1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't know if it's the camera angle or not, but the proportions of that model look a bit wrong to me. It looks too tall.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Almost there...

[​IMG]

There are some black stickers which are supposed to go on the back of the model, but they didn't peel off the backing material right and as a result, the 'stickyness' isn't there. I might look into getting some Pritt stick, but to be honest it may look better without them.

Anyway, should get the doors, engine cover and bonnet finished tomorrow!

It's not quite right and certainly not to minifig scale, but I just liked the fact that it had a remote controlled turret!

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Disaster strikes! Although some bits were missing, I was able to cover this by using parts meant for other models. However, I need four trans-clear blocks for the wing mirrors and the seller gave the wrong parts. So, another little order and hopefully the Lambo will be ready in the next few days...

I also tried to use a glue stick on the black stickers that were supposed to go on the rear wheel arches, but the glue wasn't sufficient to hold down the thin tapered parts, and frankly didn't actually look that good. I had to spend a little while getting rid of glue finger prints though.

In the meantime, I've decided to get on with the TIE Bomber as I should have all the parts for that.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

TIE Bomber underway...

[​IMG]

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The Centenario is complete!

[​IMG]

An excellent model.

PROS:
    • Exceptionally accurate representation of the car itself - more so than official Lego sets are.
    • Really satisfying and clever gear change mechanism.
    • Doors open just like the real thing.
    • Easily converted to right hand drive.
    • Instructions are very clear (though there are a couple of stages where you need to look ahead to figure the exact positioning of a part).
    CONS:
    • More fragile compared to official Lego sets. I knocked a couple of bits off transferring it to its display shelf. I would hate to move it to another house.
    • No reverse gear.
    • Much more expensive than official Lego sets, though this is more down to the nature of MOC building - I'd expect it to cost the same as the Sian if it was official.
    • Door opening mechanism is quite stiff and tends to build up torque before 'springing' open - a price that probably has to be paid to keep the mechanism compact and hidden.
    • Although this could be considered a pro point, the building is complex and HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT. There were times I had to walk away for a few minutes as it was starting to test my patience.
    I've said it before, but this is definitely the best Lego model I've ever built, even over the Star Destroyer.

11/10

Byron C likes this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update on the bomber:

[​IMG]

Also, the panels for the other fighters turned up today, so should hopefully be able to finish the TIE Fighter off tomorrow as well as starting on the remaining ones.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

About to settle down for a day of Lego building (and more tumble dryer fixing), but before I started, I thought I'd post a couple of MOCs I've found that interest me:

Iron Man helmet:

[​IMG]

The MOC is on the left, the official model is on the right. The official Lego model costs £55, the MOC seems to be purchasable for £65 at the lowest (excluding shipping). The premium is well worth the aesthetic improvement IMHO! This is definitely a MOC that I intend to build in the near future - I just need to wait for Lego prices to swing low.

You get your wish!

[​IMG]

There are two downsides:
    • It's not been physically built yet (only exists as a CAD model with instructions), though a chap is building it and going to report back.
    • It's expensive. Eye wateringly expensive. Even allowing for used parts, it comes in at ~£1,100, which considering it's ~2700 parts, is obscene. This comes about because of some extremely rare parts that are used, so the cost could probably be reduced by changing the colour of some parts and looking into alternative parts.
    I do want to build it but owing to circumstances is a long term goal. Plus I want to see how the guy actually building it gets on!

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ooo.

And yeah, a Metal Gear Rex Lego model of any reasonable scale seems to be in the 'thick end of a grand' territory. The Ragnarok01 build was around 900 notes when I had the build list. Which I don't anymore, which makes me sad.

Edit; Ohlawdy, I had a look at the buy link on that page, 7,669€ from a German seller with most of the parts.

Pete J likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

lolno! :grin:

liratheal likes this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

TIE Bomber complete!

[​IMG]

Now to finish the fighter...

IanW, Byron C and liratheal like this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

More work on the TIE Fighter:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately some more missing parts has halted progress, so they've been ordered, as well as some others that I knew were missing or discovered to be off-colour. In the meantime, I'll be getting on with the TIE Advanced.

Also, I've ordered the parts for the Iron Man bust as the prices reached a good low point.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Lord Vader grows impatient...

[​IMG]

Annoyingly, some more missing parts. Ordered. Won't stop construction for the moment though.

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

In the meantime, Sir Lord Vader will be ordering Penne a la Arabbiata and inspecting trays dried in a rainforest...

IanW and Pete J like this.
  14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Progress halted on the TIE Advanced while the missing parts turn up:

[​IMG]

In the meantime, I'll get on with the TIE Interceptor. I had a quick look through the instructions and owing to a centre of mass issue, the model has a couple of parts underneath that point it slightly upwards. Since this would be out of place with the other models, I've ordered some steel shot (I was going to order lead shot but didn't see the point when H&S concerns could be dropped) that I can put in the rear bricks, hopefully balancing the model out. Stay tuned.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Vader's happy now:

[​IMG]

The TIE Fighter's almost complete, but unfortunately more missing pieces. Back to the TIE Advanced.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The TIE Interceptor's almost complete - just waiting on 16 black wedge parts for the wings:

[​IMG]

And all deliveries are in and checked for the Iron Man Helmet, so may as well:

[​IMG]

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Iron Man Helmet complete!

[​IMG]

A really nice, straightforward build - would recommend to any Avengers fan. Over time I hope to add to the small Iron Man minifig collection I have, though some already collect pretty hefty prices.

In other news, I'm contemplating a Nebulon B frigate to put alongside the Star Destroyer:

[​IMG]

Although Lego have launched an official set, it's an US exclusive. I wish they'd stop doing that. Never mind - I quite like the docked tiny Millennium Falcon, which is also correct scaling.

Righto, on to the Millennium Falcon...

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The missing parts turned up today, so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with that, the Imperial fighter collection is complete!

[​IMG]

Back to the MF...

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Been following all the builds since the start of this thread. Reminds me a lot of my childhood with all the sets I had from the late 80s and through the 90s.

I have to ask Pete, what happens when you run out of wall space for all these projects? :grin:

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I think it was suggested that he's going to build a Lego extension on his house.