1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wired internet on one PC 'connected', but not.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by oscy, 13 Sep 2020.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

Everything was fine, nothing was installed or changed, I shut it down and went to sleep. I woke up, turned the PC on and the internet isn't connected.

The wireless works on my phone, the wired works on my PS4. I restarted the modem and PC, but there was no network still. Troubleshooting said no problem detected.

I tried the PS4's cable (still in the same socket of the modem) and a network shows up as 'connected', but still the same problem - instantly won't connect to a web page.

Now I'm trying System Restore for a few days ago. My only guess after that is a complete Windows reinstall... ugh... then if that doesn't work, my board has gone weird...

Windows 10, MSI Mortar Max motherboard only a few months old.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2020
  2. oscy

oscy Modder

Apologies if anyone read all that, but I was actually invoking Sod's Law, which regarding forums states "a majority of issues (whether it be tech or a hard bit in a video game) will be instantly solved the moment you create a large thread on it".

Although the System Restore didn't actually complete apparently, due to the anti-virus, so... yet another PC issue in the world that simply fixed itself and hopefully never happen again.

enbydee likes this.
  3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Try a network card or wireless card? I've had ether net die on a board before

4. oscy

oscy Modder

Perhaps it was a PSU issue. (I suppose anything can be.)

Mine's 6 years old, but it's a good one (Seasonic Evo M12II 750w). I intend to wait until it starts having issues (but more like random shut downs and boot loops) or it gets too noisy before upgrading, maybe ethernet being weird could be one sign.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ooooh it may be what I had on my Mortar Max.

One of the metal tabs on the motherboard shield catches just the wrong side on the ethernet port. You just have to move it to the right side.

Mine was forever dropping, finding, losing connection. It was driving me mad. Sorting that solved all ethernet issues. Some helpful chappy on ocuk had noticed this one.

Edit: it's worth double checking the shield's other tabs while you're at it.

oscy likes this.
  6. creative

creative 500rwhp

dns issue or an ipconflict maybe? ( assuming hardware is ok)

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I hate self-solving IT issues. You learn nothing for the next time.

Did you check the system logs?

8. oscy

oscy Modder

I just have but didn't see anything untoward, though I don't make much sense of it.

I suspect it was what adidan said, as that comes up when Googling internet problems with a Mortar board.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sounds like it but it's actually a minor flaw in the i/o shield really.

I hope it's the same issue anyway, such a minor easily correctable issue but it causes such a major headache. :happy: