1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

RIP

spolsh, MLyons and The_Crapman like this.
  2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Well if my SCAN account and credit card are to believed I have just ordered a MSI 3070 Ventus 2X for £469.

Pro-tip: add high demand items to your wishlist on Scan and refresh that page rather than the product page. My wishlist refreshed instantly, the product page (which I had as backup) crashed hard!

A slight upgrade on my R9 390!

Last edited: 29 Oct 2020
    fuus, adidan, IanW and 2 others like this.
  3. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I went on Nvidia website ... waited for the buy now button .... got directed to Scan .... ADDED TO BASKET!!! Now im getting excited ... Do you think i can get to my basket to pay for damn thing .... hell no!!!

I dont want to jump on the hysteria bandwagon but i want a new card and this is really p*****g me off!!

Edit** gets to basket an now out of stock. Not a happy boy! What a joke

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

After printing (to PDF) my order confirmation the whole website just stopped responding and this was 1-2mins after go live so it seems that it just died under load. I do feel very lucky that I managed to get it at first attempt. Now here's hoping that scan don't cancel the order and that I don't have buyers remorse when the full 6800 reviews come out!

5. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I could pre - order in all honesty but i really wanted a FE card purely for the build quality. That said there was a Pallit one still available for £580 and im just not doing it. Want a new card yeah but i aint that desperate to get scalped £100 over the RRP .. ill let some other sucker have it.

So if the 6800 is supposedly $580 thats going to equate to £520 ish or something similar . Im just gonna hold out until then and see what happens .. if AMD are to be believed its like 18% ish quicker than the 3070 ...

Nvidia really have pants this up in the biggest way and pissed too many people off imo.

6. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I think I got one. Had the same issue with pages not responding but it eventually took me to the next step. I've had an email from scan confirming my order so hopefully all is good.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Personally, I would never trust Scan's stock control system!

MLyons and Fantus like this.
  8. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Yup. Been on the receiving end of "we know it's somewhere" several times.

MLyons likes this.
  9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Looking at getting the now confirmed [ish] refresh of the 3080 [TI?]. My guess is it will be announced around when the 6900 is released which is i think 5th of december?
    I would get the 6800XT but im locked into G-sync.

I will fix that in a couple years as my next big purchase after that. Want a monitor that can do Gsync and FreeSync so im not forced into nvidia every time.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I believe Navi did have clock issues, in the sense that it wouldn't run at max - maybe it thought it didn't need to - and would cause stuttering in games. I know that I've had that on my 580, and that Clockblocker was made to keep 3D clocks at max, and AFAIK, doesn't work on Navi. Example, Black Mesa my 580 at times would downclock to 700MHz because nothing was happening, and while it ran at >60fps stuttering would occur. Turn on clockblocker and force higher clocks and it'd be gone.

11. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Seems scans stock info didn't lie this time!

My card arrived this morning. Whole day of work before I can test it though!

I might do some before and after tests just for a laugh.

Goatee, Spanky, bawjaws and 2 others like this.
  12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

R9 390 in Hell let loose at epic settings <30 FPS
    3070 >90fps

Haven't tried anything else yet

MLyons and wyx087 like this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, you never want less RAM, never in any point in history do we use less resources, this one though as probably been falsely engineered to favour AMD.

I would struggle to buy a GPU with less RAM than the one I already have, it just feels wrong, unless its a laptop with lower res and lower resources generally.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

RAM (and used to be SSD) has always been the very first thing I upgrade on any laptop that I've been asked to look after (friend and family). I think the only limiting factor on laptops or mobile phones these days are the processor power budget. Everything else are small fish in grand scheme of things.

So I'd say there's zero reason to spec a £500 or £800 graphics card with less VRAM unless it's planned obsolescence.......

Hardware Unboxed released a Q&A video earlier today, one of the question: "2080 Ti or 3070 at same price". Both of the presenter felt 2080 Ti was a better, more rounded product.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The great advantage of a Partner Game.

"How to kill the competition off, by exploiting their current weaknesses."

Could this be the new "Can It Run Crysis" type game that everyone will spend thousands to upgrade for? Probably not.

Either way, I'm pleased to see UHD textures will start to become the norm.

wyx087 likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

It is suspect I won't lie. However, it was one of what? five? six? of their sponsored releases?

This may not even have anything to do with desktop GPUs. It could just be how a next gen console release works. I'm sure I read 12gb for graphics 4gb for system. Could be wrong on that, but yeah... We all know what devs do when given more of something.

I know AMD have been trying to get their consoles connected to their PC stuff for years. IE, getting it all in one environment under one roof and pushing out Nvidia. Sadly they never seemed to have good enough parts to do it. Until now. Consoles will still be coded for first and foremost. Wherever that leaves the PC? I guess we will get our answer to that over the next couple of years.

Like could I honestly say I reckon devs will make smaller more streamlined textures for PC users? No, no I couldn't. We will get the slop whether we like it or not.

18. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Just play at 1080p like me - VRAM for days!

enbydee likes this.
  19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The console guys are also relying on superfast SSDs to stream direct from disk to GPU, so the memory pool for the consoles can be quite large, sure its not superfast GDDR6 it is still fast cache.

20. Vault-Tec

Aye. Thankfully I think I have that pretty much covered. Well, in two rigs out of three. I guess I could always pinch my 480gb U.2 and put that in my rig at mum's for some game storage that goes very fast.