1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

While I don't know what influence other things in life have on you, if you've made it this far, I would urge you to do whatever it takes to complete it so you don't kick yourself in the future.

My last three or so months of mine were absolute hell. I was surviving on little sleep as I had to commute a long distance to my job, then write up in the evenings. I drank so much coffee I was getting bad IBS. At the time it almost broke me, but looking back, I'm really glad I didn't give up.

All worth it so that when someone pisses you off with poor customer service, you can reel out the 'Actually, that's Dr, not Mr.' :hehe:. Plus you can sign the back of people's passport photos.

Arboreal likes this.
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Don't give up, it will be worth the effort in the end. My step-daughter had a long run, with many obstacles along the way. Now she lectures at Plymouth uni and, gets additional post doctoral research work. And, you'll be damn proud of yourself when Dr replaces Mr in your name.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Managed to do something similar last year when I had to write up what I had done in the final couple of months, but I currently have a bunch of extra work to do (not just writing up) and at the same time trying to move country and find a new job whilst working full time has meant the PhD has been at the bottom of the priority list.

Never had any interest into going into academia/research at all really, just thought it would be cool and only thing that's kept me going is pride/not wanting to fail, which may not be enough, but I haven't completely given up, will keep trying to plug away for a couple of months just a shift in focus and being honest with myself and my supervisors.

Pete J and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Looks like my sons tumour might have started growing again, got some follow up to do so we can make sure, might have to start chemo which we were hoping to avoid. Early days but looks like regular trips to the hospital are back on for now.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

****, very sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with you, and fingers crossed.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sorry to hear that :(

Life eh?

Hoping for the best outcome.

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

My sentiments exactly, thats life. Just have to work with the hand you are dealt. We went through this two years ago, 5 surgeries in total and they got 95% of it. Been monitoring since but it has shown growth on the most recent scan. 100% removal was impossible and they hoped it would lie dormant, if the tests over the next month show it is active them we are fortunate that mild chemo may be enough to finish it off. If that doesn't, then there is a treatment I don't understand where they can treat the genetic element of it with targeted drugs, then after that there is proton beam. Hopeful we don't have to go that far but fortunate there are options should we need to. If this was just 10-15 years ago he wouldn't have survived, the techniques they used to get it haven't been round long.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

After being furloughed for 6 full months, I return to work from 8am to 4pm on Thursday.
    At 6pm on Thursday, a new "local lockdown" goes into force! :duh:

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well it's best to ease back in. Yeah, that's as much of a silver lining as i've got.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Work. Just the sheer amount of absolute idiots (I'm trying hard to not call them what I really feel they are) around me. I was called negative, a pessimist, "not interested in success, only focussing on what could go wrong", and much more. Now, in this week alone, I have learned that three of the top five projects at work are either already screwed or definitely on their way to self-annihilation. The most important project (one of the three) was due in 2015, before I even joined the company. It was then due in 2016, again in 2018, 2019, and now December 2020. It will fail again. Reasons? Only each and every possible reason I told them was knocking at their door three to three and a half years ago. EVERY. SINGLE. ****ING. ONE.

For whoever's sake! Why don't 'managers' listen to people like me? We just wasted about 250+ million on these projects over the years with little to no prospect of actually delivering something useful. Ever. That is not a problem for a healthy company of our size, but we also got the new financial numbers a few weeks ago: projected EBIT is -760m this year, about 935m behind plan. Sure, Corona plays a part, but this is a bloody joke.

I'm not sure I can take this crap much longer. Might have to look for a new job soon. I was literally a single click on the send button away from calling it quits on Monday, yesterday, and again today. Maybe it's time...

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I work closely with zee germans, and I cannot say I'm surprised at all. For a country that is so chock full of innovative, amazing, world leading tech, they are entirely ****ing worthless at project management. It's like corralling a bunch of incredibly talented babies.

12. perplekks45

It's not just the project managers, though. The whole company culture is basically "if it starts to go wrong, look away". Problem is, they've been doing that for a few decades now.

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That sucks. altho with the world going to hell the way it is right now... might be better to suck it up for now

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

No wonder DieselGate happened...

perplekks45 likes this.
  15. perplekks45

I don't work in the automobile sector, thank [random deity]. But in the next best thing: railway, cargo at that.

16. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Shitty couriers - say no more

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Minor thing but its narking me off anyway.

Sold item on Ebay. Received positive feed back (good) albeit with an extra comment that I charged too much for Royal Mail postage... (er ok).

I sent the item via DPD fully guaranteed...

:eyebrow::wallbash::wallbash:

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  18. perplekks45

There is a large difference between reading something and understanding it. Most people read without understanding.

adidan likes this.
  19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Heh. I was at DB the other day, and the main concern of the IT guy was that "we not get too stressed".

There was no planned replacement scheme, but they had ~50 new laptops. To sit in the corner and do nothing. In three days I replaced three and built two new. Boggled my mind how any company would spend ~75k on laptops to do.. Nothing with most of them.

The laptops I replaced were also literally the exact same machine, but with a previous generation processor.

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm sorry, you'll have to clarify.

:happy: