1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Retro itch - Amiga games and reputable sites

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ModSquid, 25 Sep 2020.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It certainly would interest me if I had any way to play vinyl :grin:.

But... More importantly... You Amiga weirdos didn't get the sampled version of that song in the intro...?

Huh. How quaint. This is the intro we Atari ST owners got... :grin:

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Err... That *is* the sampled version, isn't it? Did you listen to the Miggy version past the first few seconds?

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Then I'll have to go back and listen again, they sounded totally different to me!

Edit: Nope, the Atari ST and Amiga versions have totally different versions of that song in the intro. The Amiga version sounds more like it was composed on Amiga sound hardware with some samples used here and there. The Atari ST version sounds like the Bomb the Bass song playing at a lower resolution and bitrate.

Throughout the rest of the game the Atari version of the soundtrack definitely sounds inferior, but the Atari intro is miles better IMO.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2020
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The Amiga version is a tracker file, and I think the ST version is a straight recording - but both include the sampled speech missing from some other ports.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Then we disagree only in the meaning of the phrase "sampled version of that song" :grin:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

tss dada tss da tss dada tsss
    "Rubble wob rubrub rubble?"
    "Erm...let's see now...I'll take the Super Nashwan please. Here - have all my money."

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

ZipStik or GTFO!

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Nah, mate - one hand to hold the crappy base down (on any stick!) and operate the autofire switch, one hand to move and shoot both buttons. ZipStiks needed a team of two (or bolts to the desk) and from memory, both buttons did the same. Pfft. Amateur! :grin:

On a different note - I don't know how you find these things/what newsletters you're signed up to, Gareth, but this from that other site you linked was a good read - https://readonlymemory.vg/the-making-of-speedball-2/

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Pretty sure the vast majority of Amiga joysticks only had one fire button input, and the vast, vast majority of Amiga games were set up to accept only one fire button input.

And ZipStiks had decent suckers - I never had an issue with mine detaching from my desk :)

10. Gareth Halfacree

Did someone say ZipStik?

upload_2020-10-6_16-24-38.png

(The box with its backside facing the camera in the back's another ZipStik, too.)

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have a couple stashed away too - but no boxes here!