1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD 6xxx Series (RDNA 2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 12 Sep 2020.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Do AMD not usually price the X and non-X models with the price to perf favouring the non-X? Feels like they've put them too close together, kinda like Ryzen 5000.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It does seem like the xt is too close price wise.

Not that it matters, that 6800xt is calling so long as I can get one with a waterblock. Cough. EK. Cough.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Roll on the reviews!

liratheal likes this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just watched LTT's sumary video, the 5870 'batmobile' card he had in front of him gave me terrible nostalga for my 5870!

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Take heart. 13m29s into the launch video a range of EKWB blocks are shown.

[​IMG]

liratheal and The_Crapman like this.
  6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's AMD Spyder all over again....

EDIT: Except this time actually good.

7. knarF

knarF Noob

When are we likely to see reviews for these things? I'm planning a new build at the moment and was planning on going RTX 3070, but I think I'll wait for the comparison and I can't be bothered to join in the pre-order clicking races when I don't have the rest of my build yet.

8. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

The 6800 and 6800XT will be available for purchase on November 18th so would assume reviews will drop then too. The 6900XT releases on December 8th.

9. knarF

knarF Noob

Thanks for the info.

What are people expecting AMD handling ray tracing to be like? It was one of the reasons I wanted to go with the rtx 3070.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It appears to handle it same as a 2080Ti, so not as good as a 3080 but probably good enough.

Reviews will inform us all in time, but all being well a 6900 will be mine, unless something in the reviews sticks out enough of a flaw to push me to NVidia.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Or there's no stock... :p

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

probably be the case, no problem really I am not exactly slumming it with a 1080Ti even if it only works on 4 lanes these days due to my muppetry. :wallbash:

B1GBUD likes this.
  13. ACTIVAT3D

ACTIVAT3D What's a Dremel?

FYI: Just got the response from Aquacomputer for water blocks. They will definitely manufacture blocks for the new AMD cards, so there will be other options than EK
    Hopefully, there will be some more information on those within the next few weeks, before the launch of the 6900XT.

Since most of us won't get Ampere cards before then anyways we at least can choose the better option. (Though the upcoming 3080ti and 3070ti might change things up again, which would explain the artificial shortage of regular 30-series)

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Taken from OC3D:

AMD has just released detailed benchmarking data for its Radeon RX 6000 series of graphics cards, comparing the company's new RDNA 2 lineup with Nvidia's RTX 3090, RTX 3080 and RTX 2080 Ti graphics cards.

Below, we have charts which showcase the performance of AMD's Radeon RX 6900 XT, RX 6800 XT, and RX 6800 on a Ryzen 9 5900X-based gaming platform with 16GB of 3200MHz memory with AMD's Smart Access Memory technology enabled in the system's BIOS.

AMD has tested 10 different games at 1080p and 1440p, and we will be presenting AMD's 4K benchmarking data below. A link to AMD's website is available at the base of this article if you wish to consume more of AMD's data.

[​IMG]
    Battlefield V

In Battlefield V, AMD's RDNA 2 lineup boasts a considerable performance advantage in DirectX 11 mode, with AMD's RX 6800 XT besting Nvidia's RTX 3090 graphics card while surpassing Nvidia's RTX 3080 be an even larger margin. Here, AMD presents the most value, though it is worth noting that this game was tested in DirectX 11 mode without ray tracing enabled.

[​IMG]
    Borderlands 3

Borderlands 3 delivers similar results to Battlefield V for AMD, with their RX 6800 XT besting Nvidia's RTX 3090 graphics card. That said, Borderlands 3 is a Radeon branded game, which already ran well on AMD's older Radeon RX 5000 series products.

[​IMG]
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

In Modern Warfare, AMD's RX 6000 series lineup bests their nearest Nvidia price competitors, with AMD's RX 6800 XT beating Nvidia's RTX 3080 graphics card bt a significant margin. That said, these benchmarks do not appear to have DXR ray tracing enabled.

[​IMG]

The Division 2

Ubisoft's The Division 2 provides Nvidia with their first solid performance win, with their RTX 3080 graphics card besting AMD's entire Radeon RX 6000 lineup.

[​IMG]
    DOOM Eternal

DOOM Eternal shows AMD delivering performance levels which are competitive with Nvidia, with AMD claiming a performance per dollar victory over Nvidia.

[​IMG]
    Forza Horizon 4

Forza Horizon 4 offers AMD a huge performance lead over Nvidia, with AMD's RX 6800 offering slightly more performance than Nvidia's more expensive RTX 3080 graphics card.

[​IMG]
    Gears 5

With Gears 5, AMD has claimed a huge price/performance advantage over Nvidia, with AMD's RX 6800 XT offering gamers more performance than Nvidia's RTX 3090 graphics card. Gears 5 is a Radeon branded title, so this level of Radeon optimisation is expected.

[​IMG]
    Resident Evil 3

In Resident Evil 3, AMD's RDNA lineup offer competitive performance with Nvidia and slightly more value when it comes to price/performance numbers. Even so, Nvidia's RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 do have a performance lead over their Radeon counterparts.

[​IMG]

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

With Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AMD is able to offer competitive performance levels, though it is worth noting that ray tracing is not enabled for these benchmarks.

[​IMG]
    Wolfenstein Youngblood

In Wolfenstein Youngblood, AMD's GPUs offer gamers with competitive performance levels. That said, this game does support DLSS 2.0, which gives Nvidia's RTX series graphics cards a considerable performance boost when enabled. DLSS 2.0 gives Nvidia a huge advantage.

More performance benchmarks from AMD are available here.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2020
    enbydee, adidan, wyx087 and 1 other person like this.
  15. rollo

rollo Modder

6800 normal really does look like a terrible deal, 20-25 fps behind across most games. But only $70 cheaper.

6800 XT looks even better priced compared to that.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can't see me picking up a B5**/X5** board and 5000 series cpu so i'll be interested in non-sam performance.

But yeah the 6800XT looks best value.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It'll be interesting to see what the perf is like without the secret sauce SAM and whatnot... bc lets face it, most people are not going to have a zen 3 cpu/board combo.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Also what the performance will be like on consistant APIs rather than cherry picked.

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm sure they've inflated the price on release, just so they can drop it later

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I've never understood the idea of not picking the best API to run the game :confused: imo it should always be every cards best cast scenario that's put forward as the result.
    Unless you mean that the Nvidia cards are also being forced onto the same API where they might perform better on a differnt API so giving an unfair representation - in which case I agree :p