just a warning here. Many of those cheap cards will not get blocks. At all.

I bought a KFA2 2070 Super and no block ever came out for it. The only oddball cards that got them (cheap ones) were Asus, and they were £150. Which kinda dumps on your cheap card toss away cooler. If you are stuck on air it's useless. Well, if you intended on WC.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

modd1uk and Vault-Tec like this.
  8. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Big win for Nvidia and gamers no matter which way you swing it, even in light of the worst case scenario (3rd party cards ending up ~£100 more than the FE, FE's being impossible to find etc.)

The 2080Ti on the used market can fluctuate all it wants, it'll still just be a "you can buy this now for a higher price or wait to get dramatically better performance" thing.

9. Vault-Tec

Crivens I just noticed Inno3d have put two fans on one. They're brave !

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

...tbh, for me the biggest takeaway is actually how overpriced the 2xxx series was. Prices have been anchored pretty high, which is increasing the impact of Ampere.

11. The_Crapman

It's overclockers, the mobile version of the site makes it look like they're available for pre-order, but if you try adding it to you basket it goes "there's nothing in your basket". :rollingeyes:

A lot of the cheaper models use the reference board, but some use the reference board as a reference and stick a cap in the middle of nowhere for fun. I'd normally check both Watercool and ek's compatibly list to check as assurance.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Interesting. I watched the GN review and skipped through the J2C review.

Good performance, but boy does the 2000 series look even more expensive than it did the first time around.

hamza_tm likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

OK so I watched a few reviews. Let's concentrate on 1440p because that's what I run. And let's use a game I actually play.

[​IMG]

Noting this is on AMD, as over 80% of his users asked him to do. Total performance over the 2080Ti FE @ 1440p is...

[​IMG]

21%. And that is on a bone stock FE 2080Ti, which mine bloody isn't. At all.

So Adored was spot on when he said the 3080 would be crap at lower resolutions because "All of those shaders may struggle to find "work" at lower less demanding resolutions".

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Sorry, in what universe is that “crap”?

15. The_Crapman

How is 21% faster crap? One fifth extra performance is not to be scoffed at. You may think it is because your card isn't an Fe, but this is comparing and Fe to an Fe. If you want a fair comparison to your card you'll have to wait for the kingpin.

We'll also have to wait for the AIB reviews to see what the oc situation is, as no one seems to be able to get much more out of the Fe cards. Also, it remains to be seen what we're actually comparing as like for like cards. Is the 3090 really this Gen's titan? It's not a full fat GA102 so I fully expect there to be a titan or 3090ti, so should we be comparing the 3080 and 2080ti as like for like? Should really be looking at 3090 Vs 2080ti, then it's gonna take a big hot dicking :naughty:

16. Vault-Tec

It's called reality, on planet earth mate.

Before Ampere launched he gave his viewers the chance to vote on which CPU he should use for testing. Over 70% said AMD 'cause you know? that's what they are using. Maybe you missed the news about Ryzen 3? IDK.

So that is what he tested the 3080 on, given you know? nearly every one is buying AMD now. And those are the results at the resolution I use (1440p) including all of the results Nvidia didn't want people to see.

17. Vault-Tec

Sorry I forgot to add the context in there.

[​IMG]

The £490 Aorus Xtreme with the Barrow block on. That will probably be as fast as the 3080 at 1440p.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Across all games which is what your chart shows at the bottom the gap is huge. 114 to 136 is massive min jump. 141 to 171 is another big jump.

Granted over clocking may correct some of that. But most 2080tis do not reach kingpin levels of performance (£1750 gpu)

most get a small Overclock on air which is the majority of users these days and no air based overclock is catching that 3080

I do not personally get the gripe the 3080 is getting from some of you. Nvidia should be congratulated.

2000 series was the biggest price gouging excercise in gpu history.

modd1uk and hamza_tm like this.
  19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

And given all that, you consider 21% better to be “crap”? Not sure your appeal to reality is holding water, friend.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

3080 looks like a tidy 4k card finally:clap: