1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A university I know of (mustn't name and shame...) bought a VERY expensive additive manufacturing machine, several years ago (probably at least £250k, and even that would be a severe underestimate). It's still sat in its crate...

IanW and liratheal like this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Waiting on a thing for a client, which I need by tomorrow at the latest 'cos it launches on Monday. Delivery estimate was Friday, but went out today. Hooray!

Check my emails after lunch: 1156, "delivery exception, customer not available or business closed."

I was in my living room eating a sandwich at 1156. My house is tiny: the front door was wholly visible from where I was sat. Nobody tried to deliver owt.

30 minutes on the phone to Customer Services, eventually waiting while an escalations team member gets in touch with the local depot.

During which time the driver rocks up with the parcel.

Turns out it was booked as a pre-1200 delivery, and he was running late - so rather than let the clock run out and explain his tardiness to his boss, he went through all the outstanding pre-1200 parcels in his van and marked 'em as delivery-attempted failures, in the hope that he could deliver them before anyone noticed the change in tracking status.

I'm happy, 'cos I've got the parcel, though it was annoying having to wait on hold for the guy to come back so I could tell him it's resolved. The driver, though? I reckon he's in for a bit of a lecture on forging tracking entries...

IanW likes this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'm pretty sure they were at least 100 Euros more per year, though. Our only IT provider (all hardware and almost all software) is a piece of work. For example, we're using 4500 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Active in our production (people working directly with trains), currently sold for around 300 on the free market. We pay 700 Euros per year. Yes. Not kidding. Really. Believe me. That was for a three year lease including service charge. Then we had to shorten the lease to two years because Samsung refused to guarantee software updates after said two year period (shocking, right?). This increased the yearly rate by a bit less than 50% (how generous!).

At least their service is great. When your lease for your laptop ends (after three years) you usually just have to wait 12 months for your replacement.

And that's why we have a lot of hardware sitting around and waiting.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, these were supplied by my employer on a lease, I dare say they cost more than the pricing info I can find. My employer is, apparently, not who you go to when you want something cheap.

perplekks45 likes this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Washing machine drainage pump's blown. The thing's ancient and undersized for our family these days, so I'mma upgrade. I just hope the new one will fit - it's a pretty tight squeeze under the unit!

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Been working beyond normal ability and stress handling and coping fine until someone expresses dissatisfaction with some data because they rushed the process, disheartneing more than anything as I've exceeded my job role, ability and salary for so long.

Just want to throw in the towel, tell them they've won, let someone else try.............but there is no one else

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

What a way to start the day !

[​IMG]

The clear coolant I ordered.

[​IMG]

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hit a bit of a depressive wall today, weather is gack ruining my entire weekends plans, work was demoralising so they ramped it up today with new processes coupled with the other issues it killed any motivation to do anything.
    Had a headache for the last few days I cannot shift an its steadily growing worse, cannot get warm at all and now my stomach is churning for reasons known only unto itself.
    Got so much to do but really works obliterated any motivation I had to do it.

9. Gareth Halfacree

A minor annoyance, but still.

A new book's come out I fancy reading. Not available in print in the UK yet, but there's a Kindle version. Okay, let's grab that.

"Kindle Price: £6.20. Your credits: -£6.20. You pay: £0.00."

Even better! <Buy now>

Phone goes BEEP-BEEP: "An online/telephone/mail-order transaction for £6.20 has just been processed on your credit card..."

Thanks, Amazon. <Return for refund>

10. Gareth Halfacree

New washing machine delivered with installation and recycling of the old one, 'cos I didn't fancy trying to carry the old machine down the steps myself.

...flag's missing from the isolation valve. They can't fit it.

Fitted a flag in about two minutes after they'd gone. If only I'd noticed two days ago!

They're coming back tomorrow, but for the minute we've got a whackin' gert fully-packaged washing machine taking up the living room. Bah.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Not a good end to the week..

My dad got rushed into hospital last night following another round of seizures. First time I have experienced seeing that as the previous times I have received the call from my mum that the ambulance was on scene.

Now we have the "fun" of trying to get updates from the hospital as to his current condition (I could go on a rant about this but it's not the time and place, let's just say some are much better than others).

What is really tearing at me is seeing my dad look at the clock on the wall (or at least in its direction) and repeat "No" over and over. For context (and for anyone who hasn't seen my previous posts in this thread) he is in palliative care for a terminal cancer (malignant brain tumour). Time given was 3-6 months and its only been 2 since diagnosis..

Yeah not good right now. :(

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, man. I can't imagine what you're going through right now. Nor can I offer much beyond sympathies and best wishes, other than to say we're here if you need to vent/rant/pour out your thoughts.

xaser04 likes this.
  13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Thanks, appreciate it.

Kind of lost atm but trying to stay strong.

14. perplekks45

Unfortunately, I can exactly imagine what you're going through and if I could I would stand next to you, squeezing your shoulder to give you strength. Not much more I could do, but I'd definitely try. Staying strong is hard work, I know, but it'll help you and everyone around you.

xaser04 and adidan like this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

A good cry never hurt any one mate. I wish I could cry more often, as it shifts a lot of weight but the meds I am on stop it. Shame.

Sorry you're going through that. Sending a big virtual man bear hug.

xaser04 likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Hang in there dude, I can also imagine what it's like, it'll have you feeling dazed.

Feel for you, as @David says we're about if you need to rant or just expel words.

xaser04 and perplekks45 like this.
  17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Thank you all for the kind messages. Had tea with my mum tonight and got some good news that she can visit him tomorrow.

Going to be a hard journey ahead but we will get through it.

David, IanW, Arboreal and 3 others like this.
  18. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

1) Having to work on a sunday, something I never do or should have to.
    2) Having to review a mass amount of data from a system migration, I'm not IT or was involved in the setup.
    3) Finding alot of data missing and reporting it to UK and America teams.

This is all above my paygrade and my give a f**k levels

19. perplekks45

Why do you do it then? Honest question.

20. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

No one else capable and not sure how one actually says no to work outside their job role even if they are capable