1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Just when we think this year can only get worse, this happened at the main hospital in our part of the world (Musgrove Park, Taunton):

DeadP1xels, IanW, perplekks45 and 2 others like this.
  2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Paid the finance off on the Fiesta today. Now just waiting on the letters confirming as such and will be finance free.

right pain trying to actually pay them mind. Could only take so much over the phone and the app logged me out when I hit confirm. Did it via faster payments in the end after checking their details twice with different representatives.

:happy:

3. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Had an interesting moment today. Was chatting with a female friend of mine about trimming eyebrows, periods and other lady stuff.

Felt a bit surreal initially. But. It. Felt. Natural. We both shed some tears after I told her how I felt about that discussion.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

just got back from my first airsoft game, was a hell of a lot of fun and made a load of new mates, can see this being a regular thing

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Usual visit to the auction house tomorrow so feels like Christmas Eve, booked my collection slot on Friday so I’ll be nice and early for collection which means nice and early listed!

My PayPal balance is looking healthy given I handed over £200 Thursday evening, 17 lots won in total. Few nice seiko automatic watches, a few weird lots I took a punt at... two constella DJ lights in flight cases I paid £5 a piece for (doubt these will go for a long while!)

This weeks wildcard lot is a golf bag with approximately 17-18 John Letters & Wilson clubs... will be sold separately of course and I doubt it’ll move quickly However, I paid the pricely sum of £5 for the entire lot so worse case scenario I take up golf....

6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Kudos to you, but that's one hell of a risk to take !

7. DeadP1xels

Failing that, could just give it away as a secret Santa....?

Usually the budget is £10 so I could whack a bottle of cheap plonk in the top to finish it off and a bow

TADAAA! get battered on the gold course...

spolsh likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ugh so mashed on pills. Any way, good news. Makes a change, because it's all been crap lately.

Mum had her fall two weeks ago now. Well, more than that, I have just lost all sense of time and days. It's just one big blurry mess ATM.

After mum's fall they operated on her knee and put in some plates. However, she now has to wear the plaster for nearly four months. At first they said she was getting a brace, but it was so bad and so smashed that she needs plaster. From her hip (as high as they could) down to her ankle. This means that basically she was looking at a 4 month hospital stay. Which would have ruined everything, including Christmas etc. Not that any of that matters, as of course she comes first, but when you live a life like mine where there's not much to look forward to it sucks. Any way, for the past two weeks she has been trying to get them to move her to Bognor hospital. Which is less than a mile from my flat, and about 4 miles from her twin sister who has been going up there every day. I have been three times, but hospitals make me so anxious and scared (because of my 4 month stint when I was 8) that it's all I could manage. Which is enough, as I got to see her on her birthday.

Any way, back to Bognor hospital. I asked mum last week if there was any news. She said no. I thought this was odd but didn't question it. Well apparently she had had some news, but telling me would have finished me. They wanted to move her to Horsham, about 50 miles away. Which is close enough to London and etc and Surrey that is in total lockdown. Meaning even if we could make that drive (100 miles round trip) we wouldn't be able to go in the first place. As I say, she didn't tell me any of this. I am glad tbh.

So my aunt went batshit, and the long and short of it is mum is going to live with her. My aunt has a large villa style bungalow with lots of rooms. Mum will have a carer visit each day to do the heavy stuff (washing her, helping her use the commode etc) and my aunt will feed and water her. Best of all my aunt's house is bang smack in the middle of my flat and my mum's, with it being 4.5 miles in either direction. A distance I should be able to make from mum's house on my bike, if I can get over this monged out stuff I am taking atm. I am hoping that will pass at least a little. Any way, the news is about as good as it could be right now.

At least we will all be spending Christmas together.

DeadP1xels, Arboreal, Pete J and 2 others like this.
  9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My wife was made redundant in February from a multilingual tech support job (project management software support in English, German, Dutch, and French) and immediately got another job. She was due to start that job at the end of March, the week after everything went into lockdown... Her start date was postponed indefinitely. Thankfully she had gotten a very good payoff from her previous job so we have been in no great difficulty with just my wages coming in.

She had not heard anything regarding a start date from this job so started to chase them up, nothing. So she started looking for other jobs, had a bunch of interviews over Teams and Zoom all for contract work, plenty of that about at the moment for IT work, especially if you speak additional languages. All nothing. But one company wanted to have a face to face interview for a support role for a new contract that they were hoping to win, A German speaking role in Derby. Off she goes and has a pretty informal chat with them only to find out that nobody there speaks German so nobody can verify that she can either... Whilst having a chat, the company owner mentions that they are hoping to get a Dutch contract as well as a French one on top of the German one that they are hiring for... So my wife jokes that "well then, I'm your ideal starter kit".

She's just been offered the job, they wanted her to start tomorrow, but hospital appointments and stuff. She starts Friday!! On 4k more than she was on previously. Working for/with people that she really got along with!!

We are both sooooo happy right now, the redundancy money was starting to get a bit low and there's no way that we can manage on my wages alone. I can finally feel myself starting to relax. I am going to sleep so well tonight. I'm so tired.

'Night everyone :grin:

10. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Me. I'm currently making my life awesome.

perplekks45, enbydee and Mister_Tad like this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Glorious Payday. The first full paycheck I've seen since the end of March! (because furloughed Apr 1 - Oct 1)

Byron C, perplekks45 and goldstar0011 like this.
  12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What'll you buy as a reward for yourself? :grin:

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'll drop some cash into my RTX3080/RX6900XT fund.

perplekks45 likes this.
  14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Judging by global stock levels you'll be able to save up for the Nvidia card until well into next year.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yep. That 3080 might become a 3090 by the time stock is generally available.
    In related news, I've posted in the "ruining" thread too.

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm watching The Rock.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  17. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Work has finally started on the build of Project 2077 (scratch build case mod) after several weeks of waiting for items to show up. Should have a decent progress post this weekend.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  18. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Beard removal session 3 on wednesday

Byron C likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Amazon Fire cube. I really thought it was just another way of getting me to pay more money for a longer run without it crawling. This thing is amazing though. Not only did my TV have CEC is it? which I was surprised by, but it also knew exactly what TV I had, and even knew about my Tag Mclaren.

No more needing five remotes all lined up every time I get up and go to bed !

This is class too. No more fumbling for the remote when the phone rings.

Arboreal likes this.
  20. DeadP1xels

Looming lockdown has resulted in one of my usual auctions going to a timed auction and local delivery rather than collection, Likely means I won't be buying much unless its REALLY worth it. I suspect the second will be cancelled all-together. I am gunning hard for a few lots however, mainly job lots of new children's toys and stocking fillers.

Not for resale, but to donate.

Lockdown hasn't really had any drastic financial impact on me, if anything taking up reselling has increased it and given me a lot of freedom, but I've seen so much hardship, I can't fathom the kinds of stresses and strains many people will be under coming up to Christmas.... as someone who was once in a pretty dire financial situation, I feel compelled to do my part.

I've taken off a bunch of new toys I'd already sourced and they'll be wrapped up in due course, between now and December is just to try increase that pile when the opportunity presents itself and give it to organisations that will be able to dish them out to children who need a bit of a smile.