1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Second hand bargains will exist if you're lucky enough, but we still have no idea of the full potential of the 3080. Only time will tell if Fe performance is it and they're pushing the card as far as it will go, or if watercooled AIB cards will see similar gains to the 2000series, which will negate your advantage.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

At £490 I can't lose. I know that much man.

Time I finally got my hands on a 3080 I then need to begin the block hunt. I could end up buying the wrong one again like I did twice on Turing, and it could get very expensive. I don't like uncertainty tbh. Never have.

Plus then we get to the meat and potatoes, right? both rigs I run are AMD. One, a 3950x is barely any faster than the test rig used there. Meaning I would bottleneck a 3080 at the res I run. OK fine, stick it in the other rig? 1920x. So GLWT.

Not only that but it would mean a full and total water conversion for my Lian Li, which can not run on air. Well, unless I bought another AIO cooled 3080. That was why I built the new PC the way I did, because of my Mephisto's monkey logic. IE you have a water cooled rig and the temptation to keep adding asses is far too great, so they spend half of their time looking like this.

[​IMG]

3. Vault-Tec

They get close mate. In fact my buddy had a Trio MSI thing that beat mine (2200). Though he has full water (two 480 rads in a 1000D) and he did void the warranty. Most will do 2ghz on water with no fuss.

The gripe? go and find me a £650 3080. A Founder's Edition, that is binned and cooled better than any other (hence why it got the reviews).

Let's see what happens in the next couple of months.

4. The_Crapman

I really doubt that a 3950x is bottlenecking the card at 1440. Are the differences as great at 1440 Vs 4k? No, but even in your own example it averages at 21% over all games. Some may be better than others, this is before we get into 3rd gen tensor cores and dlss 2.0 advantages.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds like a challenge for my air conditioner :hehe:

7. Vault-Tec

Yeah for sure. 1440p is the new 1080p. Thing is what is the point in getting all frothy at the gash over benchmarks that don't pertain to me?

Andy. All that matters to me are the ones I own and play mate. Like, if you bought a new GPU then you would base it on your most played game right? (IE Div 2). That's the sensible way for me to buy a GPU. No point buying something for something I don't do.

So lately I started a fully modified FO3 being rendered at 8k lol.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The performance figures for the 3080 are almost bang on where I expected - on average, of course - per game results seem to vary wildly but HW Unboxed are averaging it out at 20-30% over the 2080 Ti across 1440p & 4K.

I'd be feeling pretty pleased with myself if I'd grabbed a 2080Ti for ~ £500, even if the 3070 matches it and marginally out-performs it. The 3070 is going to be bouncing off the VRAM limits at 4k much sooner than the 2080 Ti.

wyx087 and Goatee like this.
  9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So how does it work with the binning?

As far as I can tell there are three (?) qualities, I presume the FE get the best, I wonder what effect the quality will have on future cards.

10. The_Crapman

Oh there's absolutely zero point in you upgrading. Still got more performance than you can motion blur a stick at. lol But you can't say that the performance jump is crap. Well, you can and you have, but I strongly disagree. GN couldn't even get the 3080 to run F1 2019, so you'd be bang out of luck with that one :hehe: Give it a month or 2 when we've seen a red card and some more performance will leak out from driver massaging as usual.

I'd definitely want one, but there's zero chance of that happening. Not sure I'd notice the difference on my 10year old TV that's 8 feet away either :hehe:

I'll be dammed! I thought there'd be a smidge of difference, but that's fairly significant. Although "unimportant" in most cases at the same time given how high the frame rate is.

11. Vault-Tec

There is an issue with those figures being thrown around. I just spotted it.

No doubt I will get a hail storm of abuse for pointing this out, but I'm going to any way.

I just got done watching Gamer's Nexus review of the 3080. It is the only benchmarks I have yet seen that compare the 3080 against an overclocked 2080Ti and a overclocked 3080 against a overclocked 2080Ti.

Now initially when I read the first review on OC3D I asked about the overclocked 2080Ti results as there weren't any. Apparently they didn't overclock the 2080Ti FE but did overclock the 3080. Hmm, OK. In the review it states -

There are a couple of things to be aware of with our overclocking efforts on the RTX 3080 FE. Firstly, like so many of our reviews, we're running on pre-release drivers. This brings it's own issues in certain games, but the biggest effect for this particular bit of the review is that the MSI Afterburner overclocking tool doesn't allow voltage adjustment and without the Nvidia OC Scanner tool (it wasnt ready when we were testing) we ended up being cautious, although as you'll see from our results it doesn't stop the RTX 3080 FE stomping the competition regardless.

