1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

tbh i always assumed the Android/Google pay limit was the same as a physical card.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I don't really care about new features, but I do care about security and privacy fixes.

Mr_Mistoffelees and Arboreal like this.
  3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Indeed but, what can you do? Banks aren't run for the benefit of the customers.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

According to the Google Pay website, there is no limit to the size of transactions, or the number you make each day. Perhaps some banks consider Google to be less reliable than Apple.

5. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

There are some stores that also limit ApplePay transactions so it's not just Google... I'm not a fan of Google but felt it necessary to let you know that it might be the store imposing the limit.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

I've already pointed out that the ₤60 payment was made by my wife, using ApplePay. The limit was not imposed by the shop.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, you didn't: you said your wife paid, and later said she often uses ApplePay without trouble. You didn't say she used ApplePay this time for this transaction, though it could be assumed (making an "ass" out of "u" and a guy called "Med.")

I don't think I've ever used my phone for contactless payments - but I do have a Curve card, which is functionally the same but in the form of a plastic credit card linked to all my other payment cards through a smartphone app. I have my own problems with that one, including it being issued as a Mastercard Debit which ends up being seen as a foreign card for certain transaction types...

(As an aside, and because my pet peeve won't shut up unless I mention it, "₤" isn't the symbol for Pound Sterling (at least, not since 1975): it's £, with one bar. And yes, I know typographically speaking they're allographs, but still. Per Unicode, £'s a "POUND SIGN" and ₤'s a "LIRA SIGN.")

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Me neither.

I never do banking of any sort on my phone.

It's more down to if I lost it more than anything.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Bloody hell man, you're worse than I am. As for ₤ not being the same as £, I just hadn't noticed, thanks.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  10. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Let's all have a piece of cheesecake and hug!

I use Applepay wherever I can... also, this "sign in with appleid" has got legs with me even though the site doesn't record a username and password that you can search for within the passwords page in settings... you just have to remember that that is how you signed in previously.

11. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Just paid1 for something.

(just to wind Gareth up really)

Gareth Halfacree and Pete J like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And apparently wind up those of us who use the dark theme on the forum :thumb: :grin:

Bazz likes this.
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, all I can see is a giant red LIRA SIGN

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Don't you mean a Pound Sterling symbol?

/troll :grin:

Gareth Halfacree and bawjaws like this.
  15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Careful. I heard that if you invoke him three times in front of a mirror at midnight, he appears and bores you to death with his pedantry!

16. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Getting a return back from an international seller, my return policy on the item was buyer pays return postage because it was described clearly as temperamental on one side (dual side CD separate) but working fine on the other. Obviously he's opened a case up about it and eBay has immediately taken his side... He seems nice enough and it is what it is.... I should have probably listed as parts not working and said it partially works.Now its coming back to me I have to reimburse the buyer the cost of postage... + cost of item

He's claimed it cost him 37 euros to send to me... Ugh... he's also claimed to have enclosed proof of postage inside the package but who knows.. (edit: looked at what it would cost to send the item off my own back to France and its estimated at 17 euros for express delivery, not suggesting he's lying but justifying why I was so shocked at the cost)

edit: Contacted eBay, the long and short of it is the return says "I should reimburse" not "you must" on top of that if the buyer doesn't add tracking information the case could be closed in my favour as currently its displayed as not being sent (despite me asking for the information) and he's leaving it very late. If upon return Its not different to the condition I sent it (he's not even described the fault so doesn't really have a leg to stand on) I'm within my rights to refund the item and not the return postage.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2020
  17. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Trying to transfer 115Gb of data between two machines and windows decides the transfer should take place at 2.7KB/s.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A piece of in-house bug tracking software I need to do my job got updated Friday.
    It now denies I exist, so I can't do my job. To make things even better, the software's developer is off sick.

#TwiddlingMyThumbs... :rolleyes:

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Been feeling sick and dizzy for a few weeks now, and it's getting worse. Last few days have been accompanied with severe headaches and, I discovered, what appears to be a badly swollen lymph node on my right-hand side.

Infection, right? Antibiotics should sort me out. But, of course, I'm no sawbones, so I need someone to write me the RX.

Rang my GP. Sat through what felt like ten minutes of pre-recorded "if you have Coronavirus, bugger off and bother someone else" messaging. Eventually landed on a message that said "if you're dying, call 999; if you're not dying, use the eConsult service on our website. Either way, bugger off."

Fine, hang up, go to the website. Fill in a bunch of tick-the-box symptom checkers, type out 500 words of my symptoms, 500 words of my pain, 500 words of any actions I've taken to treat it myself. "You need immediate medical attention. Call 111. The results of your survey will not be sent to your GP."

Fine, 111. 15 minutes of "if you have Coronavirus, bugger off and bother someone else," during which time I had to press 2 on the keypad five times to confirm I'm really, really, really not calling about Coronavirus. Eventually got through to someone, who basically read off the same checklist as the eConsult service. "Your GP surgery isn't accepting referrals, so you'll need to hang up and ring them."

Oh, for f... Fine. Hang up, call my GP again, sit through ten minutes of pre-recorded "if you have Coronavirus, bugger off and bother someone else" messaging, number eight in the queue, number seven, six, four, three, still three, stiiiiil three, two, two two... Receptionist. Call logged, the doctor will ring me... at some point. Probably.

Should have just ordered some amoxicillin from a dodgy Indian online pharmacy, it'd have been quicker.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

"Sorry but, you have picked the wrong time to be ill. Please try again in 2022."

Hope it's not too serious Gareth.