1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, I went a bit OTT with the budget for this build, but in my defence I have been very good recently :) I've been saving hard and I don't have any vices other than my bikes (even the PC hasn't been upgraded meaningfully for a few years now). To be honest I think I'd have been absolutely delighted with GRX mechanical or 105 hydro but ended up splurging on Di2. Hard to justify the premium for Di2, so I've just mentally blanked out the extra cost!

I did look at G-Ones (although I can't quite remember which variant) as a tyre option but read some conflicting reports about wear rates - I do take this stuff with a pinch of salt, of course! They do look very nice in terms of rolling and grip, though. I'll see how the Gravelkings fare and take it from there. Another option I considered was 32mm GP 4 Seasons as I run 28s on my hybrid commuter and they've been superb, but having clearance for bigger rubber on this new frame, I thought I'd go a bit bigger :D My main rationale for sticking with tubes was that I know what I'm doing with them, and short of catastrophic tyre damage I know I that I can get home with a change of inner tube. Tubeless seems like one of these ideas that might end up being better in theory than in practice, or alternatively might be a dream when it works but a 'mare when it doesn't.

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Yes, but their site usually updates a week or two before the UK, maybe more. As far as I'm aware, they aren't that far in the future. :lol:

Is that like a cyclist equivalent of having a lifted truck in the US?

Interested to see your Mason Bokeh, I do like the sound of them. I'm looking for something similar which will accept a dropper as a replacment for my Trek Crockett.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Can't you just drill a hole in the Crocket or fit an externally routed dropper?

4. Cookie Monster

Of course but OCD wont allow me to run a cable where it's not ment to be ran and I couldn't bring myself to drill the frame.

As with most CX bikes it also has a seatpost diameter of 27.2 which limits the dropper choice. Add all that to the fact the Crockett has a rear QR and won't easily fit a 650b wheel means upgrade time to something new.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I've managed to get a 9 & 10mm through bolt onto a couple of QR only bikes, infact its my plan with my next builts to give me some extra stiffness though the MTB front will have a chonki 15mm Maxle

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Woohoo, after a longer wait then hoped, I have finally had confirmation that the frame I've had on order for a couple of months is in country and being prepped for delivery. Bloody Covid causing all sorts of issues that can't be helped! Super excited to get my hands on it. Photos to follow in due course :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

@bawjaws if you are having trouble getting those tyres look up Smart Sam.

[​IMG]

My bike is "finished" again lol. Got a carbon saddle

[​IMG]

And the carbon Box bars.

[​IMG]

It's now even lighter than it was before.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Sorry fella, I don't follow. The last time I mentioned tyres was two months ago :grin:

9. Vault-Tec

Did you get them OK? that was what I was getting at. You said stuff had been delayed etc.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah, sorry, I get you now! :happy:

The delay was with the frame itself. All of the other parts are accounted for and waiting for the frame (and wheels) to arrive.

11. Vault-Tec

Ah OK cool. Well if you get stuck in future they are Schwalbe Smart Sam. They're LK too lol.

Probably a bit cheaper than Panaracer too, I know Panasonic's stuff ain't cheap.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hmm, they look much more like mountain bike tyres than the GravelKings, which isn't what I'm after... Also looks like the 700c versions only come as wire bead, which I absolutely hate, and they are about 40% heavier than the SKs. They are about £10 a skull cheaper than the Panaracers, though.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bike has now officially been ordered through cyclescheme. Big thanks to @Cookie Monster and @legoman for listening to all of my dumb complaints and questions on discord which I'm sure will increase ten fold once the thing arrives.

legoman and Vault-Tec like this.
  14. Cookie Monster

Who do I talk too about closing my account?

MLyons likes this.
  15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

No.

MLyons likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

They're like 70s track bike tyres tbh. I thought they might be rough or noisy but they're actually really good. Mind you I guess my fat arse does a good job of ironing them out lol.

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Most gravel tyres do look like 90's MTB tyres though

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Sorry, @Vault-Tec , I meant to say thanks for the recommendation, even if it's not quite ticking the boxes for me :happy: I'm always keen to hear about kit that other people have tried and enjoyed :thumb:

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

After help from various bit-tech members on multiple different platforms I now have my bike and it's setup. Not great mind you but it is setup. Gave it a ride and managed to do 20MPH in the car park so I think the assist works :rock:. Need to tweak the seat height, get a torque wrench, suspension and I should be golden.

enbydee, MadGinga and bawjaws like this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And up from the depths comes this thread...

I have a question. My 'hybrid' has 27.5x1.95 tyres on it and they're knackered (cracked side walls). I can't seem to find this size of tyre anywhere, it seems to be a non-standard size. Will a 2" tyre be OK on these rims? I can't imagine that the 0.05" (1.27mm) increase in width is going to make a massive difference, but I thought I'd ask the big bicycle brains who hang around in this thread...

Lots of stuff to do though...

[​IMG]

My hybrid:
    • Handlebars have rust spots
    • Needs new tyres
    • Disc brake pads are sus
    • Needs new tyres

OH's bike:
    • Might need new tyres
    • Rear brake seized
    • Handlebars have rust spots
    • Cassette rusted

My carbon fibre road bike:
    • Needs a new chain
    • Needs new tyres

Plus, of course, gears are out of whack - except on my road bike, that survived a couple of years in the shed pretty well.

Also: found a guest in my shed...

[​IMG]