Which at first I thought "OK furry muff". However, when I got to GN's review he clearly and loudly (as usual) states that the reason the paltry 6% overclock was all they could get was down to the Vbios preventing the card using any more power. So Tom has basically got it wrong.

OK moving on then. When I look at the results on GN where he compares the 3080 and 2080Ti properly? there is barely any difference at all. At best it's 10%, even at 4k. And that is using a 2080Ti Strix, which is on air.

Which is starting to lead me to believe that a half decent 2080Ti under water (and heck, you can even unlock the BIOS if you want !) is just as fast as a 3080. For the reason that simply your 2080Ti would not be held to any limitation other than the silicon, where as Ampere is strictly restricted by the power draw at present. AND, we also know for sure that Turing 2080Ti was the first card of any sort or type to be released by Nvidia in years and years that allowed unlimited voltage.

So what happens if they don't unlock the BIOS this time around?

Adi - basically the centre of the silicon wafer is the best area. This is why the Kingpin costs so much more (as does the HOF etc) because they buy grade A bins from Nvidia before binning those themselves. However, with the 3080 there is no saying that Nvidia are even going to let any one have any.

So with all of that said? I don't rate the 3080 at all apart from the price. *IF* you can get one for that price of course which remains to be seen. I don't hold out much hope.

12. Vault-Tec

Well if you have AMD then all you can really do is run what you brung I suppose?

Given that most choose AMD now I would rather see real benchmarks than inflated ones using different hardware.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Didn't they say Nvidia wasn't binning as hard for FE now?

14. adidan

Dunno, I just remember reading/watching something on it.

Mind you i've seen so much recently i'm not entirely sure what the situation is :lol:

Edit: nope not gone mad, phew https://www.igorslab.de/en/chip-is-...-dispersal-at-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...re-reportedly-split-into-three-binning-tiers/
    I presume FE will be using bin 2's.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2020
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Techpowerup reports that Zotac are now upping warranty to 3 years on 30x0 cards from tomorrow, with 2 more if you register the card.

16. The_Crapman

I had to go check that GN didn't have a dud, but all the reviews I checked weren't able to get much more out the core at all, but anywhere from 750-1000 on the memory. But given how fast the memory is already and the doubled transfer rate for the new pam4 gddr6X with with a higher bandwidth than a 2080ti, memory is going to be the least of its troubles.

It looks like you're going to have to cough up for a top end custom card if you want to squeeze some more out of it.

17. Vault-Tec

That is if Nvidia allow them to be unlocked. Kepler - locked. That was the end of the Lightning series IMO. Maxwell - locked. They only released Lightnings to builders like Dan. Pascal - locked. One card was unlocked on Turing (2080Ti) and it was limited to boards with lots of power (HOF, KP, Duke etc).

From what I have seen so far Ampere overclocks worse than the "Overclocker's dream !" Fury X. 6%. The fury could manage about 8. And this is supposed to be Founder's editions, where the 2080Ti was clocked 200mhz more than the competition.

Not looking so hot from here. So there may be two reasons. 1. Nvidia don't want to show people how much these effers draw when really overclocked or 2. They are so pants Nvidia have clocked the balls off of them.

I suppose with 1. they could blame the AIBs. By then who will care if a A/M card chews through 500w? or if 2.? they will be outed. However, as usual it will be too little too late. Had it not been for Steve @ GN I would have believed every word Tom wrote, which is probably what he got from Nvidia "Ohhh that, blame the drivers yes !, even though we delayed the cards for supposedly better drivers. Wait, that was our first excuse, the second was Covid and reviewers not receiving their cards in time (AKA Jay getting a cherry picked dud).

People can gloss this over all they like and pee in their pants but it's just stunk of BS to me. You have EG taking bungs before hand with lies and ploys, and now all this.

18. The_Crapman

Maybe now we're seeing the price of their Samsung defection. Chips are cheap but there's no headroom in them.

19. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Isn't this the way of most chips now though? Isn't it just the fab process getting tighter tolerances so the bin lottery is less of a thing?

20. adidan

I'd still prefer a 'best' chip over an 'okay' one :)